Thread: VB skills advancement

Hyperactive Member

VB skills advancement

I am in a club at school called BPA, which stands for Business Professionals of America. I am in the visual basic .NET division. I made it past division test and now I am going to state. I have no idea what to expect from the state competition, so I have been studying the test I was given at division. The test was pretty easy. The only trouble I had was with the usercontrol and connecting to a MS Access database. I was using VB 2003 (had to do this test at school) so I didn't know how to connect to a DB in 2003. I will be using VB 2008 at state (cause I am bringing my laptop). So I guess my main reason for posting this is that I am looking for some projects that I can build that while help increase my VB proficiency. I am getting tired of just rebuilding the project from division. I am mostly looking for projects that are business like because I think any test I will take for BPA will be related to business. Thank you for suggesting projects it is getting boring doing the same project over and over.

Re: VB skills advancement

What is your level of expertise in VB.Net? Do you want something really challenging?
    Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.
    - Abraham Lincoln -

Hyperactive Member

I am up for any kind of project. The more challenging the better because I am trying to push myself to the limit.
    Last edited by bagstoper; Feb 26th, 2009 at 05:25 PM.

From what you state, it sounds like there is actually a competition based around .NET. Is that true? How does it get scored? Is caffeine considered a performance-enhancing drug in that competition?

On a very slighly more serious note, are you specifically looking for ways to enhance your DB experience?

The one thing that comes most readily to mind is this very forum. There are loads of questions on here (that's what it's about) that cover all sorts of topics, and there are always people asking how to do something, such as the Roman Numeral converter item that should still be lingering on the first or second page.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Hyperactive Member

such as the Roman Numeral converter item that should still be lingering on the first or second page.
    Please, He's gonna be able to figure that out in about five seconds. That's so stupid that could be done with a couple of if then statements and it would work with every roman numeral number.

You want a challenge then try coming up with and writing a commerical application. It's one thing to code to a contest. But when you code something and expect someone to pay for it... Things change, it better be good.

Write a new video game, or a kick butt website, new search algorithm give google a run for thier money. What about a better instant messenger or maybe a good CAD program that does what autocad does but the user only needs to spend 10 minutes playing with it and they can do everything! Or come up with your own idea's. Find programs that you use that you can't live without but you think you can do better and then DO IT! Or just find programs that you think can be done better.

Work on one of the opensource projects to make them better.

If you wanna keep doing cheesy stuff try http://www.topcoder.com/ They have more contests you can enter.

Also I thought google had an open test and if you could figure it out you could get a job interview or something, but I can't find it. Anyone know where that is? I ran over it a long time ago I don't know if they still have it. Anyone remember it???? Anyone.... Buler...... Buler....... Buler.....

Hyperactive Member

From what you state, it sounds like there is actually a competition based around .NET. Is that true? How does it get scored? Is caffeine considered a performance-enhancing drug in that competition?

On a very slightly more serious note, are you specifically looking for ways to enhance your DB experience?

The one thing that comes most readily to mind is this very forum. There are loads of questions on here (that's what it's about) that cover all sorts of topics, and there are always people asking how to do something, such as the Roman Numeral converter item that should still be lingering on the first or second page.
    The tests are done in a closed room with judges in there. you have 90 minutes to finish what ever project is assigned. At least that is what would imagine state is going to be like. I am not just looking at increasing my DB skills i am looking for anything new that i haven't learned. Stuff i haven't learned is enums and classes (kinda know them just not well) i know how to make a custom property, again not all that well but i can.

Quote Originally Posted by jakkjakk
    Please, He's gonna be able to figure that out in about five seconds. That's so stupid that could be done with a couple of if then statements and it would work with every roman numeral number.

You want a challenge then try coming up with and writing a commercial application. It's one thing to code to a contest. But when you code something and expect someone to pay for it... Things change, it better be good.

Write a new video game, or a kick butt website, new search algorithm give Google a run for their money. What about a better instant messenger or maybe a good CAD program that does what autocad does but the user only needs to spend 10 minutes playing with it and they can do everything! Or come up with your own idea's. Find programs that you use that you can't live without but you think you can do better and then DO IT! Or just find programs that you think can be done better.

If you wanna keep doing cheesy stuff try http://www.topcoder.com/ They have more contests you can enter.

Also I thought google had an open test and if you could figure it out you could get a job interview or something, but I can't find it. Anyone know where that is? I ran over it a long time ago I don't know if they still have it. Anyone remember it???? Anyone.... Buler...... Buler....... Buler.....
    Well i am not doing this just as a contest to sue if i can do it. i am doing this because if i place at State then i get to go to nationals. I would like to place at nationals or at least go there because there are schools that offer free rides to people who place at nationals. You know what is kinda funny, earlier today i was thinking "hmm i wonder if i can make a website like Google." What open test are you talking about from google? i have never heard of them having any kind of tests. But i know a little about server management and system troubleshooting. (that is the other test i am taking for BPA "PC servicing and troubleshooting" going to state for that one too) About a year ago i tried making my own media player. i just used the windows media player control. it was kinda nice i got it all working and i tried to get a custom UI (by DLing some third party controls) It looked pretty spiffy until the trial ran out.

You want a challenge then try coming up with and writing a commerical application. It's one thing to code to a contest. But when you code something and expect someone to pay for it... Things change, it better be good.

