PHP User Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: bbcode_highlight in ..../includes/functions.php on line 4197

PHP User Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: bbcode_highlight in ..../includes/functions.php on line 4197

[Discussion] When NOT to use Structured Exception Handling-VBForums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Discussion] When NOT to use Structured Exception Handling

[Discussion] When NOT to use Structured Exception Handling

Structured Exception Handling (SEH) is a good and efficient way to handle errors. But there are many shortcomings with the SEH which the unstructured counterpart addresses very well. Everyone keeps on recommending using SEH over unstructured exception handling (UEH). Yet they fail to address ways to counter situations which the UEH addresses very well. I feel that it is just a futile attempt by Java type thinkers to superimpose their thinking on us VB programmers.

MSDN says:
    Quote Originally Posted by MSDN
    Structured exception handling is significantly more versatile, robust, and flexible than unstructured. If possible, use structured exception handling.
    But in my real life situations I find just the opposite. Apart from very specific exceptional situations, I don’t see how SEH does better than UEH. I couldn’t find one instance where you would get into a situation which is handled in a better way using SEH as compared to UEH.

Here are some specific situations which I find UEH addresses much better than the SEH. (I will put the summary in this first post, and any code examples etc. in the later ones):
    1. When you do not care much about the error. Your primary concern is that your program should not stop. When it is one line of code, it doesn’t matter much. But imagine the complexity when it is 10 - 15 lines or more.
      Typical situations include memory cleanup routines, demo applications etc.
    2. When you want to jump back to the same line or the next line that caused the error, usually after you have corrected the problem with the error in the error handler routine.
      Typical situations include complex mathematical or logical problems, implement a Retry/Ignore/Cancel mechanism etc.
    3. Debugging complex code. Situations where you have long running code (maybe in a loop), but it errors out unexpectedly somewhere. You are having trouble spotting the line or specific case that is causing the error. You want to step into it from where it errored out, or simply break on the same line where the error occurred.
      A feature to temporarily disable all error handlers should have been handy. I liked the “Break on All Errors” feature in VB6. But it seems like they have removed it from .NET onwards. So what I do now is to temporarily put a “Resume” statement in the error handler code and put a breakpoint there; or maybe simply comment out the “On Error GoTo xxx” line. Sadly I can’t seem to do anything with the SEH in this situation, and it’s a pain in the *** debugging such code, especially when your procedure contains a lot of try…catch blocks.

More suggestions are welcome. I'll include them in this list if they fit here
    Last edited by Pradeep1210; Jun 5th, 2009 at 02:41 AM.
    Pradeep, Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Please appreciate posts that have helped you by clicking icon on the left of the post.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." — Charles F. Kettering

Read articles on My Blog101 LINQ SamplesJSON ValidatorXML Schema Validator"How Do I" videos on MSDNVB.NET and C# ComparisonGood Coding PracticesVBForums Reputation SaverString EnumSuper Simple Tetris Game

(2010-2013)
    NB: I do not answer coding questions via PM. If you want my help, then make a post and PM me it's link. If I can help, trust me I will...

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! kleinma's Avatar

Re: When NOT to use Structured Exception Handling

To be honest, there are valid counter points to all 3 of your points listed here.

1) You should care about ever error. Programs should not cause errors, so when they happen that means something was done incorrectly, or something is not stable on the system. Ignoring errors will never get you far.

2) you should never be jumping anywhere in code. You are talking about goto and it just produces spaghetti code. If you have some code that needs to run in a loop, and the given operation inside the loop can possibly cause exceptions to occur, then you can put SEH inside the loop, not outside the loop. This would give you the chance in your code to quit the loop based on certain error conditions, or continue processing to the next iteration of the loop. You could also split a given piece of code out into its own routine, so that you can call the routine in a loop, and handle individual exceptions in the given routine. No need to be jumping around in code via On Error GoTo type statements. This is very bad practice.

3) The only thing I can say about this is you must not be structuring your code in a way that makes it easy to debug. I am not sure if you are just saying your exceptions are bubbling up and you can't tell where they originated from (which is what a stack trace is for).

So I don't really consider an article telling people to NOT use SEH, even quoting MS who is saying you SHOULD use SEH, to be a good thing to be in the codebank.

I am open for discussion on this topic, but I think this really just belongs in the VB.NET forum for discussion. What do you think?

Please move it to the VB.NET forums.

I'll provide situations in support of my answers:
    1. When you do not care much about the error.

Statements
    vb.net Code:
    1. Private Sub CleanUpUEH()
    2.         ''unstructured error handling is intentional
    3.         ''cleanup and reclaim whatever memory we can, ignore if we can't
    4.         On Error Resume Next
    5.         Connection1.Close()
    6.         Connection2.Close()
    7.         Connection1 = Nothing
    8.         Connection2 = Nothing
    9.         DataSet1 = Nothing
    10.         DataSet2 = Nothing
    11.         DbAdapter1 = Nothing
    12.         DbAdapter2 = Nothing
    13.         Transaction1 = Nothing
    14.         Transaction2 = Nothing
    16.         ''I need to reach this line in all situations, giving each one of the above a try once
    17.         TaskProgress = 100
    18.     End Sub
    20.     Private Sub CleanUpSEH()
    21.         Try
    22.             Connection1.Close()
    23.         Catch ex As Exception
    24.         Finally
    25.             Try
    26.                 Connection2.Close()
    27.             Catch ex As Exception
    28.             Finally
    29.                 Try
    30.                     Connection1 = Nothing
    31.                 Catch ex As Exception
    32.                 Finally
    33.                     Try
    34.                         Connection2 = Nothing
    35.                     Catch ex As Exception
    36.                     Finally
    37.                         Try
    38.                             DataSet1 = Nothing
    39.                         Catch ex As Exception
    40.                         Finally
    41.                             Try
    42.                                 Connection2 = Nothing
    43.                             Catch ex As Exception
    44.                             Finally
    45.                                 Try
    46.                                     DataSet1 = Nothing
    47.                                 Catch ex As Exception
    48.                                 Finally
    49.                                     Try
    50.                                         Connection2 = Nothing
    51.                                     Catch ex As Exception
    52.                                     Finally
    53.                                         Try
    54.                                             DataSet1 = Nothing
    55.                                         Catch ex As Exception
    56.                                         Finally
    57.                                             Try
    58.                                                 DataSet2 = Nothing
    59.                                             Catch ex As Exception
    60.                                             Finally
    61.                                                 Try
    62.                                                     DbAdapter1 = Nothing
    63.                                                 Catch ex As Exception
    64.                                                 Finally
    65.                                                 End Try
    66.                                                 Try
    67.                                                     DbAdapter2 = Nothing
    68.                                                 Catch ex As Exception
    69.                                                 Finally
    70.                                                     Try
    71.                                                         Transaction1 = Nothing
    72.                                                     Catch ex As Exception
    73.                                                     Finally
    74.                                                         Try
    75.                                                             Transaction2 = Nothing
    76.                                                         Catch ex As Exception
    78.                                                         End Try
    79.                                                     End Try
    80.                                                 End Try
    81.                                             End Try
    82.                                         End Try
    83.                                     End Try
    84.                                 End Try
    85.                             End Try
    86.                         End Try
    87.                     End Try
    88.                 End Try
    89.             End Try
    90.         End Try
    92.         ''I need to reach this line in all situations, giving each one of the above a try once
    93.         TaskProgress = 100
    94.     End Sub
    Please appreciate posts that have helped you by clicking icon on the left of the post.

