Thread: [RESOLVED] Web browser control

Addicted Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Web browser control

Awhile back I lost access to my webbrowser control. Now I need it and have started looking around for the fix to the problem. It appears it is an IE7 related issue and probably started this issue when my old computer crashed and I had to reinstall a new HD and OS.

The fixes I have found both here and on google talk about changing the reference in your program from ieframe.dll to shadowvc.ocx or change it from windows//ieframe.dll/1 to windows//ieframe.dll which would be great if I had a file already started but I don't.

I tried reinstalling vb6 which didn't work. I also tried reinstalling IE7 from microsoft but after about 30 minutes of the setup program running and doing nothing I had to control alt delete and end the program. It was not responding.

How can I load my webbrowser control for a project I am wanting to start?

Thanks

Frenzied Member

Re: Web browser control

So, when you right click on the toolbox and select components you do not see Microsoft Internet Controls? Well then, browse to the shadowvc.ocx (could have sworn that was a dll???).

Good Luck
    Option Explicit should not be an Option!

Lively Member

Code:
    http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?ieframe
    The ieframe file is there. Put it in the sys32 folder and then Start>Run>"regsvr32 ieframe.dll"

Without the quotes.

Also, do you not have any internet explorer on your computer? Wouldn't that make Windows not function properly? Doesn't the My Documents and browsing your folders and things all run on that?

Addicted Member

I may be wrong about it being an OCX.

When I look at the components the Microsoft Internet Control is there. When I try to add it I get this error message.

File Not Found: 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\IEFRAME.dll\1'
    The 'C:\WINDOWS\System32\IEFRAME.dll\' is where it is supposed to be but there is no \1'. This apparently stems from IE7 using the other file or something.

One of the fixes is to load an existing VB file with a reference to that component, I believe it is the form file that contains the reference to the IEFRAME.dll and to change it to the shadowvc.dll or remove the \1 or something. I didn't have a file with that reference anyway. I tried looking at the example code but couldn't find it in there either.

I have a feeling this isn't going to turn out good by some of what I read today. Hopefully I am wrong.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by ebonez View Post
    Code:
    http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?ieframe
    The ieframe file is there. Put it in the sys32 folder and then Start>Run>"regsvr32 ieframe.dll"

Without the quotes.

Also, do you not have any internet explorer on your computer? Wouldn't that make Windows not function properly? Doesn't the My Documents and browsing your folders and things all run on that?
    DllRegisterServer in ieframe.dll failed.
    Return code was: )x80004001

This problem is well documented. There just doesn't seem to be a good fix for it.

Frenzied Member

Okay, lets try this from the beginning. First Project>References>shadowvc.dll>ok. Then try to add the control. See if that works, or...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Option Explicit should not be an Option!

Addicted Member

Okay so I unzipped it to a directory and when trying to load the project got the same error, ieframe.dll/1 not found.

It loaded a picturebox named webbrowser1 instead of the browser control. That is what happens when you load a form with that control without the associated project.

It builds a log file and here is what the logfile says

Line 13: Class SHDocVwCtl.WebBrowser of control WebBrowser1 was not a loaded control class.

Here is the reference in the Project file

Object={EAB22AC0-30C1-11CF-A7EB-0000C05BAE0B}#1.1#0; shdocvw.dll

I tried changing it to this

Object={EAB22AC0-30C1-11CF-A7EB-0000C05BAE0B}#1.1#0; ieframe.dll

and resaved it as Project2.vbp and loaded it and got the same error
    Last edited by sneakers; Jun 4th, 2009 at 12:42 AM.

Addicted Member

I went at that backwards. The first thing you said about Project/References etc. worked. I had to browse to the folder and it never showed up in the list but the control still loaded. It appears to work.

Thanks a lot. I am fixing to go and test it and be sure it works right but as soon as I am sure it does I will mark this thread as resolved.

I feel sure it will work fine. The problem before was that it wouldn't load.

Thanks Again