dcsimg

Thread: Run-time error 3075 - Syntax error in string in query expression VB6/MS-access

Run-time error 3075 - Syntax error in string in query expression VB6/MS-access

Hi,
    I have an access db that I am trying to query from a vb6 program. I've the following code:
    Dim sSQLQuery As String
    sSQLQuery = "SELECT * FROM TblData WHERE ID = " & Chr(39) & ID & Chr(39)

ID here is equal to 1234567890

MsgBox sSQLQuery
    the msgbox says: SELECT * FROM TblData WHERE ID = '1234567890 Note that the quotation is missing at the end

Set rs = db.OpenRecordset(sSQLQuery, dbOpenDynaset)
    Here I get the error:
    Run-time error '3075'
    Syntax error in string in query expression 'ID='1234567890'.

Note that now there's a single quotes before ID (+ where's the rest of the sql string).

As a note, ID is not a numeric field in the access database. Its in as a text-field. Now here's the biggie: this code works for me in my development PC and the query returns with the data in the db. This started happening on another laptop that I installed this application on all of a sudden and I am unable to reproduce this on my PC.

Any help is appreciated.

PowerPoster

Re: Run-time error 3075 - Syntax error in string in query expression VB6/MS-access

Try this,
    Code:
    "SELECT * FROM TblData WHERE ID = '" & ID & "'"
    Use the ' instead, on both sides of ID

Re: Run-time error 3075 - Syntax error in string in query expression VB6/MS-access

Thanks for your response.

Chr(39) adds the quotation (') on both sides of the ID.

Welcome to VBForums

I just checked, and it seems that Chr(39) is equivalent to ' , so that is not the issue.

Note that the quotation is missing at the end
    That seems to be the cause of the issue, but it does seem odd.

Where is the ID value coming from, and could it possibly contain a Chr(0) at the end? (if so, you won't see it in the Watch window etc, and it will terminate the string)
    (+ where's the rest of the sql string).
    As SQL statements tend to get quite large, the error messages try to show only the relevant part.

You hit the nail on the head. It turned out that the ID that was returned from the source was null terminated and hence the quotation char could not be added at the end.

Thanks a lot.