Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: How many teenaged programmers?

Hi,

I was wondering how many teenaged programmers are out there and if any of you are currently making any money programming right now.

Also, what languages/technologies do you know and how did you get started?

Thanks.......

Why do you want to know all of that? I'm still in my teens and working for a large company right now.

Hyperactive Member

Yeah, I'm 14. I started with batch or shell programming for Windows, OS/2 and then UNIX. I later moved onto HTML (not really programming), followed by JavaScript. I then learned PERL (now my best language) and that was cool altough not OOP. From there, I learned QBasic, and then finally Visual Basic. I am currently in the process of learning C and Java.

I am making a little money of some software that I sell to my friends, and to my Uncle's business, but that's about it.

------------------
    Tom Young, 14 Year Old
    tyoung@stny.rr.com
    AIM: TomY10
    PERL, JavaScript and VB Programmer

Frenzied Member

I'm 14. I started off with a class, before that I didn't even know what VB was. Then I got here and learned a whole lot more. I took a camp this past summer and learned truebasic and HTML. I'm not making money, just selling things for as much as the disk is worth.

Steve

PowerPoster

I'm 18 (19 in a month or so, So I want presents off all of you! ). I started learning VBA (as part of MS Access) and HTML at the same time. I'm pretty good at both (althrough there are areas I suck at). At the moment I'm writing a huge VB app (the EXE stands at 5MB and i ain't finished yet!!) that is hopefully going to be sold across the country by a nationwide wholesaler that just happens to have my dad as the chairman.

I guess you just have to have the ability and know the right people. I was lucky in that my dad's company is well-known (amongst the industry).

I like money . Good luck to all of you!!

- Chris

PowerPoster

Question - how come some people are Members, and some are Junior Members? Doesn't bother me, just wondering. I don't remember seeing anything about status when i signed up.

- Chris

Hyperactive Member

You are a Junior Member if you have posted (new or reply) less than 30 times. Otherwise, you are a Member.

------------------
    Tom Young, 14 Year Old
    tyoung@stny.rr.com
    AIM: TomY10
    PERL, JavaScript and VB Programmer

PowerPoster

I guess that means 30 meaningfull posts

Hey, I'm 13.63<g>, been programming since I was 7 in the old TRS-80 days. Started with BASIC, then QBasic, then HTML/JScript/DHTML, VB, then on to C++. VB is my favorite language, by far.

Also, I sell plugins that control another chat client, and make quite a lot of money off of those.

------------------
    (¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·->ShadowCrawler<-·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)
    Teenage Programmer
    Visual Basic, HTML, C++, JavaScript

http://welcome.to/X12Tech
    Email: craigkovatch@compuserve.com
    ICQ#: 9872708

Addicted Member

Hello,

My S/n's are Evan and this ( one day it said "Evan" Did not exist so I made Dayo312)

Im 17, lol, I know VB , c, c/c++, and a little html (it you can call that programing) .. and Im a janitor. (PROGRAMING PAYS OFF>> YEAH!!!!lol)

Hi, =)
    I'm 16 and started off on my Comadore 64 programming BASIC. A couple years later I learned HTML and then VB. I'm currently trying to learn VC++. I've never made any money though.

------------------
    -FirePoweR-
    teknidude@geocities.com

Hyperactive Member

I'm 17, 18 on March 9.

I started in QBasic, then went to VB. I also write calculator programs that would get me in big trouble if my math and science teachers caught me.

Unfortunately, I don't make any money at all and I know only two other people who understand computers.

Hello,

Ive been programing for a year 1/2. 16 years old right now. I know HTML(easy to write ; ) ) and some what in VB.

I really want to learn PERL so I can write CGI program's from web pages. I have no clue where to start, when I look at the code, my brain starts to burn.

Where is a good place to start learning about PERL/C++ for CGI?

Im really impressed with Compwiz learning alot of computer languages at age 14. : )
    good job!

See yeah,

Hullo..
    I'm 16. Been programming since 7, with the Apple 2. (I can't even remember what language was that, BASIC?) Then using QuickBASIC, and now Visual Basic. (Since the VB for DOS era.)