Read articles on My Blog101 LINQ SamplesJSON ValidatorXML Schema Validator"How Do I" videos on MSDNVB.NET and C# ComparisonGood Coding PracticesVBForums Reputation SaverString EnumSuper Simple Tetris Game

(2010-2013)
    NB: I do not answer coding questions via PM. If you want my help, then make a post and PM me it's link. If I can help, trust me I will...

In your UEH you are just being lazy and saying, try to do all these things, but if something craps out, i don't care.

That is just bad programming, I'm not trying to pick on you, but it is.

You aren't even calling dispose on any of those objects either. So any unmanaged memory that may have been allocated because of your use of those object, you don't free that memory, and you may be holding locks onto things because of it.

Your SEH example is just poor.

I could write the same code (but better because it will actually clean up the objects propery and dispose of them) just like this:

Code:
        Private Sub CleanUpSEHProperly()

CloseDBConnection(Connection1)
            CloseDBConnection(Connection2)

DestroyDisposableObject(Connection1)
            DestroyDisposableObject(Connection2)
            DestroyDisposableObject(DataSet1)
            DestroyDisposableObject(DataSet2)
            DestroyDisposableObject(DBAdapter1)
            DestroyDisposableObject(DBAdapter2)
            DestroyDisposableObject(Transaction1)
            DestroyDisposableObject(Transaction2)
        End Sub
        Private Sub CloseDBConnection(ByVal myConnection As Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection)
            'IF NOT DONE YET, CLOSE DB CONNECTIONS
            Try
                If myConnection IsNot Nothing AndAlso _
                   myConnection.State <> ConnectionState.Closed Then
                    myConnection.Close()
                End If
            Catch ex As Exception
                'HANDLE ERROR, MAYBE LOG EXCEPTION HERE
            End Try
        End Sub
        Private Sub DestroyDisposableObject(ByVal myObject As IDisposable)
            Try
                myObject.Dispose()
            Catch ex As Exception
                'HANDLE ERROR, MAYBE LOG EXCEPTION HERE
            Finally
                myObject = Nothing
            End Try
        End Sub

Both systems will work for many situations. There is not a functional advantage to one over the other (assuming that the items being deleted don't have any unmanaged issues) that I can see. However, that is not to say that there is not a reason to choose one over the other.

After all, GOTO works just as well as If statements, and has the same underlying code, yet I would never choose GOTO. Since the two are functionally equivalent, on what do I base my aversion to GOTO? One could simply answer: Clarity, but it goes far deeper than that. We don't write code simply to function, but to maintain, as well. If routines are written that cannot be maintained, are they actually useful? I would argue that in such a case they are only useful if they are utterly static and immutable, which is seldom the case with code. After all, it is hard to even re-use any non-trivial code that can't be maintained, because if it can't be maintained, it generally can't be comprehended sufficiently to know under which conditions it will work. This would argue that the way we code, indeed the very languages we use, as well as how we use them, are founded as much or more on clarity than on simple functionality.

With that understanding, SEH has value beyond its functionality. I would expect that we code largely by recognizing patterns in code and replicating those patterns. Every study of 'human intelligence' seems to end up in the same place: We are only really good at pattern recognition, and wherever we think we are being intelligent, we have actually just found a new way to apply our superior capacity for pattern recognition. Most higher level languages try to encapsulate code to facilitate recognition. The crime of GOTO is that it breaks the continuity of the code, making the pattern hard to recognize. UEH would do the same thing. The fact that an error will be ignored is not encoded into the pattern, whereas with SEH, the error handling is intrinsic to the pattern.

Just speculation, but not necessarily wrong, either.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Sorry.. my internet connection went off while I was posting.

Actually those statements I mentioned in the example are just indicative. What I meant out of them is that "they are some statements that might cause errors". Keeping in view that memory is cheap and abundantly available now, we don't care too much about a few objects that are left in the memory while our program is running as that will be automatically reclaimed anyway when our applications closes.
    Last edited by Pradeep1210; Jun 4th, 2009 at 11:30 AM.

(2010-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Pradeep1210 View Post
    Sorry.. my internet connection went off while I was posting.

Actually those statements I mentioned in the example are just indicative. What I meant out of them is that "they are some statements that might cause errors". Keeping in view that memory is cheap and abundantly available now, we don't care too much about a few objects that are left in the memory while our program is running as that will be automatically reclaimed anyway when our applications closes.
    What you are saying here is that instead of writing good code, you are fine with writing bad code, because you don't think there will be much of an impact on the application, so it is ok to cut corners and be lazy about this part of your application.

Everyone wants to spend time writing the application itself, but never to write the proper error handling and other parts that make the application work correctly. They just want straight processing and want to assume everything will work all the time, and when it doesn't well who cares.

Just like all the people I see posting on here "my app works on my computer, but it doesn't work on anyone elses". Because people just write an app, assume it will always work just because it does on 1 computer, and think they are done.

Writing code is like painting or any other art. Some people are good at it naturally, some people need to learn a lot before they are any good, practice will always make you better.

Someone can paint a crappy painting and call it art, just like someone can write crappy code and call it a program. Just because it may work, is never an indication it was written well. As shaggy says maintenance and life cycle is very important to a program. Just because you CAN do something in code, doesn't mean its the best way to do it. UEH is really ONLY in the VB language now because SEH didn't exist in VB before .NET, and lots of code needed to be easily ported over to .NET from VB6. It is legacy...

Also if you were to go on a job interview for a dev job, and they asked you to write out some error handling code, and you gave them either of your SEH or UEH examples from your post, I don't think you would be hearing back from them.

there's two points I want to touch upon here....

