Thread: "license information for this component not found"

Addicted Member

"license information for this component not found"

full error: "license information for this component not found. you do not have an appropriate lisence to use this functionality in the design environment"

I recieved this error when I tried to use a control which i previously downloaded and registered. I found a thread which recommended I use a program off the VB disk (http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=49499). Trouble is I haven't got the disc, and cant get hold of it.

any ideas anyone?

"There'll be penguins on the moon"

Re: "license information for this component not found"

Just having the control and registering it isn't enough. You have to have a proper license to use it. Generaly this means you need to purchase the license from the owning developer/company.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

Exactly. Lots of controls can be deployed with a compiled program but require a developer license to use them at design time. Even then compiled programs generally have to embed the necessary runtime license, so such controls can't be used from script, etc.

Addicted Member

The following controls are causing the problem: SSRibbon, SSOption, SSPanel, SScommand, SSFrame, SSCheck, SpinButton, Grid and AniPushButton. These are all from the ocx's: GRID32.OCX, THREED32.OCX, ANTIBTN32.OCX and SPIN32.OCX. see my other post for further background details which you might need to know.

I did some further research and a few places told me that the error means I need to have permission by the original company to use these. But these are shipped with VB 6.0, so why? Will this problem go away after I've solved the problem in my other post?

PowerPoster

Those are old 3rd party controls included in VB6 as an optional add-on, meant for use in recompiling VB4/5 programs. If you want these they are on the VS6.0 CDs in a separate folder. They require manual installation, including the developer licenses (a .REG file I think).

Addicted Member

ah thanks dilettante. i'll have a look for my CD and give it a go.

cheers

PowerPoster

Addicted Member

thanks again dilettante. this now posses the question: why do i only have one vb disk when there's meant to be at least three? lol I'll guess I'll find out when I get home and dig out my CD.

Quote Originally Posted by paralyzedcitizen
    thanks again dilettante. this now posses the question: why do i only have one vb disk when there's meant to be at least three? lol I'll guess I'll find out when I get home and dig out my CD.
    Hello again paralyzedcitizen.

I must have missed this topic back in July 08.

If depends which version of VB6 you have. VB6 Pro is a single CD with 2 MSDN Library help disks. VB6 Enterprise is 2 disks with the 2 MSDN Library disks. Well it is with both of my versions.

I wouldn't say you need any special license for Threed32.ocx. As I said before it came with VB5 and was installed as standard. Where as its on the VB6 CD in the folder that I showed you but there is a seperate reg file to register them.
    Keith

I've been programming with VB for 25 years. Started with VB4 16bit Pro, VB5 Pro, VB6 Pro/Enterprise and now VB3 Pro. But I'm no expert, I'm still learning.

Addicted Member

Excellent, all good then. Except I cant find my disk. I have feeling i lent it to someone Does anyone know of any internet resources where I could get these?