Thread: [Serious] Product / domain name

Smile [Serious] Product / domain name

Hello All

I am planning on making an open source web application to allow colleges / universities to easily accept coursework electronically.

However I am having problems thinking of a catchy name. It doesn't have to follow the usual web 2.0 standard, but if it works then I will consider it.

Any ideas ?

Many Thanks,
    Vans

type Woss is new Grumpy; wossname's Avatar

Re: [Serious] Product / domain name

With those aspirations, I think the name of it is the least of your problems.

Can you describe the product in some detail, how does it differ from all the rival products etc...?
    I don't live here any more.

We have something like that, but for uploading source code for programs. It's called handin.

Yeah. there are already a few good sites that do this: TurnItIn.com and SafeAssign.

What they do it allow electronic copies to be turned in, but they also search the internet for matching phrases, as well as other copies of the assignment already turned in, to prevent coping and plagiarism.

Thanks for your reply Wossy.

Well for a start there doesn't appear to be an open source alternative, saying that there doesn't seem to be an alternative that is generic, those that exist are internal systems for universities.

The alternatives as I see them are as follows:

- Internal upload systems (manly universities)
    - Email
    - Paper based

The system itself will core around a basic upload of a file (for the student), a report will be created when ever required including the following information:

- Who has / hasn't handed in the assignment
    - Whether or not it was late

The teacher will receive an email when the assignment due date has passed with the report.

The student will be sent a receipt when the assignment has been successfully submitted.

Students will be able to see a summary of their assignment schedule with the ability to output this as an iCal / RSS for appropriate applications.

EDIT:

Cheers KRegg + Dylan

Dylan, TurnItIn.com is neither free or open source, and that is what I am trying to achieve.
    Kregg, I haven't see this already, is it exclusive to your educational establishment?

I googled HandIn, and it looks very ugly. ILMV can make a better looking on. Ben, why are you not online?

type Woss is new Grumpy; wossname's Avatar

Forgive me for saying, but this seems to be built upon a basis of distrust.

It assumes that the student is automatically going to plagiarise, and that they will submit their work late.

Given the high likelihood that students are too lazy to submit all their stolen work on time, why should they use your application?

"Locks are only proof against the law-abiding" - anon
    I don't live here any more.

It is based on the need to make this process more efficient, where the establishment is using outdated techniques such as paper based or even email.

On the course I am on we have a specific time to get a piece of work in (as I assume most universities do), any work after this time usually will get a fail. My college is using email to accept work, but that means the teacher has to root through their clogged inbox to find assignments, download each attachment individually whilst keeping an eye on the times they were submitted.

That, in a nutshell is the problem I am trying to solve.

I disagree with your point about students being too lazy to submit their work on time, in my experience there are usually only a few that neglect to meet with the due date and it is important that teachers are aware of this.

How about MyCourseWorkChannel or just CourseWorkChannel? I'd recommend using an online synonym website to get ideas based off of keywords that describe the software and its purpose.
    Chris

VB 6.0 Calendar App Video Gamers Group
    Don't forget to rate people if they helped you.

Cheers Chris! I am looking at the site right now

http://www.synonyms.net/ has even more word choices. I usually use sites like these when looking for names of software, websites, etc. You can also try http://www.netsubstance.com/ it generates random names primarily for websites but it did come up with CourseWarp, CourseExchange, FileFly. You just have to sift through a lot of useless names but there are some hidden gems.
    Chris

VB 6.0 Calendar App Video Gamers Group
    Don't forget to rate people if they helped you.

Quote Originally Posted by I_Love_My_Vans View Post
    Kregg, I haven't see this already, is it exclusive to your educational establishment?
    Just read your post again and noticed the web application bit. Why must I be such a dunce

But yeah, it's exclusive to my university, it's an actual UNIX program as opposed to a web service, but we do use Moodle for getting notes and handing in CW too. TBH, I had that at my sixth form college too.

Quote Originally Posted by wossname View Post
    Forgive me for saying, but this seems to be built upon a basis of distrust.

It assumes that the student is automatically going to plagiarise, and that they will submit their work late.

Given the high likelihood that students are too lazy to submit all their stolen work on time, why should they use your application?

"Locks are only proof against the law-abiding" - anon
    You must've went to a completely different university/college than I have. Most of the students I see are always after #1, and the ones who try to steal coursework are the very few minority, like 1%. Agreed, some people might collaborate, but then (at least in my university) if the coursework looks suspiciously similar, then they get a word from the head of the department, as well as the head of the university, so collaboration of ideas is encouraged, but collaboration of answers is the path to a very red bottom, metaphorically speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by kregg View Post
    Just read your post again and noticed the web application bit. Why must I be such a dunce

But yeah, it's exclusive to my university, it's an actual UNIX program as opposed to a web service, but we do use Moodle for getting notes and handing in CW too. TBH, I had that at my sixth form college too.
    Cool, the problem my college has is that the IT department are complete idiots, and there will never be an occasion where they can code a home grown system.

Creating a web app to facilitate this would benefit them hugely, as well as the students as I have figured out first hand