First #3:
    Debugging complex code. Situations where you have long running code (maybe in a loop), but it errors out unexpectedly somewhere. You are having trouble spotting the line or specific case that is causing the error. You want to step into it from where it errored out, or simply break on the same line where the error occurred.
    A feature to temporarily disable all error handlers should have been handy. I liked the “Break on All Errors” feature in VB6. But it seems like they have removed it from .NET onwards. So what I do now is to temporarily put a “Resume” statement in the error handler code and put a breakpoint there; or maybe simply comment out the “On Error GoTo xxx” line. Sadly I can’t seem to do anything with the SEH in this situation, and it’s a pain in the *** debugging such code, especially when your procedure contains a lot of try…catch blocks.
    Ctrl+alt+E = brings up an Exceptions dialog box.... It's that second entry you are interested in "Common Language Runtime Exception" ... first checkbox under the "Thrown" column... if it's checked, works like VB6's Break on all Errors.... when un-checked works like "Break on Unhandled Errors" ... if you also uncheck the second column, it isn't going to stop for no-one (works like it would for the end user).

Next #2:
    When you want to jump back to the same line or the next line that caused the error, usually after you have corrected the problem with the error in the error handler routine.
    Typical situations include complex mathematical or logical problems, implement a Retry/Ignore/Cancel mechanism etc.
    On one hand I agree... I wish there was a "Retry" command I could use at the bottom of my Catch to-rerun the Try block.... but there isn't.... so you have to settle for a loop of some kind, where you check a flag.... and the last thing in your try should be the flipping of that flag to exit the loop.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Am I just going crazy or did Microsoft initially have a "Retry" in VB.Net?

I have a vague recollection of seeing it when they were doing the very first round of .Net roadshows, ie you'd have Try...Catch...Retry...Finally

Just doing a little googling finds this on microsoft.com where someone is bemoaning the fact that VB.Net has Retry but C# doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by keystone_paul View Post

I have a vague recollection of seeing it when they were doing the very first round of .Net roadshows, ie you'd have Try...Catch...Retry...Finally

Just doing a little googling finds this on microsoft.com where someone is bemoaning the fact that VB.Net has Retry but C# doesn't.
    If they did, it was likely only in the VB7 beta, I don't think it ever made it to RTM even in .NET 1.0, because if it had, it likely wouldn't have gotten dropped due to compatibility issues. I started using .NET from VB6 when 2003 came out, so I am not sure what beta or versions of 2002 may have had that feature.

Yeah it may well have been a beta release of the very first .Net.

Despite playing with the first versions I didn't really switch to .Net in anger till 2005 so I wasn't sure if it was something that was around and then ditched.

Only very few keywords have ever been actually dropped from the language, and I think most of them were around from the original BASIC versions and very early Basic procedural programming.

Hell, even REM still exists for commenting

Keystone - no you aren't crazy - I remember seeing the samething too... but then the first time I tried it, it wasn't there.... so I thought maybe I imagined it... I have a feeling it was breiefly in some beta version of 1.0... and for what ever reason dropped.....

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by kleinma View Post
    1) You should care about ever error. Programs should not cause errors, so when they happen that means something was done incorrectly, or something is not stable on the system. Ignoring errors will never get you far.
    That adds a lot of code that is unnecessary for us depending on specific situation. As coders, we are not decision makers. If we are told to suppress errors, we must suppress errors. So, what happens when we “intentionally” want to suppress any error that is raised? The reason could be anything ranging from business to technical.

2) you should never be jumping anywhere in code. You are talking about goto and it just produces spaghetti code. If you have some code that needs to run in a loop, and the given operation inside the loop can possibly cause exceptions to occur, then you can put SEH inside the loop, not outside the loop. This would give you the chance in your code to quit the loop based on certain error conditions, or continue processing to the next iteration of the loop. You could also split a given piece of code out into its own routine, so that you can call the routine in a loop, and handle individual exceptions in the given routine. No need to be jumping around in code via On Error GoTo type statements. This is very bad practice.
    No, I’m not talking about GOTO. I’m talking about resuming from error. An error handler mechanism should provide some way to locate and optionally jump back to the same line that produced the error, and possibly resume processing from there after I have done the necessary error handling. If the mechanism provides no way, it is not robust. If the mechanism wants me to think the same way its designers thought, it is not flexible either.
    Take a situation where I have a long mathematical problem, spawning many lines of code. A divide by zero may occur at any line. All I want to do in such case is that reset the divisor to 1 and continue from same line again until I have achieved my aim. And what happens if I want the user to give me a new divisor and continue when a divide by zero error occurs??
    3) The only thing I can say about this is you must not be structuring your code in a way that makes it easy to debug. I am not sure if you are just saying your exceptions are bubbling up and you can't tell where they originated from (which is what a stack trace is for).
    Yes, I mean the same. But I want it to break on the same line where the error occurs, so that I can examine everything in detail at that point to understand the root of the problem – all variable values, all objects, all data etc that might be related to that situation. Situation becomes complex when the error doesn’t always occur at the same point (depending on class data).
    So I don't really consider an article telling people to NOT use SEH, even quoting MS who is saying you SHOULD use SEH, to be a good thing to be in the codebank.
    My sole point of quoting MS was that the statement is misleading. Which code should we call versatile, robust & flexible? One that allows whatever you want to do, the way you want to do (whether it is considered right or wrong practice by others is a different issue altogether); or the one that does not provide ANY way of doing what you want to do?

(2010-2013)

"Take a situation where I have a long mathematical problem, spawning many lines of code. A divide by zero may occur at any line. All I want to do in such case is that reset the divisor to 1 and continue from same line again until I have achieved my aim. And what happens if I want the user to give me a new divisor and continue when a divide by zero error occurs??"
    Use what I call Offensive programming, rather defensive..... CHECK the values first... if there's a possiblity that a divisor could be 0, check for that value first... if it's 0, slap the user on the hand and tell them to enter something reasonable. Validate the data first. If there's a chance bad data could get through, then rather than reacting to it, be proactive, and don't let it in the front door in the first place. Exceptions are expensive processing wise.... if there's something you can do to prevent the exceptions in the first place, do so.

"If we are told to suppress errors, we must suppress errors." - I can't even begin to think of what kind of .........[remark suppressed]......... would think that ignoring errors is a valid business decision.... I don't even want to think the problems something like that could cause down the road. That's just insane.... probably a good thing I don't work there... if I did, it wouldn't be for very long.

-tg

That adds a lot of code that is unnecessary for us depending on specific situation. As coders, we are not decision makers. If we are told to suppress errors, we must suppress errors. So, what happens when we “intentionally” want to suppress any error that is raised? The reason could be anything ranging from business to technical.
    the point is that errors should not be happening at all, and when they do you should be handling them. I don't write code that tries to convert a string into an integer value, and just wrap it in a try/catch block to HOPE it succeeds but not care if it fails. That is why I use things like integer.tryparse() which will not produce an error when a parse fails, and will not require a try/catch block in the first place. If you are not the decision maker, then whoever your decision maker is, isn't a very good software developer. To just say something like "well who cares if my app is eating up another 10MB of memory with objects it isn't using, it will all go away when i close the app". That is just plain BAD PROGRAMMING. I can't say anything else about it, but just not caring how bad your code is, is bad programming.

