Thread: Runtime Error 438 webbrowser

Hyperactive Member

Runtime Error 438 webbrowser

Hi guys,

Im goin crazy, i get errror 438 when tryin to click a button in a webbrowser form!

The funny thing is that it work for everybody else...but not for me!!

I installed windows vista on my wmvare, and still the same hahaha

I don't know if to cry or laugh anymore
    Thanks for helping me out.

PowerPoster

Re: Runtime Error 438 webbrowser

click a button in a webbrowser form!
    what button, doing what?
    what if you click the same button on that page in internet explorer?
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

Hyperactive Member

The button is :

Webbrowser.Document.All("login").Click

i can click it in IE browser with no problems.

i dont know why this happened to me..and other can execute that command line???

maybe i could send a screenshot of my COMPONET linking to the file....

PowerPoster

better to post a link to the webpage
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

pete

Hyperactive Member

What link?

Im telling that...that code is a part of the code..that WORKS PERFECTLY on OTHER COMPUTERS not on my pc...not on my vb...

what could it be...bad linkage to system references in the registry??

my friend has a bigger ieframe.dll file... and the shwdoc.dll or so....it's bigger in size..and he sent it over to me..but icant replace it...file in use...says

What is the error description?
    Regards,

â„¢

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

Hyperactive Member

"Object does not support this property or method"

Error 438

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by batori
    What link?

Im telling that...that code is a part of the code..that WORKS PERFECTLY on OTHER COMPUTERS not on my pc...not on my vb...

what could it be...bad linkage to system references in the registry??

my friend has a bigger ieframe.dll file... and the shwdoc.dll or so....it's bigger in size..and he sent it over to me..but icant replace it...file in use...says
    Try putting the DLLs in the same folder as the project (this way it will not use the one in the system's directory).

Hyperactive Member

Ok, will try m8!
    wil let you know if it worked

Hyperactive Member

tried it...still notihing... :S

PowerPoster

Well for pete sakes man you need to add the DLLs to the VB References.

After placing the DLLs in the VB Project directory open up your VB Project and click on

Project-->References.

Now use the Browse button and navigate to the VB Project directory where you placed the DLLs and add them to the list.

Now put a check mark in the box to the left of the item so that it becomes added to your tool box. Now remove the old objects from your project and add the new one to your project instead of the one(s) that was previously added from the system's directory.

Keep in mind that these new components are only for the current project you are working on. All other VB projects you have going on that are using any of these will still pick up the DLLs from the system's directory.

This is just for testing the project you are having problems with and it is not recommended that you refer to these new DLLs from this VB Project's directory for other projects because in the event you move stuff around you will get into trouble later and also this will only work for you and you cannot distribute this application to another PC as that PC will not have the correct reference to the DLLs.

Bottom line is that eventually you will need to put the DLLs in the system's directory but that is another problem.
    Last edited by jmsrickland; Feb 2nd, 2009 at 09:15 AM.

Hyperactive Member

Hehe m8!
    I tried that...

aadd ing the reference to a new location...but as soon as i click OK, and reopen the reference i see it's linking to system32/ieframe.dll, instead of Visualstudio path as before...

I tried this thing before..evn had a reg fix to link the ieframedll to stay linked where i wanted it to be

but now i tested it again..and error again!

PowerPoster

Well, the only thing I can think of as to how to get those DLLs into the system's directory is to use DOS. However, you said you are on Vista and I don't have a clue about using DOS with Vista. But if you could use DOS then you would have to have those DLLs on either a CD or a diskette. You would then make a copy of the original DLLs and place the copies in another directory (just in case you need to get them back) then shut down your PC and bring it back up again in the DOS mode and using DOS erase the original DLLs from the system's directory and then copy the new DLLs from your external media (CD/Diskette or whatever) into the system's directory. Then reboot back to Windows. The risk involved is, even if you can do this, is the impact of the new DLLs on other existing applications that run good on the original DLLs. It may have an adverse effect.

