Thread: Error 339 - mswinsck.ocx not correctly registered

Frenzied Member

Error 339 - mswinsck.ocx not correctly registered

Hello, I use Inno setup to create an installer for my application. The application is used by more than 1000 people and I haven't received any messages about installation problems before, but now somebody says he gets the following error when using my app.

Code:
    Runtime error 339 - Component 'mswinsck.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.
    mswinsck.ocx is included in the installer and even the Package & Deployment Wizard doesn't show any extra dependencies. Should wsock32.dll be included in the installer as well? I don't know which OS is used, but I can ask.

This is the line in the script. Is something wrong with that line?

Code:
    Source: F:\Upload\Setup\VBFiles\mswinsck.ocx; DestDir: {sys}; Flags:  regserver restartreplace sharedfile uninsneveruninstall noregerror onlyifdoesntexist;

Super Moderator

Re: Error 339 - mswinsck.ocx not correctly registered

See what OS it is and let us know, simply looks like the winsock dll hasnt copied over. I suppose you should check they have permisions to install?

Pino

PowerPoster

The Winsock DLLs (there should actually be two on a modern system) are part of the OS. You don't deploy them.

The error message is quite explicit: you have not installed and registered the Winsock control (OCX) properly.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante
    The Winsock DLLs (there should actually be two on a modern system) are part of the OS. You don't deploy them.

The error message is quite explicit: you have not installed and registered the Winsock control (OCX) properly.
    Can you not package the DLL's with your installer??

Pino

PowerPoster

Those DLLs are not redistributable. If they are missing or corrupted you'd go through a recovery process.

How to determine and to recover from Winsock2 corruption in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, and in Windows Vista

But the eror message above indicates nothing quite so dire. Instead it simply points to a faulty install process for an application.

Frenzied Member

The user is using Windows XP.

I gave him the 'mswinsck.ocx' file and told him to put it in the system32 folder and manually register it with regsvr32 and now it works. But I still have no idea why it wouldn't install properly with the installation package. The installation package also contains 'mscomctl.ocx', 'richtx32.ocx' and 'msxml4.dll' and those files were installed correctly.

i am also distributing winsock with one of my project. no errors were reported yet.

this is how the innosetup script looks like

Code:
    ;Source: "D:\mysoftware\distribusion\MSWINSCK.OCX"; DestDir: "{sys}"; Flags: regserver restartreplace sharedfile;
    restartreplace is an important flag. have you put that?

Hyperactive Member

I am having a major issue with this too...

I tried distributing and NOT distributing... SOME of my users get the error but some don't. In conjunction I am using XML parser (happens to be ver 2.6) which required msxml2.dll Again,, some of my users have no issues whatsoever,, some however can't get the app to work no matter what we do.. I had them register,, unregister,, re-register,,,clean up registry,, install xml parser versions,, and the works,,, I even built fix.bat files to deal with entire winsock file selection,,, and STILL,, on some people'e machines this still happens... baffling!!!

Hyperactive Member

I am sure in the end it is going to be "ONE OF THOSE" errors that gt fixed with something superbly simple!

Hyperactive Member

This may be worth exploring for 339 mswinsock.ocx or one of it's dependencies missing or not correctly registered...

regsvr32 MSWINSCN.OCX

Iv'e been encountering the same problem make sure that your program is set to run in admin mode it fixed it for me

Hyperactive Member

I got it fixed doing 2 things. I had all my clients register the component as admins and I also had them install the latest version of MSXML parser... which in my case was necessary (not to say that in other cases it would be)