Write a new video game, or a kick butt website, new search algorithm give google a run for thier money. What about a better instant messenger or maybe a good CAD program that does what autocad does but the user only needs to spend 10 minutes playing with it and they can do everything! Or come up with your own idea's. Find programs that you use that you can't live without but you think you can do better and then DO IT! Or just find programs that you think can be done better.

what is your deal? you are very opinionated and critical. some of the code that you have posted, like using Convert.ToInt32 on a TextBox indicates, IMHO, that you might want to be less critical.
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

Hyperactive Member

at first i didn't see who you had quoted and thought you were talking about me for a sec.

Funny that you should say that...
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Hyperactive Member

what is your deal? you are very opinionated and critical. some of the code that you have posted, like using Convert.ToInt32 on a TextBox indicates, IMHO, that you might want to be less critical.
    First off, When I post code, usually I'm not sitting on a machine that has Visual Studio on it, and I can't verify it works. Second. I don't usually code to have it actually work. It's more pseudo code than actual code. I'm just trying to say "this is what I would try" across.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything but for the roman numeral problem people are introducing lists and other data types that take up a lot more system resources than is required to solve the problem.

We all write inefficient code. Our first priority is to get the code to work. The second priority is to make it work well. I understand that and it makes sense. With large scale projects the second priority becomes difficult to do. Since time is money it's just easier to just go on to other money making code. But still, that makes the product suck.

What really annoys me when people do write inefficient code just becauase it's the easiest way to solve the problem. We as coders should always try and write the most efficient code we can at the time. It's because of this reason why a lot of commercial software require faster CPU's and more memory. But if they stopped and thought about it, and said "Is there a better way to do this?" You wouldn't need 16 gigs to install windows 7. It's also the reason why a lot of cool programs started out small and then became crap.

i am just trying to understand your point of view.

"First off, When I post code, usually I'm not sitting on a machine that has Visual Studio on it, and I can't verify it works. Second. I don't usually code to have it actually work. It's more pseudo code than actual code. I'm just trying to say "this is what I would try" across."

you should make that clear

"I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything but for the roman numeral problem people are introducing lists and other data types that take up a lot more system resources than is required to solve the problem."

really? you know this because you tested it, wrote your own, or just made an observation. sometimes what gets posted here is for education. And if you want to go looking for resource hog's look no further than most of the string fucntions.

"We all write inefficient code. Our first priority is to get the code to work. The second priority is to make it work well. I understand that and it makes sense. With large scale projects the second priority becomes difficult to do. Since time is money it's just easier to just go on to other money making code. But still, that makes the product suck.

What really annoys me when people do write inefficient code just becauase it's the easiest way to solve the problem. We as coders should always try and write the most efficient code we can at the time. It's because of this reason why a lot of commercial software require faster CPU's and more memory. But if they stopped and thought about it, and said "Is there a better way to do this?" You wouldn't need 16 gigs to install windows 7. It's also the reason why a lot of cool programs started out small and then became crap.
    "

there is an old adage that says something like 10% of the code takes up 90% of the resources.

i hope that when you post in the future that you can be less critical. if you have a better way, all you need to do is say "Try this" and post your code. you don't need to use words like stupid.
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

Hyperactive Member

really? you know this because you tested it, wrote your own, or just made an observation. sometimes what gets posted here is for education. And if you want to go looking for resource hog's look no further than most of the string fucntions.
    I know because just by knowing that an list is an array on steroids. Now an array of anything takes up more space than just one integer.

there is an old adage that says something like 10% of the code takes up 90% of the resources.

i hope that when you post in the future that you can be less critical. if you have a better way, all you need to do is say "Try this" and post your code. you don't need to use words like stupid.
    If you use the code you use then your and you use lists and things like that they are large and they take up more system resources than just strings and integers.

I'm sorry I offended you, I just don't like your idea and I think its inefficient.

I know because just by knowing that an list is an array on steroids. Now an array of anything takes up more space than just one integer.

If you use the code you use then your and you use lists and things like that they are large and they take up more system resources than just strings and integers.

I'm sorry I offended you, I just don't like your idea and I think its inefficient.
    Then you are probably programming in the wrong language - code efficiency is really built around such objects. Trying to squeeze out a 'few extra kilobytes by using an array of integers', or whatever is a futile attempt, and an expensive one.

Unless you understand the objects in question (an 'integer' is an object - do you know the overhead of boxing and unboxing an integer?) saying one piece of code is more 'efficient' than another is impossible.

Line count is irellevant, and I can assure you, programming with arrays 'because it's more efficient' is short-sighted, to say the least. We aren't working on 8086 processors with a few K of memory. This isn't an argument to make wild use of every available computer resource, but saying a list is inefficient compared to an array is ludicrous.

Do you understand the inner workings of a list object? Have you experience with using it? Has it proven (to oneself) to be inefficient? Can you demonstrate why this is the case? How did you test it? Is it repeatable? How would someone else get different or similar results? These are all very, very, difficult questions to answer but if you do make a statement, expect to be able to give demonstrable answers to these questions supporting your hypothesis. And when such statements are made, it is probably a good idea to provide working and tested code, rather than pseudo-code.

We've all been bitten - or will be: we produce a piece of code which we believe is a miracle in the making and posted it, only to have it rejected, shredded and fed to a flea-bitten emaciated dog, because that's the only thing that is desperate enough to try and digest it.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."