No, I’m not talking about GOTO. I’m talking about resuming from error. An error handler mechanism should provide some way to locate and optionally jump back to the same line that produced the error, and possibly resume processing from there after I have done the necessary error handling. If the mechanism provides no way, it is not robust. If the mechanism wants me to think the same way its designers thought, it is not flexible either.
    Take a situation where I have a long mathematical problem, spawning many lines of code. A divide by zero may occur at any line. All I want to do in such case is that reset the divisor to 1 and continue from same line again until I have achieved my aim. And what happens if I want the user to give me a new divisor and continue when a divide by zero error occurs??
    divide by 0 in a complicated math routine should only happen if
    a) you didn't validate user inputs prior to using them in your math
    b) your math routine is not implemented properly

Even if you did have a routine that does a complex math routine, and could divide by 0, I would simply put that code in its own function, and wrap the function in exception handling.

You say you are not talking about GoTo, but what do you think "on error resume next" is? It is really just a goto.

Yes, I mean the same. But I want it to break on the same line where the error occurs, so that I can examine everything in detail at that point to understand the root of the problem – all variable values, all objects, all data etc that might be related to that situation. Situation becomes complex when the error doesn’t always occur at the same point (depending on class data).
    You can do this with the stack trace... next time you have an error that bubbles up several exception handlers, so where its being caught is NOT the same routine where the exception occurred, then pull up the stack trace window, and you can step through each line of code that got you to the handler, all the way back to the exception, since class data should not have changed during the bubble up of the exception (unless you did this yourself in code) then the class data is still there for you to debug and look at, and see the values of your data.

My sole point of quoting MS was that the statement is misleading. Which code should we call versatile, robust & flexible? One that allows whatever you want to do, the way you want to do (whether it is considered right or wrong practice by others is a different issue altogether); or the one that does not provide ANY way of doing what you want to do?
    as shaggy said, versatile, robust, and flexible is not ALWAYS solely in a features capability, but also in its logic flow and maintainability.

All you have really said here is "to use try/catch blocks requires more code for me to write than on error resume next, since on error resume next is only 1 line of code and I don't care what errors out." You also state that you have a hard time finding why an exception occurred, yet you don't care about catching and handling them at all, so that seems somewhat contradictory to me too. Perhaps you are talking about different scenarios on UEH usage, but either way, try/catch does everything you could need it to do, and as I showed you in my example code, you don't need that giant mess of nested try/catch blocks to correctly dispose and clean up objects.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Both systems will work for many situations. There is not a functional advantage to one over the other (assuming that the items being deleted don't have any unmanaged issues) that I can see. However, that is not to say that there is not a reason to choose one over the other.

After all, GOTO works just as well as If statements, and has the same underlying code, yet I would never choose GOTO. Since the two are functionally equivalent, on what do I base my aversion to GOTO? One could simply answer: Clarity, but it goes far deeper than that. We don't write code simply to function, but to maintain, as well. If routines are written that cannot be maintained, are they actually useful? I would argue that in such a case they are only useful if they are utterly static and immutable, which is seldom the case with code. After all, it is hard to even re-use any non-trivial code that can't be maintained, because if it can't be maintained, it generally can't be comprehended sufficiently to know under which conditions it will work. This would argue that the way we code, indeed the very languages we use, as well as how we use them, are founded as much or more on clarity than on simple functionality.

Just speculation, but not necessarily wrong, either.
    There are situations where a GOTO is much more beneficial (cleaner) than putting a lot of nested IFs. But since we are not discussing GOTO here, but exception handling, we will not go more into this (maybe start another thread for this).

What you are saying here is that instead of writing good code, you are fine with writing bad code, because you don't think there will be much of an impact on the application, so it is ok to cut corners and be lazy about this part of your application.

Everyone wants to spend time writing the application itself, but never to write the proper error handling and other parts that make the application work correctly. They just want straight processing and want to assume everything will work all the time, and when it doesn't well who cares.
    In a project lifecycle, it is not necessary that the same person that wrote the initial code is also maintaining that code. What do you do of a badly written code that you are given to maintain now. You can’t complain that you can’t work on that, because it is badly written. That gives a bad impression about you on your bosses, since the person who originally wrote the code had a good reputation in the organization.
    Usually we code how our bosses want us to code. We are not trying to cut corners or be lazy. It is usually that you are not given enough time to write error handlers. If your boss has given some unrealistic deadline to the client, you must confirm that deadline or lose business. Whether you use SEH or UEH is immaterial to him. SEH usually involves more lines of code, planning and testing than UEH where you can get away with maybe possibly bad working code. If the SEH inspite of all goods can’t bring you business, it’s a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    there's two points I want to touch upon here....
    First #3:
    Ctrl+alt+E = brings up an Exceptions dialog box.... It's that second entry you are interested in "Common Language Runtime Exception" ... first checkbox under the "Thrown" column... if it's checked, works like VB6's Break on all Errors.... when un-checked works like "Break on Unhandled Errors" ... if you also uncheck the second column, it isn't going to stop for no-one (works like it would for the end user).
    That’s a great thing you pointed out.
    I had been long looking for this feature but was unable to find. I wonder why it is not there on the mouse right click or menu (I mean why it is hidden in a shortcut).
    Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Next #2:
    On one hand I agree... I wish there was a "Retry" command I could use at the bottom of my Catch to-rerun the Try block.... but there isn't.... so you have to settle for a loop of some kind, where you check a flag.... and the last thing in your try should be the flipping of that flag to exit the loop.
    Nice to see at-least someone agrees with me to some extent. I knew from the beginning that this topic would face sharp criticism. But if it can clear my doubts (probably help some others like me too), I’m ready for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by keystone_paul View Post

I think they could not implement that properly in the SEH and finally removed it. And now they want to justify themselves by saying that SEH is superior to UEH without quoting adequate reasons for some of those missing features in SEH, that UEH has.

(2010-2013)

Pradeed, I think maybe you just need to explore SEH a bit more... I think you are missing a few key concepts. I don't see a single place where UEH is better or has any advantage over SEH.

Here, I just wrote some code that will try to open a text file, if it fails, it tries again, but only 3 times, if it fails after 3 times, it will give up. This uses SEH, no goto or on error statements are needed. The logic is simple and easy to follow.

Code:
            Dim attempts As Integer = 0
            Do
                Try
                    attempts += 1
                    Dim x As String = My.Computer.FileSystem.ReadAllText("something.Txt")
                    ' exit the loop if no errors
                    Exit Do
                Catch ex As Exception When attempts = 3
                    Exit Do 'only when failed 3 times
                Catch ex As Exception
                    ' process the error here and implicitly re-enter the loop
                End Try
            Loop

Pradeep1210, I'm noticing that you're actually preferring to use very outdated methodology in .Net, why is this? Do you just not want to learn the better ways of programming these days?

