Thread: [RESOLVED] Square Buttons

Resolved [RESOLVED] Square Buttons

I was wondering if it was possible to somehow use (or import if I have to) the square buttons that you sometimes see as the default System button on older Windows computers, and use it instead of the new Windows XP rounded kind with the white background.

I tried looking here to simply make the square button myself:
    http://www.codeproject.com/KB/buttons/CButton.aspx

But it makes 0 sense to me.

Also I don't want Flatstyle as it makes the button 2D and I want the old square but 3D buttons, like the OK and Display button in this picture.

http://www.java2s.com/Tutorial/VBIma...ttonAction.PNG
    If your problem is solved, click the Thread Tools button at the top and mark your topic as Resolved!

If someone helped you out, click the button on their post and leave them a comment to let them know they did a good job

Get the Text inbetween HTML Tags (or two words)

Addicted Member

Re: Square Buttons

Can you just disable xp visual styles?

I didn't think of that. That works and I may go with it, however, I don't want all of my buttons the be the square kind.

Is there a way to only disable the XP styles for certain buttons?
    If your problem is solved, click the Thread Tools button at the top and mark your topic as Resolved!

If someone helped you out, click the button on their post and leave them a comment to let them know they did a good job

Addicted Member

Not that I know of sorry, you could always try creating your own control.

Does anyone have anymore ideas? I would really like to be able to do it for specific controls only. I'm still searching for anything to do this. For now I'll just use the disable windows xp styles, Thanks Banjo.

You can always assign an image to a button, if you hide the BorderStyle and use a FlatStyle, the button will look like the image.

• If my post helped you, please Rate it
    • If your problem is solved please also mark the thread resolved

I use VS2015 (unless otherwise stated).
    _________________________________________________________________________________
    B.Sc(Hons), AUS.P, C.Eng, MIET, MIEEE, MBCS / MCSE+Sec, MCSA+Sec, MCP, A+, Net+, Sec+, MCIWD, CIWP, CIWA
    I wrote my very first program in 1979, using machine code on a mechanical Olivetti teletype connected to an 8-bit, 78 instruction, 1MHz, Motorola 6800 multi-user system with 2k of memory. Using Windows, I dont think my situation has improved.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
    You can always assign an image to a button, if you hide the BorderStyle and use a FlatStyle, the button will look like the image.
    I considered doing that but then I would have to also add an image for the mouse down event and focus event etc. I'm hoping theres a simpler way to do it.

Oh, and not to mention I would need different images for every different sized button =(

Well... maybe not. It depends how much work you want to do but you could keep the buttons as basic placeholders and draw the text, shadow etc. onto them with GDI. Then scaling or needing multiple images wouldnt be such an issue. Never tried this myself but I might try it just to se what the issues are.

• If my post helped you, please Rate it
    • If your problem is solved please also mark the thread resolved

I use VS2015 (unless otherwise stated).
    _________________________________________________________________________________
    B.Sc(Hons), AUS.P, C.Eng, MIET, MIEEE, MBCS / MCSE+Sec, MCSA+Sec, MCP, A+, Net+, Sec+, MCIWD, CIWP, CIWA
    I wrote my very first program in 1979, using machine code on a mechanical Olivetti teletype connected to an 8-bit, 78 instruction, 1MHz, Motorola 6800 multi-user system with 2k of memory. Using Windows, I dont think my situation has improved.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
    Well... maybe not. It depends how much work you want to do but you could keep the buttons as basic placeholders and draw the text, shadow etc. onto them with GDI. Then scaling or needing multiple images wouldnt be such an issue. Never tried this myself but I might try it just to se what the issues are.
    It sounds reasonable, but with the code I have on the mouse up and down events, it would get confusing trying to incorporate the change in images. Still possible though, so let me know if you test it out and find a good way to do it. I don't know how to draw text/shadow so I would never figure it out on my own.

If you want to disable visual styles on a single control, you can create your own control and then use code like this. It is for a Progressbar, but the same concept should work for a button:

Code:
    Public Class MyPB
        Inherits ProgressBar

Public Declare Unicode Function SetWindowTheme Lib "uxtheme.dll" (ByVal hWnd As IntPtr, ByVal pszSubAppName As String, ByVal pszSubIdList As String) As Integer
        Protected Overrides Sub OnHandleCreated(ByVal e As System.EventArgs)
            SetWindowTheme(Me.Handle, "", "")
            MyBase.OnHandleCreated(e)
        End Sub
    End Class

How would I apply that to a button. I'm new to classes so I don't understand how I can add that to a button. I don't have to literally create my own button class do I? The good news is that the buttons I want to be square are created during runtime, so if you can help me figure this out it may work.

Frenzied Member

For your needs Banjo's suggestion would work best.
    Just make your own control. Easier said than done. But you'll end up with exactly what you want.

Create a new class that inherits from a button. Then use that code that I posted. Once you compile, your new button will show up in your toolbox. Then you can add it just like any other control.

Frenzied Member

You can create a Class and inherit from Control.
    At that point, you'll already have most of the functionality that you want.
    Next, you'll handle the drawing of the control in the OnPaint method.

There's going to be many things to consider. Like changing the appearance of the Button for various conditions.