Nope... I haven't made any money. I really hope to, though.

---------------------
    Andrew Tan Jen Shiong

Hyperactive Member

I'm 24..but still feel like a teenager :-)
    Hmmmmmm does that count too? :-)
    Yes I make money with programming :-)

I'm 19, started about 2.5 years ago with vb.
    (didn't know anything back them, except how to make little 'programs' in gwbasic).

Learned it from books and the web.

Ooh and i get paid by a company for playing with vb (writing programs ;-))

------------------

Vincent van den Braken
    EMail: azzmodan@azzmodan.demon.nl
    Homepage: http://www.azzmodan.demon.nl

[This message has been edited by Azzmodan (edited 11-23-1999).]

I guess that makes me a Grand Pa. I'm 27......and programming is my bread and butter.

------------------

Serge

Software Developer
    Serge_Dymkov@vertexinc.com
    Access8484@aol.com
    ICQ#: 51055819

I'm not that far off, I'm 22, been programming since the age of 8 on my trusty Commodore 16, know enough languages to confuse myself on occasions..

.. Programming is my Passion.

Oh and I get paid for it too.

------------------
    Aaron Young
    Analyst Programmer
    aarony@redwingsoftware.com
    adyoung@win.bright.net

I'm 16, and I've been programming for about two years... maybe (don't remember quite)
    I've just begun to make "useful" programs. Basicly puttin several of my minor projects togather conbined with new knowlage. Recently I got conected with some other guys who programs, and soon we'll sell some of the programs.
    By the way... If you got a site about VB or you got a site for your apps; goto my site and submit the URL.
    http://home.sol.no/~osmert/DigitalWare/

Hey everyone! It's nice that we share our stories....

I'm 21, been programming for 1.5 years(mainly VB, i'm still a programming newbie compared to you guys)

I've written a couple apps for local small businesses ($700-800 a piece) and I program in VB6/SQL Srvr at work (half of my time, the rest doing tech support). I'm still going for my BS in CIS, so this stuff is helpful in padding my resume till I can get my degree and make some serious money

Addicted Member

Hello!

It's really good idea to ask who is who. I look we have many young programmers as me and more young and I think the 2000 problem is not terrible for us.

I'm 23 and I worked in Russia as VB and KGL GURU programmer for 3 years and I used from VB3 to VB6. Now about 3 months I am working as Java & HTML & SQL programmer in internet marketing technology company in Germany. Also I have some experience in other languages.

Best regards.

------------------
    smalig
    smalig@hotmail.com
    smalig.tripod.com

Hey there,
    I'm 14 started programming in QBasic at about 11. I am currently working for my old elementary school. I trobleshoot, and do some misc. other things (being underestimated, as usual).

Begin Brag Sequence

I also created a student team at my current Junior High (7th and 8th). It is called ECT2 (Elite computer and Technology Team). We do everything related to technology for the school, from ordering stuff to running the server. And of course the Principal appointed me leader But, dispite the amount of work we (I) do we get no pay . But we get special privileges

End Brag

As for getting started I don't know how I found out about programming, It just kinda showed up, and I tought myself from there on out I currently know VB, HTML, JavaScript, and am trying desperatly to learn C/C++ (any help would be appreciated).

I'm extremely familar with all technologies (even the weird ones like anti-gravity). Sheesh I could go on forever. (I need to shrink my ego)

Looks like with the teen programmers here we could start our own Microspht type company! Best of luck to all!!

------------------
    Teen Programmer
    Techie 8)

Im 17, started on my Commodore 64 way back in the day, (when i was about 7), flipped when i saw QBasic on my first computer, and started writing batch files, cheesy screensavers, QBasic piece of crap games.

Now im using Bitblt, backbuffers, API, learning C++, *very* interested in 3D graphics engines. Im very fluent in string parsing, winsock programming etc.

Ive made money off programs for my dad (grin) and his coworkers, but nothing very significant.

