Thread: Can't reference DirectX without freezing Visual Basic Express 2010, DX SDK installed

Can't reference DirectX without freezing Visual Basic Express 2010, DX SDK installed

I installed the DirectX SDK, dated June 2010, but when I start a new project and reference DirectX.dll, I can already notice My PC slowly getting louder and louder, and this is before I run the code I found here:

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...=1#post4368491

Referencing also DirectX3d and DirectInput, and running the rest of the code, VB.NET freezes up with no form showing. I get this when I click anywhere within VB at runtime:

Name:  delay_notification.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  96.5 KB

Switch to does nothing, and Cancel Operation is grayed-out, so the only way I can shut it down is with the Task Manager.

Does DirectX work with Vb.NET Express 2010? Did I reference the wrong DLLs?

I referenced the required DLLs from this folder:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\DirectX for Managed Code\1.0.2902.0

My Windows 7 PC uses NET framework 4.0
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Nov 2nd, 2019 at 06:00 AM.

Sinecure devotee

Re: Can't reference DirectX without freezing Visual Basic Express 2010, DX SDK instal

Are you targeting x86 (32-bit), not "Any Cpu" or X64?

Also, in addition to x86, have you tried building for the 3.5 framework, instead of 4.0. It seems like others using VS2010 Express had it work with those options.
    "Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment" Robert Benchley, 1930

Re: Can't reference DirectX without freezing Visual Basic Express 2010, DX SDK instal

It works now with all the changes you mentioned, Passel.

Thanks for your help!

You are still using Visual Studio Express 2010 in 2019? You might as well get 2019 edition. Its free. All the bugs been sorted out too and you get a badass UI

But even then, VB 2010 and even VB 2019 has VB still stuck in the dark ages of DirectX, as its only capped at DirectX9.0c. We now have DirectX12, Vulkan, and even OpenGL 4.6 now, all with raytracing support. I mean you can still fiddle with the old DX to get a feel for it, but now and days you gotta learn them damn shaders too. On top of that, the D3DX library is now deprecated, old, and obsolete. So now its all about doing without it:

https://walbourn.github.io/living-without-d3dx/

The new way is now embedding the DirectX Tool Kit or in short DirectXTK, even with DX11 and DX12. But even then, its for C++. Was never really meant for the VB environment.

I was just playing around with DirectX. Nothing serious.

I thought about upgrading to 2019 and others, but my machine is too old.

Hearing how 2019 runs slow on older systems, I'll stick with 2010 until I get a new pc.