Thread: ocx dependancies - vista

Fanatic Member

ocx dependancies - vista

I have just installed my application on a computer with Vista. I get an error saying Component ‘numberbox.ocx’ or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.
    The application has been working fine when installed on xp.
    How do I determine what the dependencies are of the ocx so that I can ensure they are installed with the application?

I found this re Cryst32.ocx. I wonder if it's a similar situation or maybe I'm just failing something in the installation.

The most common reason the Cryst32.ocx will not register is that it is missing one or more dependencies.
    To register the crystl32.ocx make sure the following dependencies are present on your machine, then the OCX will register.

crystl32.ocx Dependencies
    ADVAPI32.DLL
    COMCTL32.DLL
    COMDLG32.DLL
    CRPE32.DLL
    GDI32.DLL
    IMPLODE.DLL
    MFC42.DLL
    MSVCRT.DLL
    MSVCRT20.DLL
    OLE32.DLL
    OLEAUT32.DLL
    OLEDLG.DLL
    OLEPRO32.DLL
    USER32.DLL
    VERSION.DLL

Please note: while all of these files need to be present in order to successfully register the OCX, some files are system files and should not be distributed.
    Another item to check is that the version number of each dll on the client matches what is on your development machine (or at least matches what is on another client machine where the app does work).

I recommend using EXTREME CAUTION when moving dlls between a machine with one OS to another with a different one. Regardless of the machines' OS, if you choose to copy dlls, please make sure to back up the old ones in case something goes awry.

Please note that although the crystl32.ocx file can reside anywhere on your machine (as it is a registered file), its dependencies must reside in the system path.Finally, I would suggest downloading the Dependendency Walker utility from the following link to help troubleshoot your issue:
    http://community.seagatesoftware.com...es/depends.zip

You can point this utility to Crystl32.ocx on the client machine to determine which of its dependencies the OCX is having issues with.
    Working files show up in green or cyan, while non-working files show up in yellow, orange, or red.
    I am sure that you will find this utility extremely helpful.

To manually register the OCX after you have ensured that all the dependencies are present, you will need to select :
    Start | Run and type in something like this:
    regsvr32.exe "C:\Windows\System\crystl32.ocx"

Hope this helps.
    E. McEvoy
    Crystal Reports Consultant

PowerPoster

Re: ocx dependancies - vista

There should be a .DEP file that accompanies the .OCX file. This contains information for packaging utilities about version numbers, dependencies, and so on.

If they don't supply one, then shame on them!

The old version I have installed is Version=5.0.37.14 and it has a quite substantial .DEP file.

Fanatic Member

Re: ocx dependancies - vista

Sorry. My mistake.
    Trying to get my application to work on Vista but I hadn't registered the correct version of the ocx file.

All the dependencies of this particular .ocx must be standard windows .dll files.