Thread: How to connect to my web image folder

How to connect to my web image folder

Obviously I'm a newbie not even sure if you will understand my question.

Not even sure if I should be using WPF or if i should be using standard Windows forms. But this is what I want to do. I want to be able create a client VB application that resides on the client computer and when he or she clicks on a list box item the image file will appear. The Image folder however resides with my web host.

Thanks for your guidance

Re: How to connect to my web image folder

Hello,

From what you hav described, you should be able to do this in either a Windows Form application, or a WPF Application. The two application types are very different however, and you should really make a decision now about which one you want to proceed with.

I have to ask though, why the requirement to store the images on your web host? Why not deploy them with your application? The reason that I ask is that, what happens to one of your users when they don't have an internet connection?

In order to get the files onto your machine, you would need to make an HttpWebRequest to your web host, download the file, and then associate the image with you ListBox.

Gary

Thanks for your reply

First, all my users do have internet connection, that's not a problem.
    Second, I need to constantly update my images and I don't want to keep sending them updates with a disc. I'm also using MYSQL for other purposes but I read that I should avoid using a database in that manner since its inefficient.

When you say download are you saying that I cannot simply reference the image as you would in a web application and have it simply appear in my desktop application, because that essentially what I really want to happen, otherwise forget the whole thing.

Also what would be the best choice for simplicity WPF or Windows forms. I worked with Forms in VB 6 but I don't know what I'm getting myself into if I use WPF.

In any case none of this will matter If I cant use my desktop application to work seamlessly like a web application when my user clicks on a list box item and the image appears.

Are there other ways to accomplish this?

Thanks again

Hello,

In Windows Form I don't think that there is an "easy" way to do what you ask. The image would need to be local on the machine for it to work. In WPF, there "might" be a way to do it, but I am not 100% sure.

In terms of which one is more simple, I can't answer that. That really have to do with your previous experience, etc.

Gary