Even I have never used things like 'On Error Resume Next 'or even 'GoTo' since vb4

I think you're just looking for a good argument to keep using your lazy code and calling it good.

Pradeed, I think maybe you just need to explore SEH a bit more... I think you are missing a few key concepts. I don't see a single place where UEH is better or has any advantage over SEH.

Here, I just wrote some code that will try to open a text file, if it fails, it tries again, but only 3 times, if it fails after 3 times, it will give up. This uses SEH, no goto or on error statements are needed. The logic is simple and easy to follow.

Code:
            Do
                Try
                    attempts += 1
                    Exit Do
                    Exit Do 'only when failed 3 times
                Catch ex As Exception
                End Try
            Loop
    Now try it without using an "Exit" keyword...
    Last edited by JuggaloBrotha; Jun 4th, 2009 at 02:10 PM.
    Currently using VS 2015 Enterprise on Win10 Enterprise x64.

CodeBank: All ThreadsColors ComboBoxFading & Gradient FormMoveItemListBox/MoveItemListViewMultilineListBoxMenuButtonToolStripCheckBoxStart with Windows

Quote Originally Posted by JuggaloBrotha View Post

Code:
            Dim SuccessOrGiveUp As Boolean = False

Do Until SuccessOrGiveUp
                Try
                    attempts += 1
                    SuccessOrGiveUp = True
                    SuccessOrGiveUp = True
                Catch ex As Exception
                End Try
            Loop

How would Retry work? My understanding is that if you have a situation where A calls B which calls C which calls D, and you wrap A in a Try...Catch block, and D throws an exception, then the exception would bubble back up the stack, unwinding each call until the exception is caught in A. If A then had a Retry statement, what would have to be retried? Surely it would retry the line that raised the exception down in D, which would only be possible if the stack had never been unwound. It seems to me that to do that would requite D to know something about the sequence of calls that were used to reach it, so that it would know that state had to be retained. Since local variables are created on the stack, and there is the GC for non-local variables unwinding is relatively easy. If you had to retain the state for B-D, that wouldn't be so easy.

Quote Originally Posted by JuggaloBrotha View Post
    Pradeep1210, I'm noticing that you're actually preferring to use very outdated methodology in .Net, why is this? Do you just not want to learn the better ways of programming these days?
    Even I have never used things like 'On Error Resume Next 'or even 'GoTo' since vb4
    I think you're just looking for a good argument to keep using your lazy code and calling it good.
    At workplace there has seldom been a chance that I or any of my colleagues coding in .NET initiated any code that involves UEH or GOTO. (It’s all legacy code wherever it is.). We all go by the blind belief what others including MS say – “Use SEH.” And I do that in practice too. But I’m never satisfied with what others say until I believe in that too.
    Why I feel SEH is inferior to UEH is – Why are there things in UEH that are absent in SEH? And why does everyone still recommend SEH inspite of that?
    This is what I meant with my divisor example:
    vb.net Code:
    1. Private Function Calculate(ByVal dividend As Integer, ByVal divisor As Integer)
    2.     On Error GoTo ErrH
    3.     Dim result As Integer
    4.     Do While result <> 100
    5.         'calculation1
    6.         'calculation2
    7.         'calculation3
    8.         'calculation4
    9.         'calculation5
    10.         'calculation6
    11.         'calculation7
    12.         'calculation8
    13.         'calculation9
    14.         'calculation10
    15.         'calculation11
    16.         'calculation12
    17.         'calculation13
    18.         'calculation14
    19.         'calculation15
    20.         'calculation16
    21.         'calculation17
    22.         'calculation18
    23.         'calculation19
    24.         'calculation20
    25.     Loop
    26.     Return result
    27. ErrH:
    28.     If Err.Number = 11
    29.         divisor = InputBox("Divisor was Zero. Enter new Divisor:")
    30.         Resume
    31.     Else
    32.         'other handler
    33.     End If
    34. End Function
    Each calcualtexx is a mathematical statement, and a divide by zero error might occur. Divisor changes at each step. This is UEH. What will be the equivalent SEH? Do I put each one in a try...catch? Or create a one line function for each one?
    Last edited by Pradeep1210; Jun 4th, 2009 at 03:08 PM.

(2010-2013)

I wouldn't use exception handling at all in that case. While it is quicker to write the code to use exception handling, the situation is not exceptional. Some systems take noticeable time to throw even a single exception. Therefore, using exception handling in place of testing for invalid conditions with an If statement, will have a noticeable negative impact on performance.

I think you are coming up with bad coding examples to showcase why you think bad exception handling is good.

That example doesn't do any justice to your cause because you are trying to do math calculations with values you didn't sanitize before using them. Any decent coder is going to check to see if that passed in value, especially if it came from user input, is 0 before using it as a divisor...

If anything, you would throw a DivideByZero exception, which you could catch in the calling code. If you wanted to keep having them enter something, then you would just use the simple loop logic I showed above to continute to prompt them for a new divisor. Using that method you would never do 1 line of math that would actually result in the divide by 0 error occuring.

How would Retry work? My understanding is that if you have a situation where A calls B which calls C which calls D, and you wrap A in a Try...Catch block, and D throws an exception, then the exception would bubble back up the stack, unwinding each call until the exception is caught in A. If A then had a Retry statement, what would have to be retried? Surely it would retry the line that raised the exception down in D, which would only be possible if the stack had never been unwound. It seems to me that to do that would requite D to know something about the sequence of calls that were used to reach it, so that it would know that state had to be retained. Since local variables are created on the stack, and there is the GC for non-local variables unwinding is relatively easy. If you had to retain the state for B-D, that wouldn't be so easy.
    I've thought about that too.... I'd imagine that the ReTry would Re-Try the Try block..... a sort of "do-over" .... a sort of variation of Resume (which would re-try the line that errored). If not the whole Try block, then it could re-try the point at which the stack came back out into the current block.... so if a called b and b called c and c throws an error that comes all the way back to A.... it would re-try at the call back into B..... ReTry Next could then work the same as Resume Next ...... I'm not sure how viable any of that is though.....

-tg

No... I'm not trying to come up with bad coding examples to showcase anything. All I'm trying to come up with is valid situations where we want to jump back to offending code.
    The input parameter divisor is not Zero. However during execution of the loop, it might somewhere become Zero. I want to reset it there itself to some other number and continue from there.
    If I do that in calling function, how do I skip those lines before that line that caused the Divide by Zero, when I call it again?

