Thread: vbCFBitmap vs vbCFDIB

Hybrid View

Addicted Member

vbCFBitmap vs vbCFDIB

Hello everybody. I know the Clipboard object supports two formats, Bitmap and DIB. I also know that bitmaps can either be device-dependent or device-independent. The difference between these two formats goes beyond my competency and I don't want to delve into it. However, I hear that all bitmaps are stored in memory as DIBs, so my question is: what difference does it make whether I store a bitmap in the clipboard into the bitmap or the DIB "folder"? Thank you.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Joacim Andersson's Avatar

Re: vbCFBitmap vs vbCFDIB

vbCFDIB stores both the bitmap and the palette while vbCFBitmap is only the bitmap.

vbCFBitmap + vbCFPalette = vbCFDIB

Addicted Member

Okay, so the difference is not relevant nowadays, since palettes are not used anymore with modern displays, right?

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Joacim Andersson's Avatar

A DIB is always a device independent bitmap and for such a bitmap you need a palette.

Addicted Member

What I mean is that, as far as I know, nobody fusses about setting palettes anymore, koz the video driver takes care of everything. As a matter of fact, the form's Palette and PaletteMode are completely ignored, and hPal returns 0, unless you run VB under 256-color emulation. This doesn't mean that palettes are useless: as you pointed out, they're necessary for DIBs.