------------------
    -Mystiq

My signature tells my age.

I've been programming for about a year; year and a half at most.

I love VB and I've taught myself with books, this great site, and ambition.

I can't belief at some of the ages I've seen posted.

Makes me feel dumb because as old as I am, it seems that I don't know nearly 1/4 the stuff that most of you know.

I don't have much time to learn once I leave the office, but hopefully that will change.

I guess I get paid for programming. I learn on company time and make inhouse apps for us.

Thanks all the help I've received and keep up the fine work and help.

JazzBass

------------------
    21 yr old beginner VB Programmer
    VB 6 Professional @ Home
    VB 3 Professional @ the Office

I was a teenager once! does that count?

I dabbled in basic on a zx81 and a spectrum when I was younger.

I returned to full time education in 1995 (I was in a dead-end manual job and totally P****d off!)and did a foundation course followed by a BSC in Computer hardware and Software engineering with a stong Software bias.

At university I programmed in Shell scripts, DOS Batch files, Modula 2, C (unix and Borland), C++ on Unix, Ghostscript, Assembly for 68000, assembly for Intel 80486 procesors, Miranda, B, TclTK on X windows.

I did my final year project in self-taught VB3 (instead of Authourware as suggested by my progect supervisor) because I knew it would be more use in the real world.

I now work for Softlab UK programming mainly in vb5 and VB6
    but playing with ASP, HTML and DHTML

Am I making any money?

Well in a word Yes! but having had to support house wife an 2 children while at university I accumulated horrendous debts and will probably just about clear them by the time I retire!

ps I'm 31 by the way!

------------------
    Mark Sreeves
    Analyst Programmer

Mark.Sreeves@Softlab.co.uk
    A BMW Group Company

Uuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhmmmmmmmm where is the limit for beeing a teenager

I started with VB, programming of any kind, a year ago and finaly I got to that point where someone is williing to pay for my knowledge(?).

It seem's like I'm the only true VB-teenager here, loking at experiens in programming at all.
    And I don't have a clue about what the abbreviations Mark Sreeves has studied means

And I bought my first computer way back in 1997(like september or something). I think that is a record noone will be able to beat

And finaly, my age is humbly 27

------------------
    On Error Goto Bed :0)
    anders@zsystemdesign.se

[This message has been edited by onerrorgoto (edited 11-24-1999).]

[This message has been edited by onerrorgoto (edited 11-24-1999).]

Addicted Member

Sorry no teenager here but...

I'm 27 been working in programming for 11 years in a company that I've created with my dad - for the money .
    Since then, and because in my country (Portugal - Europe) we aren't that many programmers with 10 + years experience, I've earned money with it (not that much).
    Ususally my company makes solutions that everyone else declines (hard stuff or very specific ones).

------------------
    Jorge Ledo
    j_ledo@hotmail.com
    Portugal

Hey- 15 here (i seem to be one of the younger ones of the group =) ) i started w/ qbasic and html(if you call that programming) and moved on to vb and perl...now im getting pretty good at vb and perl, as well as all the cool advanced html stuff like dhtml and css.. and starting to teach myself vc++(hard but very cool).

At my high school we have a few networks of p2 400's on a T1 line, but none of the teachers have any idea how to use/teach with them so i do tech suppt and teach the teachers(hehe) computer basics...its a shame they waste so much money on nice comps and they just sit idle all day...

Thnx For Your Time,
    CarlosTheJackal

I'm 13 and been programming since 8, and there are many jobs I can work in (requirements: C/C++, Visual Basic an advantage) except they only accept people who are 16-18 (depends on the job) or older...

Except for one smaller "job" - teaching VB where the age limit is 14 or older - I'm going to go there next year!

------------------
    Yonatan
    Teenage Programmer
    E-Mail: RZvika@netvision.net.il
    AIM: RYoni69

Lively Member

im a 16 year old programmer, but i dont make any money. any tips on how to start making some?

------------------
    jimmy
    mail:jim@rdalby.f9.co.uk

Im Wossname, and im an alcoholic, no-wait thats the wrong thing, forget that.

