dcsimg

Thread: "Runtime Error '401': Can't show non-modal form when modal form is displayed."

Hyperactive Member

"Runtime Error '401': Can't show non-modal form when modal form is displayed."

What causes this? I've looked into it, but not found very much information.

It occurs when my app starts up and displays a splashscreen while loading another form.

Thanks

Re: "Runtime Error '401': Can't show non-modal form when modal form is displayed."

The cause is pretty much what the error says.

Once a modal form is shown, only way to show another form is
    1. Close/Hide all modal forms and then show the non-modal form
    2. Open every form thereafter as vbModal

So the splash screen is being shown modal? If so, it must show the the other form as modal also or simply don't show the splash as modal. You will get this error also if the other form is trying to show itself while a modal form is displayed....

Example:
    1. frmSplash.Show vbModal
    2. frmSplash then loads other form: Load frmOther <no error yet>
    3. in other form's Load event: Me.Show <error because frmSplash is modal>
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Re: "Runtime Error '401': Can't show non-modal form when modal form is displayed."

This normally occurs when there's a Show instruction for the form that's loading before the end of the Form_Load event, in other words the end of the Form_Load event is trying to show the form that's already showing, causing the error.

Ensure that the form is not visible at the end of the Form_Load event. If the form is required to be visible during loading for debugging purposes add an Me.Hide instruction at the very end of the Form_Load event.
    Homer: To start press any key. Where's the 'any' key?

Hyperactive Member

Gotcha.

My frmSplashscreen form is the startup form. My frmMain form contains a webbrowser control. On the DocumentComplete event of my webbrowser in frmMain, it triggers this among other tasks:

Code:
     frmMain.Show
     Unload frmSplashscreen
    Flipping those two around should solve the problem, correct?

(Only some users of my product are receiving this error - I am not, so that's why I didn't just test to see myself)

Ooops, got my wires crossed ignore my advice above!!
    Homer: To start press any key. Where's the 'any' key?

Hyperactive Member

:P Ok, thanks guys

As an interesting side note, it seems to be users that have custom XP themes who have this issue. Not sure if they're using something like WindowBlinds or the UXTheme patch.