Thread: Xna Faq

Hybrid View

Hyperactive Member

Post Xna Faq

If you are not familiar with XNA here is a few FAQ's to get you started.

1.) What is XNA?
    XNA is a framework that is essentially a DirectX wrapper from microsoft that is focused on making games for the PC, XBOX360, and ZUNE.

2.) What languages are available with XNA?
    Initially both C# and Visual Basic .NET could run XNA. Then during a few of the version changes, only C# could run XNA. On the final release of XNA 4.0 Refresh, Visual Basic .NET can run XNA again.

3.) Where can I get XNA?
    XNA is available for download for free at XNA Creators Club

4.) Is there anything else I need to install XNA?
    You will need a graphics card that supports, at minimum, Shader Model 1.1 and DirectX 9.0c. You will also need C# installed, regardless of if you want to only run XNA in Visual Basic .NET.

5.) I have installed XNA but I dont see where to run it?
    You will need to open up Microsoft Visual Studios and create a new project in order to create a new game.

I will be adding more to this as I get time but that is the basics for now. If anyone has any additions to this please let me know(feel free to pm me) and I will gladly add them.
    Last edited by Steve R Jones; May 14th, 2021 at 09:02 AM.

Re: XNA FAQ - Sticky this please!

I know you want to create your own content but the FAQ on the XNA Creators Club is very comprehensive.

They also have an FAQ Forum with other great FAQs.

Not trying to belittle your first / start of an FAQ but perhaps it would be better to either link to them, copy them or just not include one at all (practically none of our forums here have a specific FAQ).

Perhaps add the links to your signature?
    KrisSiegel.com - My Personal Website with my blog and portfolio
    Don't Forget to Rate Posts!

Free Icons: FamFamFam, VBCorner, VBAccelerator
    Useful Links: System.Security.SecureString Managed DPAPI Overview Part 1 Managed DPAPI Overview Part 2 MSDN, MSDN2, Comparing the Timer Classes

Addicted Member

Re: Xna Faq

Hi, i would like to find out is it possible to code a game using Vb for xbox.

You can code in XNA with VB.Net, however, you currently can't get it to compile and go onto the XBox 360. Perhaps they will support that in the future but, for now, there is no way to do so.
    KrisSiegel.com - My Personal Website with my blog and portfolio
    Don't Forget to Rate Posts!

Free Icons: FamFamFam, VBCorner, VBAccelerator
    Useful Links: System.Security.SecureString Managed DPAPI Overview Part 1 Managed DPAPI Overview Part 2 MSDN, MSDN2, Comparing the Timer Classes

If you're decently familiar with VB.NET, then moving to C# isn't that big a deal. Besides the uglier IDE changes (like erroring the line that you're currently typing before moving off it), the only real obstacle you need to overcome is re-figuring out how event handling works. It's a lot more "manual" in C#
    My CodeBank Submissions: TETRIS using VB.NET2010 and XNA4.0, Strong Encryption Class, Hardware ID Information Class, Generic .NET Data Provider Class, Lambda Function Example, Lat/Long to UTM Conversion Class, Audio Class using BASS.DLL

Remember to RATE the people who helped you and mark your forum RESOLVED when you're done!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. "
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Jenner View Post
    If you're decently familiar with VB.NET, then moving to C# isn't that big a deal. Besides the uglier IDE changes (like erroring the line that you're currently typing before moving off it), the only real obstacle you need to overcome is re-figuring out how event handling works. It's a lot more "manual" in C#
    I agree totally. Some namespaces are a little different, but i've recently made the switch to c# and the only real thing is learning the syntax of everything. a few functions don't exist but there's always an equivalent. Despite a few issues, all in all, it's been painless, and that's learning xna simultaneously.
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell

You have heard all the buzz, you might have even seen some cool games that people said were written with XNA, but you're still not sure what exactly XNA is and what you can do with it. "XNA" the term is a brand, it refers to all the Microsoft Technologies that have to do with developing games. This includes both DirectX and the XNA framework. Most of the buzz lately is due to the XNA framework and chances are that is why you are here.

The XNA framework is an API. What that means is that it is a framework developed by Microsoft to help you make games faster. It's not a drag and drop game maker and you will need to learn how to program before you can use it. It is easy to use, but you will have to be somewhat technical to develop games with it.

XNA can only work in Windows??

Xna died a long time ago. And DirectX continues on as they are going to release DX12. I really didn't see the point of MS having 2 different graphics libraries anyways when they both do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by milo299 View Post
    XNA can only work in Windows??
    You're able to port XNA to iOS and android using 3rd party tools, but primarily it is used on Windows OS such as Win7 and Windows Phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Roman View Post
    Xna died a long time ago. And DirectX continues on as they are going to release DX12. I really didn't see the point of MS having 2 different graphics libraries anyways when they both do the same thing.
    I don't understand how this relates to the FAQ portion of the thread.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Roman View Post
    xna isn't a graphics library. If anything, it's a directx wrapper. Think of it as a subset of directx. It has less functionality but is a lot easier to jump into. I coverted a dx7 game to xna and it not only was easier to understand code, it was simpler to set up. Just making a game loop in dx is a pain.

as a side note, the FAQ at the top of this thread is out of date. XNA is no longer being developed but it is now compatible with vb.net.
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Orwell View Post
    as a side note, the FAQ at the top of this thread is out of date. XNA is no longer being developed but it is now compatible with vb.net.
    Good point. I've updated the FAQ.

I taught myself just enough XNA and game programming to be dangerous but I'm curious, is there any managed wrapper or system in the works for the future? Granted, DX12 really isn't meant for managed code, in most respects, it gets away from it and back to bare-metal in the name of performance.
    My CodeBank Submissions: TETRIS using VB.NET2010 and XNA4.0, Strong Encryption Class, Hardware ID Information Class, Generic .NET Data Provider Class, Lambda Function Example, Lat/Long to UTM Conversion Class, Audio Class using BASS.DLL

Remember to RATE the people who helped you and mark your forum RESOLVED when you're done!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. "
    - Albert Einstein

Right now your only option going forward is to use DirectX or OpenGL in C++

Microsoft pulled the plug on XNA and in my opinion I do not think that they're going to replace it with anything and stick with DirectX. I do think that they will bring DirectX to C# and Visual Basic .NET, but I'm not sure when.

XNA stands for "XNA's Not Acronymed"

If you're looking for a supported, compatible, still actively developed for alternative to XNA, that is also open-source and cross-platform, MonoGame is a drop-in replacement. It keeps the exact same namespaces (Microsoft.Xna). I've been tinkering with it and plan to port some of my graphics examples to it in the future.

Releases for MonoGame are easily found here: http://www.monogame.net/downloads/

More interestingly, I found someone had made some Visual Basic .NET templates for MonoGame. They posted an installer as well as the loose template files if you don't like executables. His post and links for these are here:
    http://community.monogame.net/t/mono...ic/6908?page=3

- Albert Einstein

Hi buddy! Awesome sharing with full of information I was searching for. Your complete guidance gave me a wonderful end up. Great going.