I'm 19 and i have been using VB for about 8 months since i started my present job, at an IT company. I have taught my self from books, the MSDN cd's and this site, and i now regard myself as competant. But that is a matter of opinion! I dont actually use VB at work formally but one day when i was looking for MS excel i clicked the wrong icon and wound up in this weird program called VB4, i noticed i could add buttons to a grey box (form), and i was inspired!

------------------

Wossname,
    Email me: wossnamex@talk21.com

Addicted Member

Hi!
    I'm 24 and been programming for 4 years now. I know Oracle, SQL, PL/SQL, C++, Cobol, VB (VBA also of course). I started my own company this January and got "Inc." (not sure if thats what you call it in englis, I'm from montreal, québec and french speaking)

I started my company with a friend from school. We develop solutions for businesses and guess what.... (AND I AM NOT JOKING HERE!) they pay us 4000$ to 12000$ (canadian dollars but still...)

So in my opinion, there really is a way to make money at programming, you just have to work hard at it and bring innovative ideas.

P.S.: If any of you live near Montreal (Quebec), Send me your info... I'll see what I can do! technicode@videotron.ca

Best of luck to you all
    David Laplante
    Technicode inc.

What about you compuGEEK?

What's your computing background?

------------------
    Mark Sreeves
    Analyst Programmer

Mark.Sreeves@Softlab.co.uk
    A BMW Group Company

What is the world record? (You must know at least a little about something in order to break it, and that goes for all the meanings of the word break)

------------------
    Yonatan
    Teenage Programmer
    E-Mail: RZvika@netvision.net.il
    AIM: RYoni69

Addicted Member

Yeah see im 14 and program in html, vb, C++(the best ever) . Me and my friends make programs for free. A companys asks us to make it we are like ok . We do this because doing somthing you like for money is not right to us

PowerPoster

Yonatan, I wouldn't have a clue even if they're is a world record for the number of posts to a single topic, but they have records for the furthest distance you can pop your eyes out their sockets, so why the hell not?!!?

Regards,

------------------
    - Chris
    chris.kilhams@btinternet.com
    If it ain't broke - don't fix it

[This message has been edited by chrisjk (edited 11-25-1999).]

Addicted Member

yeah thats do that that whould be ezy

hello i'm 14 and i started with VB just last summer and i have been studying it in my free time i don't know that much about it but i am trying to learn! for as much as i read i should no somthing but i have do it all over again because i have found out if u don't use it you loose it and thats what is happening heh . . . i know i am not a programmer or anything i just am bored

------------------
    Cory Sanchez
    Young Student
    ICQ#: 18640149

I'm 18, programmed from early ages of my life with Commodore 64 (that I got (actually paid billions for it) from my brother). Getting ready to enter the world of work soon (High School Senior). Currently working on a massive map project (click on map to place information using DB and bitblt and other blah, complete map file's size is over 120 mb =)

• Programming skills: (in order of how well I know the language)
    • Dos side:QBasic, Turbo Pascal, C++
    • Win side:VB, Delphi
    • Unix side:Perl,SH(ell) scripts, C/C++
    • WIN&UNIX :HTML (only language that I made money with)

Time to sleep now, it's 01:44 here so goodnite and don't drink too much coke. =)

And HEY,
    HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all of you
    (free holiday for me=)

------------------
    -Matti Kiviranta
    AyS of AyS Systems
    (PGP protected )
    ------------------

[This message has been edited by AyS (edited 11-26-1999).]

I'm 14 and started programming on an IBM-XT when I was 7 with BASICA. When I was about 10 I taught myself QuickBASIC (wasn't too hard considering it is so much like BASICA.) I learned HTML somewhere along the line (but as many have said so far, that doesn't count.) When I was about 12 I started Visual Basic 5. I tried learning C++ later by reading "Dummies guide to..." and "Teach yourself..." books but I only remember how to make the computer beep and how to end a program with C++. I don't make any money but I can't honestly say I ever tried.

~Stoinker~

Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast