Thread: [RESOLVED] Check for file on web and Also exit a loop

Hyperactive Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Check for file on web and Also exit a loop

How would i check to see if a file exits on a website before attempting to download it?

Also in my code ive enclosed the instructions in Do loop and if the file doesnt exist i want to skip the code and loop to the next file.
    "Programming is like sex. One mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life." ~Michael Sinz

Code Snippets/Usefull Links:
    WinRAR DLL|Vista Style Form|Krypton Component Library|Windows Form Aero|Parsing XML files|Calculate File's CRC 32|Download a list of files.

Re: Check for file on web and Also exit a loop

Try to navigate to that file. If the browser returns 404 - File not found, you know that the file doesn't exist. So in that case, skip to next file (put the entire block in an If...End If).
    Pradeep, Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Please appreciate posts that have helped you by clicking icon on the left of the post.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." — Charles F. Kettering

Read articles on My Blog101 LINQ SamplesJSON ValidatorXML Schema Validator"How Do I" videos on MSDNVB.NET and C# ComparisonGood Coding PracticesVBForums Reputation SaverString EnumSuper Simple Tetris Game

(2010-2013)
    NB: I do not answer coding questions via PM. If you want my help, then make a post and PM me it's link. If I can help, trust me I will...

Hyperactive Member

Im using a class i wrote to go through a list and download the according file but i want to check to see if the file exists first. How would i check to see if it returned a 404 error?
    "Programming is like sex. One mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life." ~Michael Sinz

WinRAR DLL|Vista Style Form|Krypton Component Library|Windows Form Aero|Parsing XML files|Calculate File's CRC 32|Download a list of files.

Frenzied Member

TRY/CATCH should return an error if it doesn't exist.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
    TRY/CATCH should return an error if it doesn't exist.
    I know of that method also but thats not my main issue here. Im trying to figure out how to continue looping even though the exception is being thrown and until it finishes looping then it exits.

Hyperactive Member

vb Code:
    1. Do While i < 0
    2.             'code goes here
    3.         Loop

Take that as an example. If i was 3 and i wanted to skip all the code on the first loop how would i do it? Like a 'next loop' kind of thing?

If you want to skipp an iteration in a loop, "Continue" is the keyword. The following code will skip 1 iteration when i = 3.
    Code:

Do while i < 5
        If i = 3 Then
           Continue
        End If
        'Do your stuff here

i += 1
    Loop
    Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.
    - Abraham Lincoln -