dcsimg

Thread: [RESOLVED] PhotoShop 7.0 in Vista?

Resolved [RESOLVED] PhotoShop 7.0 in Vista?

Hi,

I am currently re-installing programs on my pc after buying Vista as well as a new hard drive. I have installed most of the programs I need on Vista. However, Photo Shop 7.0 doesn't seem to like Vista, every time I run it I receive the following error:

Failed to initialize Security Client. Error code: 202
    If I am unable to use Photo Shop 7.0 on Vista I can use it on my laptop running Windows XP. I trying to make some more room on my laptop though but I should hopefully only need Photo Shop 7.0 for another 6 months during school anyway.

Thanks,

Nightwalker
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    Please consider giving me some rep points if I help you a lot.
    Please rate my post if you find it helpful!
    Technology is a dangerous thing in the hands of an idiot! I am that idiot.

Re: PhotoShop 7.0 in Vista?

That error is because The time on the trial has expired....
    A good exercise for the Heart is to bend down and help another up...
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved

Microsoft MVP: 2011 - 2015 IMP Links : Acceptable Use Policy, FAQ
    MyGear:
    ACER R7 (Win 8.1+Office 2013+VS2013) || Sony VPCCB-45FN with a Win10+Office 2010. || Mac Book Pro (10.6.8) with Office 2011

How did the program figure that out? I have just installed in on my pc using a brand new hard drive and Photo Shop had not been installed on it before. I have the same setup on my laptop running XP and Photo Shop works properly.

Would changing the year date on my pc help?
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.

This is really strange! I don't understand why PS 7.0 is able to work correctly on XP and not on Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83
    How did the program figure that out? .....
    I am not sure but PS 7 works with Vista, that is for sure... Have you put the correct key? Click on Help->About and check teh status of this program.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83
    I will never recommend or comment on this
    A good exercise for the Heart is to bend down and help another up...
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved

Microsoft MVP: 2011 - 2015 IMP Links : Acceptable Use Policy, FAQ
    MyGear:
    ACER R7 (Win 8.1+Office 2013+VS2013) || Sony VPCCB-45FN with a Win10+Office 2010. || Mac Book Pro (10.6.8) with Office 2011

Quote Originally Posted by koolsid
    I am not sure but PS 7 works with Vista, that is for sure... Have you put the correct key? Click on Help->About and check teh status of this program.

I will never recommend or comment on this
    This is the trial version I'm having trouble with! The trial version doesn't require a product key. Like I said above it works in XP even though it is five or so years since that version of Photo Shop was released.
    Last edited by Nightwalker83; Feb 4th, 2009 at 02:54 AM.

I have no idea why the problem is happening or what you could do to fix it, but depending on your needs you might be able to use Paint.Net (which is free, and works perfectly on Vista) instead of PhotoShop.

Quote Originally Posted by si_the_geek
    I have no idea why the problem is happening or what you could do to fix it, but depending on your needs you might be able to use Paint.Net (which is free, and works perfectly on Vista) instead of PhotoShop.
    Unfortunately, I need to use the functions in PhotoShop in a class at school. Thanks, for the suggestion though!

Edit:

I should also mention that I'm using Vista: Ultimate.

Edit II:

Source: softlookup.com/display.asp?id=57679

Category: Utilities and Tools
    Publisher: Adobe
    Last Updated: 10/10/2002
    Requirements: Not specified
    License: Function Limited
    Operating system: 9x/NT/2000/ME/XP
    File size: 162 MB
    It doesn't mention Vista in the operating systems list! I have not been about to locate full list of system requirements for the product because the trial wasn't distributed with them.

Edit III:

My Systems are:

Laptop (PS 7.0 working):

Windows XP Home
    Version 2002
    SP3

Intel Pentium M processor 1.73GHz
    504MB of RAM
    PC:

Windows Vista Ultimate
    Version 2007
    SP1
    RAM 2GB
    Not even hanging the compatibility to XP helps! I still receive the error I reported in the first post.

It appears that it has something to do with the memory:

Could not start Adobe Photoshop because the volume Windows is using for Virtual Memory does not have enough free space, which could lead to stablity problems.
    Last edited by Nightwalker83; Feb 4th, 2009 at 12:02 AM.

Yay! I manage to get Photo Shop 7.0 working. I just increased the amount of Virtual Memory that was being used. I typed "Increase Virtual Memory" in to Windows Help and that information helped solve the problem.

Re: [RESOLVED] PhotoShop 7.0 in Vista?

Unfortunately, I will have to buy Adobe CS3 for use in my advanced Photo Shop class for school. PS 7.0 doesn't have the appropriate tools or features for the class.

isn't photoshop 9 (or whatever the number is) available separately? cs3 is very expensive. And besides which if you're going to shell out the bucks, get cs4.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Orwell
    isn't photoshop 9 (or whatever the number is) available separately?
    Yes, it is! However, it is still very expensive and hard to track down a student version.

cs3 is very expensive. And besides which if you're going to shell out the bucks, get cs4.
    Yeah, I am going to buy the whole cs4 academic bundle on the weekend. I don't even know if Photo Shop CS4 comes in an academic version!

The only version close to it available for the place I usually buy software and adobe.com seems to be Photo Shop Extended CS4. Which is available in an academic version except it is my understanding that is not the actual software but the plug-ins, etc to upgrade CS3 to CS4.

Edit:

Now I can't decided whether to get CS4 Design Standard (academic):

Adobe Creative Suite 4 Design Standard
    Adobe® Creative Suite® 4 Design Standard software is the essential toolkit for print design and production. Boost productivity with exciting new tools that enable the creation of eye-catching digital images and vector graphics, sophisticated page layout, and efficient prepress and production. Work confidently within this tightly integrated creative environment to deliver exceptional print results.

Design Standard combines Adobe InDesign® CS4, Photoshop® CS4, Illustrator® CS4, and Acrobat® 9 Pro with additional tools and services.
    or

Adobe Creative Suite 4 Web Premium:

Tackle websites, applications, user interfaces, and other digital experiences with complete confidence in the power of Adobe® Creative Suite® 4 Web Premium software. From world-class image editing prowess to sophisticated code-handling capabilities to multiplatform deployment options, Web Premium is the comprehensive solution for the professional web designer and developer.

Web Premium combines Adobe Dreamweaver® CS4, Flash® CS4 Professional, Photoshop® CS4 Extended, Illustrator® CS4, Fireworks® CS4, Acrobat® 9 Pro, Soundbooth® CS4, and Contribute® CS4 with additional tools and services.
    or

CS4 Design Premium (academic):

Adobe® Creative Suite® 4 Design Premium software is the ultimate toolkit for crafting precise page layouts, creating stunning images and graphics, developing
    eye-catching web pages and rich interactive experiences, and producing them all with utmost fidelity. Realize the full promise of cross-media design and discover innovative ways to collaborate, all within a single unified creative environment.

Design Premium combines Adobe InDesign® CS4, Photoshop® CS4 Extended, Illustrator® CS4, Flash® CS4 Professional, Dreamweaver® CS4, Fireworks® CS4, and Acrobat® 9 Pro with additional tools and services.
    I can't tell the difference between the three packages!
    Last edited by Nightwalker83; Feb 18th, 2009 at 02:32 AM.