(2010-2013)

I wouldn't use exception handling at all in that case. While it is quicker to write the code to use exception handling, the situation is not exceptional. Some systems take noticeable time to throw even a single exception. Therefore, using exception handling in place of testing for invalid conditions with an If statement, will have a noticeable negative impact on performance.
    Basically the equivalent (without any exception handling) would be something like this:
    vb.net Code:
    1. Private Function Calculate(ByVal dividend As Integer, ByVal divisor As Integer)
    2.         Dim result As Integer
    3.         Do While result <> 100
    4.             If divisor <> 0 Then
    5.                 'calculation1
    6.             Else
    7.                 divisor = InputBox("Enter new Divisor:")
    8.                 'calculation1
    9.             End If
    11.             If divisor <> 0 Then
    12.                 'calculation2
    13.             Else
    14.                 divisor = InputBox("Enter new Divisor:")
    15.                 'calculation2
    16.             End If
    18.             If divisor <> 0 Then
    19.                 'calculation3
    20.             Else
    21.                 divisor = InputBox("Enter new Divisor:")
    22.                 'calculation3
    23.             End If
    25.             If divisor <> 0 Then
    26.                 'calculation4
    27.             Else
    28.                 divisor = InputBox("Enter new Divisor:")
    29.                 'calculation4
    30.             End If
    32.             If divisor <> 0 Then
    33.                 'calculation5
    34.             Else
    35.                 divisor = InputBox("Enter new Divisor:")
    36.                 'calculation5
    37.             End If
    39.             If divisor <> 0 Then
    40.                 'calculation6
    41.             Else
    42.                 divisor = InputBox("Enter new Divisor:")
    43.                 'calculation6
    44.             End If
    46.             If divisor <> 0 Then
    47.                 'calculation7
    48.             Else
    49.                 divisor = InputBox("Enter new Divisor:")
    50.                 'calculation7
    51.             End If
    53.             If divisor <> 0 Then
    54.                 'calculation8
    55.             Else
    56.                 divisor = InputBox("Enter new Divisor:")
    57.                 'calculation8
    58.             End If
    60.             If divisor <> 0 Then
    61.                 'calculation9
    62.             Else
    63.                 divisor = InputBox("Enter new Divisor:")
    64.                 'calculation9
    65.             End If
    67.             If divisor <> 0 Then
    68.                 'calculation10
    69.             Else
    70.                 divisor = InputBox("Enter new Divisor:")
    71.                 'calculation10
    72.             End If
    74.             'and so on ....
    76.         Loop
    77.         Return result
    78.     End Function

(2010-2013)

@Pradeep: I'd still be using an If statement, because the cost of an exception is too high to be desirable if there is ANY other option.

@TG: The only way I can see Re-Try working would be if there were no function calls in the block. You can come up with plenty of more plausible examples, but in the situation that I described, with A->B->C->D, what would happen if B showed a form prior to calling C? The catch block would see the error as being the call to B, so I would expect a re-try to re-show the form, which could get ugly. Thus, the only place I think the re-try could start would be at the line of code in D that raised the exception.

Worse, if D trapped exceptions and re-threw them, what would a Re-try mean for an exception handler in A? Does it restart at the point in D where the exception was thrown?

I can barely remember how On Error Goto worked, but I seem to remember that it didn't propagate errors back out of the sub it was in. It should be the same as A retrying the call to B, with all the problems that could create.

Basically the equivalent (without any exception handling) would be something like this:
    vb.net Code:
    6.             Else
    8.             End If
    10.             If divisor <> 0 Then
    11.                 'calculation2
    12.             Else
    13.                 divisor = InputBox("Enter new Divisor:")
    14.             End If
    16.             If divisor <> 0 Then
    17.                 'calculation3
    18.             Else
    19.                 divisor = InputBox("Enter new Divisor:")
    20.             End If
    22.             If divisor <> 0 Then
    23.                 'calculation4
    24.             Else
    25.                 divisor = InputBox("Enter new Divisor:")
    26.             End If
    28.             If divisor <> 0 Then
    29.                 'calculation5
    30.             Else
    31.                 divisor = InputBox("Enter new Divisor:")
    32.             End If
    34.             If divisor <> 0 Then
    35.                 'calculation6
    36.             Else
    37.                 divisor = InputBox("Enter new Divisor:")
    38.             End If
    40.             If divisor <> 0 Then
    41.                 'calculation7
    42.             Else
    43.                 divisor = InputBox("Enter new Divisor:")
    44.             End If
    47.                 'calculation8
    48.             Else
    50.             End If
    52.             If divisor <> 0 Then
    53.                 'calculation9
    54.             Else
    55.                 divisor = InputBox("Enter new Divisor:")
    56.             End If
    58.             If divisor <> 0 Then
    59.                 'calculation10
    60.             Else
    61.                 divisor = InputBox("Enter new Divisor:")
    62.             End If
    64.             'and so on ....
    66.         Loop
    67.         Return result
    68.     End Function
    Yes, in general, though I dislike InputBox, and if divisor was really just a single variable there would be more efficient ways to write the thing.

There are many more lines of code there, but the performance will be sufficiently better that it really can't be avoided. Exceptions are the one thing that I am aware of which can negatively impact perceived performance in business apps. In high performance games, and the like, Exception handling in that fashion is out of the question, since it can drop frame rates below 1fps.

vb.net Code:
    6.             Else
    8.                 'calculation1
    9.             End If
    11.             If divisor <> 0 Then
    12.                 'calculation2
    13.             Else
    14.                 divisor = InputBox("Enter new Divisor:")
    15.                 'calculation2
    16.             End If
    18.             If divisor <> 0 Then
    19.                 'calculation3
    20.             Else
    21.                 divisor = InputBox("Enter new Divisor:")
    22.                 'calculation3
    23.             End If
    25.             If divisor <> 0 Then
    26.                 'calculation4
    27.             Else
    28.                 divisor = InputBox("Enter new Divisor:")
    29.                 'calculation4
    30.             End If
    32.             If divisor <> 0 Then
    33.                 'calculation5
    34.             Else
    35.                 divisor = InputBox("Enter new Divisor:")
    36.                 'calculation5
    37.             End If
    39.             If divisor <> 0 Then
    40.                 'calculation6
    41.             Else
    42.                 divisor = InputBox("Enter new Divisor:")
    43.                 'calculation6
    44.             End If
    47.                 'calculation7
    48.             Else
    50.                 'calculation7
    51.             End If
    53.             If divisor <> 0 Then
    54.                 'calculation8
    55.             Else
    56.                 divisor = InputBox("Enter new Divisor:")
    57.                 'calculation8
    58.             End If
    60.             If divisor <> 0 Then
    61.                 'calculation9
    62.             Else
    63.                 divisor = InputBox("Enter new Divisor:")
    64.                 'calculation9
    65.             End If
    67.             If divisor <> 0 Then
    68.                 'calculation10
    69.             Else
    70.                 divisor = InputBox("Enter new Divisor:")
    71.                 'calculation10
    72.             End If
    74.             'and so on ....
    76.         Loop
    77.         Return result
    78.     End Function
    This is why some of us are having a hard time taking your arguements seriously... that's way over the top....

