Thread: [RESOLVED]reference parent class from inside child class

Resolved [RESOLVED]reference parent class from inside child class

I have a 'property management class' that contains several functions and properties. I have several other classes that use the 'management class' as a property to derive the value of several of its other properties. Is there a way for me to reference the outer class from the 'management class' functions without having to pass it as a parameter? I ask because several different classes can have this 'management class' as a property and am having a hard time typing the parameter.
    Last edited by DemonMade; Apr 13th, 2009 at 08:57 AM. Reason: [RESOLVED]
    No one is perfect, but it doesn’t hurt to try.

Re: reference parent class from inside child class

In the management class add a constructor that accepts the class name.

vb.net Code:
    1. Public Sub New(byval parent as Object)
    2.     me.Parent = parent
    3. End Sub
    So when you create this management class object, you can do it in this way:
    vb.net Code:
    1. Dim myPM as New ManagementClass(Me)

Inside the management class you can now use the Parent variable/property to reference the parent class.
    Pradeep, Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Please appreciate posts that have helped you by clicking icon on the left of the post.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." — Charles F. Kettering

Read articles on My Blog101 LINQ SamplesJSON ValidatorXML Schema Validator"How Do I" videos on MSDNVB.NET and C# ComparisonGood Coding PracticesVBForums Reputation SaverString EnumSuper Simple Tetris Game

(2010-2013)
    NB: I do not answer coding questions via PM. If you want my help, then make a post and PM me it's link. If I can help, trust me I will...

I run into the problem of needing to cast type Object to the type of it's parent to reference it's parent's properties, any ideas?
    Last edited by DemonMade; Apr 11th, 2009 at 09:29 PM.

If you know exactly how your paret/child relationship is going to be (which is most likely the case,) then just bind the class type of the parent:

Code:
    _Parent as TheParentsType

Public Sub New(byval parent as TheParentsType)
       _Parent = parent
    End Sub

It is most likely that the parent type would be different in each case. Otherwise the need would not have arosen.

So what you would need to do is either parse it (if there are very few types), or pass the type too along with it.
    The best way though would have been to make those classes inherit from the same Base Class so that you could just typecast it to the base class type.
    Please appreciate posts that have helped you by clicking icon on the left of the post.

Read articles on My Blog101 LINQ SamplesJSON ValidatorXML Schema Validator"How Do I" videos on MSDNVB.NET and C# ComparisonGood Coding PracticesVBForums Reputation SaverString EnumSuper Simple Tetris Game

(2010-2013)
    NB: I do not answer coding questions via PM. If you want my help, then make a post and PM me it's link. If I can help, trust me I will...

I will either inherit from a common base or put these properties into a separate class property and pass that by ref.

If I pass the parent class as a parameter to the management class' constructor ByRef, can I save that to a class level variable and still have it work ByRef so I can just set properties without having to somehow having a way to return them? The reason I ask is I don't want to have to pas the parent to the functions each time they are called.

parentClass.Management.Calculate()

rather than

parentClass.Management.Calculate(parentClass)

Quote Originally Posted by DemonMade View Post
    If I pass the parent class as a parameter to the management class' constructor ByRef, can I save that to a class level variable and still have it work ByRef so I can just set properties without having to somehow having a way to return them? The reason I ask is I don't want to have to pas the parent to the functions each time they are called.

parentClass.Management.Calculate()

rather than

parentClass.Management.Calculate(parentClass)
    Classes are always BYRef in effect, whether you pass it ByRef or ByVal.

(2010-2013)