dcsimg

Thread: Crystal Reports 8.5 and VB.Net

Crystal Reports 8.5 and VB.Net

Hi,

I'm working on a project in VB.Net 3.5 / Visual Studio 2008 and Sql Server 2005.

A consultant has made about 200 reports in Crystal Reports 8.5 for us some years ago. I can't find any info on how to make these available to the VB.Net project (they were made for VB 6).

What would be the best approach? Is there a simple batch upgrade command or something? We will most likely purchase the newest version of Crystal Reports, but I need to figure out if a conversion is necessary, and if so, if the conversion would be a big project or if it's more or less an automatic thing.

Thanks in advance!

Pettrer

Frenzied Member

Re: Crystal Reports 8.5 and VB.Net

1.- I have CR 10 and CR 12 (CR 2008) and I can open with them rpt files created with CR 8.5. So You could buy a new CR version and upgrade every rpt file

2.- I'm (almost) sure that You can reference the CR 8.5 libraries in Your VB.net project and work with the CR 8.5 rpt files

Re: Crystal Reports 8.5 and VB.Net

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I have now returneed to this task after some moths. We don't have rpt files but DSR and DSX files. From what I've read elsewhere, I won't be able to use those files directly in a VB.Net 3.5 environment.

Therefore, I guess referencing the old libraries would be the best approach, but I have no idea on how to do that in general and I don't know really what to search for on the net.

In my Visual Studio project, I found the folder called References.
    I also located the program folder called Seagate Software (Crystal Reports was owned by Seagate software at the time). In the subfolder Crystal Reports, I see several .dll files: c2supprt, crwdmr, and ImpWDF. When I try to import them via Browse... I get an error message saying "Please make sure that the file is accessible, and that it is a valid assembly or COM component." There is another bunch of .dll files in the Report Designer subfolder, but I don't think they are needed.

In my VB6 project (which I am recoding in VB.Net) I have the following code:

Code:
            Dim Report As CRHistorikLista
            Dim rstHistorikLista As ADODB.Recordset

Report = New CRHistorikLista

rstHistorikLista = LagradProcHamtaRecordset("XHistorikLista", theID)

If rstHistorikLista.EOF Then
                MsgBox("Nothing to print")
                Exit Sub
            End If

'''''
            'LOGO Report
            '''''

Report.Database.SetDataSource(rstHistorikLista)

frmPreview.CRViewer1.ReportSource = Report
            frmPreview.CRViewer1.EnableExportButton = True
            frmPreview.CRViewer1.DisplayGroupTree = False
            frmPreview.CRViewer1.ViewReport()
            ShowModalUnload(frmPreview)

rstHistorikLista = Nothing
    This particular piece of code uses the file CRHistorikLista.DSX (or .DSR) and sets a list of data (via an external sub) as its datasource. Then a preview window is opened. I know I'll have to rewrite the preview window code.

All hints are welcome!

Thanks again,

Pettrer

Quote Originally Posted by jggtz View Post
    1.- I have CR 10 and CR 12 (CR 2008) and I can open with them rpt files created with CR 8.5. So You could buy a new CR version and upgrade every rpt file

2.- I'm (almost) sure that You can reference the CR 8.5 libraries in Your VB.net project and work with the CR 8.5 rpt files
    Last edited by pettrer; Oct 1st, 2009 at 07:52 AM.