Code:
    Private Sub CheckDivisor(ByRef divisor as Integer) As Integer
                If divisor = 0 Then
                    divisor = InputBox("Enter new Divisor:")
                End If
    End Sub

Private Function Calculate(ByVal dividend As Integer, ByVal divisor As Integer)
            Dim result As Integer
            Do While result <> 100

CheckDivisor(divisor)
                 'calculation1
                 CheckDivisor(divisor)
                 'calculation2
                 CheckDivisor(divisor)
                 'calculation3
                 CheckDivisor(divisor)
                 'calculation4
                 CheckDivisor(divisor)
                 'calculation5
                 CheckDivisor(divisor)
                 'calculation6
                 CheckDivisor(divisor)
                 'calculation7
                 CheckDivisor(divisor)
                 'calculation8
                 CheckDivisor(divisor)
                 'calculation9
                 CheckDivisor(divisor)
                 'calculation10
    See how much simpler that was?

-tg

@Pradeep: I'd still be using an If statement, because the cost of an exception is too high to be desirable if there is ANY other option.

@TG: The only way I can see Re-Try working would be if there were no function calls in the block. You can come up with plenty of more plausible examples, but in the situation that I described, with A->B->C->D, what would happen if B showed a form prior to calling C? The catch block would see the error as being the call to B, so I would expect a re-try to re-show the form, which could get ugly. Thus, the only place I think the re-try could start would be at the line of code in D that raised the exception.

Worse, if D trapped exceptions and re-threw them, what would a Re-try mean for an exception handler in A? Does it restart at the point in D where the exception was thrown?

I can barely remember how On Error Goto worked, but I seem to remember that it didn't propagate errors back out of the sub it was in. It should be the same as A retrying the call to B, with all the problems that could create.
    I don't discount that there's issues to work out with it.... I'm just saying, it's an item on my wishlist.... and all of the points you raised are valid, and could be exactly why it was quietly dropped.

-tg

the code doesn't even make sense logically, since you are altering the divisor in the midst of doing 20 calculations using that divisor, how is that ever going to produce any kind of output of use to you? Especially if your defense here is that the divisor is being altered as part of the routine. I fail to see any real world scenario for any code like that...

besides, I would still just implement something like this (which by the way restarts the entire calculation when divide by 0 occurs, not just pick up where it failed with a totally new divisor:

Code:
        Private Function Calculate(ByVal dividend As Integer, ByVal divisor As Integer) As Integer
            Dim result As Integer = 0
            Try
                'calculation1
                'calculation2
                'calculation3
                'calculation4
                'calculation5
                'calculation6
                'calculation7
                'calculation8
                'calculation9
                'calculation10
                'calculation11
                'calculation12
                'calculation13
                'calculation14
                'calculation15
                'calculation16
                'calculation17
                'calculation18
                'calculation19
                'calculation20
                Return result
            Catch ex As DivideByZeroException
                Throw ex
            End Try
        End Function
    CALLING CODE
    Code:
        Private Sub DoCalculations()
            Dim UserCancelOrSuccess As Boolean = False
            Dim myDividend As Integer = 100
            Dim myDivisor As Integer = 0

Do Until UserCancelOrSuccess
                Try
                    Calculate(myDividend, myDivisor)
                    UserCancelOrSuccess = True
                    'PROMPT USER FOR NEW DIVISOR WITH A DIALOG (NOT INPUTBOX FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS HOLY)
                    'IF A NEW DIVISOR IS GIVEN, THEN WE WILL TRY THE OPERATION AGAIN, YOU CAN EVEN VALIDATE
                    'THE DIVISOR IN THIS DIALOG TO PREVENT AN ENTRY OF 0 TO START WITH
                    'IF USER CANCELLED THE DIALOG, CANCEL THE OPERATION
                    If dlgGetNewDivisor.ShowDialog() = DialogResult.OK Then
                        myDivisor = dlgGetNewDivisor.Divisor
                    Else
                        UserCancelOrSuccess = True
                    End If
                End Try
            Loop

End Sub

And you would need the CheckDivisor call before each statement? In the normal course of the routine the divisor may become zero once in say 1000 times, but we are checking for it after each line?

(2010-2013)

Code:
        Private Function Calculate(ByVal dividend As Integer, ByVal divisor As Integer) As Integer
            Dim result As Integer = 0
            Try
                'calculation1
                'calculation2
                'calculation3
                'calculation4
                'calculation5
                'calculation6
                'calculation7
                'calculation8
                'calculation9
                'calculation10
                'calculation11
                'calculation12
                'calculation13
                'calculation14
                'calculation15
                'calculation16
                'calculation17
                'calculation18
                'calculation19
                'calculation20
                Return result
                ''Don't want to throw ex
                ''If error occurred at calcualtion9
                ''We want to set divisor = 1
                ''And retry calculation9
                ''What do we do??
            End Try
        End Function
    Last edited by Pradeep1210; Jun 4th, 2009 at 03:58 PM.

(2010-2013)

show me 1 real world example where it would make any sense at all to do 20 compounding math calculations (which modify the end result variable AND the divisor variable that was passed into the routine in the first place) and when divide by 0 occurs, you will reset the divisor to 1 and keep going.

It doesn't make any sense, it will produce unexpected results...

Each calcualtexx is a mathematical statement, and a divide by zero error might occur. Divisor changes at each step.
    I just wanted to add this: no it won't. Or rather, if it does, you have coded it lazily. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that you get a divide by zero error. The check for a zero denominator is so basic and simplistic, that not putting a check in is either laziness or you aren't paying attention (or making the all too common programmers mantra 'that can't happen').

Edit: here's my 'real world' example: calculating the intervals on a chart axis. You know the minimum, you know the maximum. The user enters 10.0 for the maximum, and 10.0 for the minimum...Oh noes! Oh noes! It's actually the programmers job to handle this gracefully. It's simplicity to check for this occurrence and prevent an actual error. But what then? Well, things become more complicated - this is where programmers (in my opinion) stick their heads in the sand/switch off their brain (if it was switched on to begin with). They now have to think of a logical and reasonable way of handling of that situation, and what the user expects. Programmers are not users, so almost always get it wrong - they have to think about non-programming issues - and when they've come up with the the user expectation, they have to write extensive code to handle this one div0 error. All because the user (sic) messed up!

[ I know the answer to this, but if anyone says 'throw a message box to the user' I will come through the red pixels of your monitor and slap you ].
    Last edited by SJWhiteley; Jun 4th, 2009 at 04:23 PM.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

show me 1 real world example where it would make any sense at all to do 20 compounding math calculations (which modify the end result variable AND the divisor variable that was passed into the routine in the first place) and when divide by 0 occurs, you will reset the divisor to 1 and keep going.

