Thread: [2008] GridView Selected Value

Hyperactive Member

[2008] GridView Selected Value

How can I determine exactly which cell someone clicked in a GridView? I have 2 columns in my GridView that I need to fire an event. Anyone have a sample of how this could work?

Smile Re: [2008] GridView Selected Value

Hi,

I can give you some sample code here. Open a default web site in VS 2005 and copy the code given below for Default.aspx and Default.aspx.cs

Code for Default.aspx

Code:
    <%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true"  CodeFile="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="_Default" %>

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" >
    <head runat="server">
        <title>Untitled Page</title>
    </head>
    <body>
        <form id="form1" runat="server">
        <div>
        <asp:TextBox ID="mytextbox" runat="server" style="z-index: 100; left: 141px; position: absolute; top: 18px" Width="647px"></asp:TextBox>
        <asp:DataGrid ID="newgrid" runat="server" AutoGenerateColumns="False" style="z-index: 102; left: 212px; position: absolute; top: 100px" Width="504px">
            <Columns>
                <asp:TemplateColumn>
                    <ItemTemplate>
                        <asp:CheckBox AutoPostBack="true" EnableViewState="true" OnCheckedChanged="CheckBox1_Click" ID="CheckBox1" runat="server" Text='<%# DataBinder.Eval(Container, "DataItem.Col1") %>' />
                    </ItemTemplate>
                </asp:TemplateColumn>
                <asp:TemplateColumn>
                    <ItemTemplate>
                        <asp:CheckBox AutoPostBack="true" EnableViewState="true" OnCheckedChanged="CheckBox2_Click" ID="CheckBox2" runat="server" Text='<%# DataBinder.Eval(Container, "DataItem.Col2") %>' />
                    </ItemTemplate>
                </asp:TemplateColumn>

</Columns>
        </asp:DataGrid>
        </div>
        </form>
    </body>
    </html>
    Code for Default.aspx.cs

Code:
    using System;
    using System.Data;
    using System.Configuration;
    using System.Web;
    using System.Web.Security;
    using System.Web.UI;
    using System.Web.UI.WebControls;
    using System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts;
    using System.Web.UI.HtmlControls;

public partial class _Default : System.Web.UI.Page 
    {
        protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            if (!Page.IsPostBack)
            {
                mytextbox.Text = "You have not clicked on any of the check boxes.";
                DataSet ds = new DataSet();
                DataTable dt = new DataTable("MyTable");
                dt.Columns.Add("Col1", System.Type.GetType("System.String"));
                dt.Columns.Add("Col2", System.Type.GetType("System.String"));
                DataRow dr = dt.NewRow();
                dt.Rows.Add(dr);
                dt.Rows[0]["Col1"] = "Click on me. I am Check Box number 1";
                dt.Rows[0]["Col2"] = "Click on me. I am Check Box number 2";
                ds.Tables.Add(dt);
                newgrid.DataSource = ds;
                newgrid.DataBind();
            }
        }
        protected void CheckBox1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            mytextbox.Text = "You clicked on check box number 1";
        }
        protected void CheckBox2_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            mytextbox.Text = "You clicked on check box number 2";
        }

}
    The application simply creates a Data set containing a data table with 2 columns Col1 and Col2. There is a data grid which has 2 check boxes bound to the 2 columns of the data table that is created. The text for the two check boxes are the strings in the two columns. There is also a text box. If you run the page then initially this text box says

"You have not clicked on any of the check boxes."

And a data grid appears with 2 check boxes. Click on any one of the check boxes and the page will post back and the text box will tell you on which check box you clicked. Mind you, it does not tell you whether the check box was checked or unchecked. It just tells you on which check box you clicked most recently.

This sample is just to demonstrate just how you can get controls inside a data grid or a grid view to fire events immediately and also how you can trap those events.

I am not clear about exactly what you require. I am just giving this sample thinking it maybe what you need.

Warm Regards ,
    sr_jay

Quote Originally Posted by ooOOJaVaOOoo
    How can I determine exactly which cell someone clicked in a GridView? I have 2 columns in my GridView that I need to fire an event. Anyone have a sample of how this could work?

Re: [2008] GridView Selected Value

Quote Originally Posted by ooOOJaVaOOoo
    LinkButtons are the ideal control to use in GridViews, in my opinion, as they offer the greatest flexibility. There are two situations possible from your example, and I think I know which one you're getting at. GridViews do have the ability to "select" rows, but I don't think that's what you're going for so much as enabling custom functionality. For this, create a LinkButton control, give it the ID and runat="server", then specify CommandName and CommandArgument. In the GridView's RowCommand event, check e.CommandName to see which link button was pressed (so naturally, the two link buttons will have different CommandNames), and e.CommandArgument to get the data stored there to use. I typically use that data item's ID in the database as the CommandArgument, as I can throw that at a stored procedure with no thought.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! mendhak's Avatar

Re: [2008] GridView Selected Value

I'd go with CommandName and CommandArgument too. It lets you keep all your logic on one method.