I am surprised however that you were not able to reference the new DLLs that you added to the Reference list. Make sure that your remove the old reference to the DLLs from your VB program (Ie, remove the WebBrowser control from your project) so that you are in essense starting over again. Then after adding the reference to the new DLLs in the project directory to the VB's compoments list re-add that onto your VB project. I don't understand why you should have a problem. I have done this many time even having two references to the same component on the list but in different locations has always worked for me (on Windows XP). I would try to work it out to reference the components in their new location before I would attempt to replace them in the system's directory. I just got to believe that it can be done but again I can't comment on wheather it will work on Vista or not.

PowerPoster

try unregistering them before copying over then register again, or just register the ones in you app directory, they should then be the ones the system uses

pete

Hyperactive Member

Im using Xp, and i installed vista on Vmware and still i get the same error....
    I tried deletin the file in dos with xp, and replacing it..but it didnt work...i restarted windows, and before win loading i got into does...but it wont replace the files...

Ill try unregistering then registering the file as westconn1 said...

ill let you know..

PowerPoster

You keep syaing you can't replace the files. If you can bring up the PC into the DOS mode then you should be able to first delete the original DLLs and then copy the new DLLs into the system directory. If you can delete them then you are not replacing them you are just simply putting new files into the system's directory. I use DOS all the time to delete and copy new files into the system's directory since under DOS you are not restricted with the Windows protections that are associated with system files. The only thing I can think of is that you may have to remove the system's file protection indicator from those files first before trying to delete then copy the new files. Basically though you shouldn't be having these problems under DOS; after all, that is one of the reasons for DOS.

Are you using a DOS boot disk to bring up your PC or are you bringing up DOS through the command line prompt?

Another method I use now and then although it requires two PCs is to remove the OS hard drive from the 1st PC and mount it as a slave on the 2nd PC then using the 2nd PC bring up Windows and you can do whatever you want with the files on the slave drive. Then put the hard drive back on the 1st PC again as the master and boot it up with the new stuff on it.
    Last edited by jmsrickland; Feb 2nd, 2009 at 06:47 PM.

Hyperactive Member

Yeah..the second method is the better one...but i odnt have another pc at the moment...ok

this time ill frist deleted the file from dos then put another..

i'll let you know...
    thanks!

PowerPoster

Yeah..the second method is the better one...but i odnt have another pc at the moment...ok

this time ill frist deleted the file from dos then put another..

i'll let you know...
    thanks!
    I understand. I don't understand why everyone doesn't have a 2nd PC since you can buy one with monitor for around 20 bucks or so. I have 6 PCs (w/monitor) and I probably paid no more than 40 bucks for the most expensive and more like 20 bucks for the others.

Even if you don't have two PCs you can use one PC to do the same thing as long as you have a 2nd HD with an OS on it. Just take the drive with the files that you want to replace and make it the slave and make the other drive the master. Then do what you need to do on the slave then switch it back to the master.

Hyperactive Member

Tried it now...

No luck...

PowerPoster

Tried it now...

No luck...
    Tried what now?

You need to be more specific.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmsrickland
    Well, the only thing I can think of as to how to get those DLLs into the system's directory is to use DOS. However, you said you are on Vista and I don't have a clue about using DOS with Vista. But if you could use DOS then you would have to have those DLLs on either a CD or a diskette. You would then make a copy of the original DLLs and place the copies in another directory (just in case you need to get them back) then shut down your PC and bring it back up again in the DOS mode and using DOS erase the original DLLs from the system's directory and then copy the new DLLs from your external media (CD/Diskette or whatever) into the system's directory. Then reboot back to Windows. The risk involved is, even if you can do this, is the impact of the new DLLs on other existing applications that run good on the original DLLs. It may have an adverse effect.

I am surprised however that you were not able to reference the new DLLs that you added to the Reference list. Make sure that your remove the old reference to the DLLs from your VB program (Ie, remove the WebBrowser control from your project) so that you are in essense starting over again. Then after adding the reference to the new DLLs in the project directory to the VB's compoments list re-add that onto your VB project. I don't understand why you should have a problem. I have done this many time even having two references to the same component on the list but in different locations has always worked for me (on Windows XP). I would try to work it out to reference the components in their new location before I would attempt to replace them in the system's directory. I just got to believe that it can be done but again I can't comment on wheather it will work on Vista or not.

well this ...