It doesn't make any sense, it will produce unexpected results...
    Here is another example that is more close to real world.
    vb.net Code:
    1. Try
    2.     'Sub1()
    3.     'Sub2()
    4.     'Sub3()
    5.     'Sub4()
    6.     'Sub5()
    7.     'success/failure of each of these Subs depends on
    8.     'some external process doing some work in realtime.
    9. Catch ex As Exception
    10.     'ask user if he wants to Retry/Ignore/Cancel
    11.     'Retry=Try that Sub again
    12.     'Ignore=Try the next Sub
    13.     'Cancel=Get out of here
    14.     'so if exception occurred in Sub3, we don’t want to retry Sub1 & Sub2 in any case.
    15. End Try

Quote Originally Posted by SJWhiteley View Post
    I just wanted to add this: no it won't. Or rather, if it does, you have coded it lazily. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that you get a divide by zero error. The check for a zero denominator is so basic and simplistic, that not putting a check in is either laziness or you aren't paying attention (or making the all too common programmers mantra 'that can't happen').
    Nah.. I’ve not coded lazily. Nor I’m not assuming “that can’t happen” because I’m trying to handle the same “that can’t happen”. It can happen but once in a blue moon (i.e. exceptional case). Since it is an exceptional case, I obviously won’t put a check at each statement.
    The point I have been trying to bring out is how to handle a set of exceptions that might occur with all statements within a block. Then provide a common solution and resume from that point again, until our goal is achieved. I pointed out one in this case (divide by zero), but it could be many others that might occur at each step. We even know of the action to be taken in each case, but want to continue after we have taken the required action. SEH provides NO way to do that but is still called superior. UEH provides ways to do that but is still called inferior.

(2010-2013)

You can certainly come up with a real world example where it would be quicker to write a single line. The question I raised earlier was whether it was BETTER to write a single line. There is never an advantage to the running of the program, it is only a question of aesthetics. In the previous case, you'd have to assume that you have no control over the code in the subs (either you didn't write them or you are working in a system where you can't alter them), since the code is less than ideal as it stands. However, if you DO assume that you have no means to alter the subs, or alter the fact that they ARE subs, then it comes down to whether it is easier to write one line or write several.

In the short term, I would say that one line is easier. In the long term, I would say it is not easier for two reasons:

1) I don't have faith that On Error style error handling will remain a part of the language, which would cause downstream trouble.

2) I don't have faith that learning On Error style error handling will continue to be a part of the experiences of VB programmers, so you will be writing a construct that does not communicate well.

3) And as a bonus: While a contrived example can be identified where it is easier to not use SEH while also leaving the code fairly comprehensible, those examples are contrived. After all, you need to have a situation where:
    a: You can re-run the same item with a reasonable chance for success without needing to ask the user to make a choice.
    b: You can't change the code to prevent the exceptional situation in the first place.

If the first one is not true, then SEH will work just as well, and will ultimately be cleaner. If the second one is not true, then the whole question is moot.

Ok, here we go.
    For your examples on the math equations, doing 20 calculations in a row is just shotty math at best. Figure a way to simplify most of your equations.

Also, implement a structural test to see if you'll ever get a division by 0, or any error involving 0's

Example:

Lets say I am doing vectors, right? We do some work out, and the ending equation ends up like so:
    Dim Answer As Double = Math.Sqrt((x ^ 2) + ( y ^ 2))
    That is the magnitude. What you actually should do to prevent errors here, is to do this:
    Dim z As Double = (x ^ 2) + (y ^ 2)
    If z = 0 Then
    Throw new ex As DivideByZeroException
    Else
    'Do math here
    End If

I have to agree, most of your examples are just terrible at proving that UEH is better than SEH. The developers of the language are saying SEH is better than UEH, and obviously, things from UEH aren't in SEH. That leaves it up to us to make our code work, and chances are, if we design the code to tolerate errors by using Try, End Try, and Catch statements, typically we can avoid nasty error calls and have the user change any variables submitted.

This too is a vaild method for catching errors. It does work faster than throwing exceptions on some systems, because its just a simple check.
    vb.net Code:
    1. If x = 0 then
    2. 'do this
    3. Else
    4. 'do something else
    5. End if.

Also, what I do during debugging stages (which this is probably very bad coding, but during alpha stages, when I'm just testing it, it doesn't matter.) is just recall the function inside of itself if there's an error, OR I do a line by line step to see where there could be a problem.

vb.net Code:
    1. Private Function CheckNumbers(ByVal num As Integer)
    2. If num < 0 Then
    3. 'Ask user for new number, set it to variable num2
    4. CheckNumbers(num2)
    5. ElseIf num > 0 Then
    6. Messagebox.show("Number > 0")
    7. End If

I hope I kept my post remotely on subject.

Re: [Discussion] When NOT to use Structured Exception Handling

While I agree that my examples are not up to the mark in proving that UEH is superior to SEH, the intention is not to prove that either. Just as I said in one of the earlier posts, I don’t use UEH myself unless absolutely necessary, nor do I recommend anyone to use it until they introspect the pros and cons of each approach themselves. The examples I quoted here are all hypothetical situations to depict that there “could be” situations when a programmer needs to jump back to the offending line for whatever reason. They may not have been the best examples in the world and certainly not the way I would have done them in my applications.
    I don’t represent MS and need not necessarily follow a sheep heard mentality blindly believing what they say. My only point here is why should they miniaturize the SEH constructs taking away our flexibility and force us to think/program in a particular way; and still say that SEH is more versatile, robust & flexible than UEH. They provide warnings during compilation for bad code (e.g. variable declared without ‘as’ clause etc.), and a simple warning should have sufficed here too. So why do they want to “force us” to code in a good way?? Was the implementation of equivalent constructs on the lines of Resume and Resume Next so hard to implement in the SEH model?
    So close your ears and eyes once and compare the versatility, robustness and flexibility of each approach yourself and decide for yourself which one fits where.
    I don’t criticize anyone and I want a healthy friendly discussion on the topic. (Thanks to everyone who is participating in the discussion on this topic.)
    Though all my examples are hypothetical, just assume that you are in a situation when you want to jump back to the offending code. What do you do? All the ways suggested by everyone here are just workarounds or alternative ways to handle the problem. No one ever exactly pointed out how to do that, quoting either bad practice, poor example, lazy attitude, situation won’t ever arise etc. etc. as reasons.

Take situation in post #37 as example. Since, we are coding a hypothetical situation, assume we have full control over the code of each sub as well as the calling routine.
    We have 5 different procedures (maybe more, don’t go by number). Assume error occurs in Sub3(). We ask the user what to do, and he tells us to retry. How do we code this using pure SEH approach?

(2010-2013)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast