Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my latest pc project...

my latest pc project...

here's a teaser photo.

I am taking plenty of photos and have progressed pretty far. Only setback so far is i've never worked with plexiglas before and it's what i am using for the back. I broke it.

But it's going to be a tivo killer when i'm done. So far it's got a dvd burner installed, 160gb sata hard drive, athalon core-2, 4gb ram, and a really interesting motherboard. Has dvi-out and hdmi out natively.

It's an asus board: m3a78-em. Here's a photo of the back plate:

As far as i know, it's the first motherboard designed specifically to be made into a media center system.
    Last edited by Lord Orwell; Jan 12th, 2009 at 08:14 PM.
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell

Re: my latest pc project...

For cutting plexiglass, I use a jigsaw with a fine-tooth (14 tpi or more) blade designed for wood. Work slowly and keep the blade at a constant (but not too fast) speed.

For curving plexiglass, heat it to at least 140° F but watch for bubbling if you get it too hot.

i got the thinnest piece they had available. I think i'm going to get a thicker one next time. It should be tougher. This board has another interesting feature i haven't managed to get to work yet (probably due to the raid): It has 5-seconds-until-online, a tiny OS developed mostly by ASUS that gives full internet functionality including flash 9, acrobat reader, firefox 2.xx, skype, and instant messaging. I'm having problems getting the board to know i installed the required files on the HD though. I was cutting the plexiglass with a dremel abrasion tool but i didn't score deep enough and that was all she wrote.

edit: closer to getting the tiny os to work. It requires either standard IDE drives or a usb drive. I installed it on a usb stick and it boots. Still won't launch though. I think it's hung up looking for network.
    Last edited by Lord Orwell; Jan 12th, 2009 at 08:24 PM.

Wow, somebody who found an actual use for a dremel!
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Hyperactive Member Arrow_Raider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Orwell
    i was just going to post a question about this. How are you controlling the lcd and how much was it? I just turned an old phillips cd-i into a media center computer but i don't have an lcd on it. There has to be a cheap answer, for chrissakes. A sideshow device is only $49 but for some reason every lcd i've seen for sale is higher. Heck i've even got the original lcd it had in it, but i wouldn't know where to begin programming this thing.
    So how goes the LCD feature?
    My monkey wearing the fedora points and laughs at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow_Raider
    So how goes the LCD feature?
    i am eyeballing a ready-made sideshow device that has an lcd. It's about $30 u.s. and is powered by USB. Probably going to pick it up in the next couple of weeks. I had some serious issues with a windows mobile 6 phone. I was going to use that as a sideshow remote but the sideshow program refused to install on the phone. No permissions. I don't know why. I installed divx easily. I am guessing it had something to do with main screen since sideshow changes it. Ended up returning the phone. I have another more important issue anyway. Testing has shown it overheats. I need to put a blow-hole over the processor. There's venting on that side of the case, but not enough.

If it were an xbox 360, that problem would actually be a feature.

based on testing, the 120mm blowhole stopped overheating of the processor. The gpu chip on the board is still getting pretty hot though so i think i will mount a fan in there near it.

Mounting a 120mm fan on the blowhole i made not only stopped the built-in video from overheating, but also rendered the cpu fan unnecessary. Net result is the system is quieter. Oddly only one local store actually carried a fan that size and they were only available with leds. So the case has a mild red glow now. Here's another teaser photo: When i'm done i'll be posting somewhere a step-by-step build of it. As it curretnly stands, the only thing i need to do to make it a functionally usable system is mount the back plate. Future plans call for mounting the lcd, installing tuner cards, and replacing the dvd burner with two drives: A slim-line dvd burner and a slim-line blu-ray drive. If i can find a combo-drive that does both, so much the better.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Lord Orwell; Jan 12th, 2009 at 08:22 PM. Reason: added pic

Frenzied Member MaximilianMayrhofer's Avatar

I'm going to request that you slip that puppy in the back of a closet when you're done. Or at least out of sight. I live thousands of miles away and that picture is already devaluing my property. :P

Yeah, couldn't you have at least washed it? You should wash it and then spray paint it so it is a less repulsive color.

Also, when you plan on putting a video on youtube explaining your projects, please make them as if you were not a group of giggly* 13 year old girls who just got a digital camera. kthxbai

*i used this word instead of 2 other words... didnt want the risk of being banned
    My usual boring signature: Something

i already have videos on there. Which exact one was coming across as done by a 13 year old? Is it the one i've linked to in my signature?

As for washing it, It was clean when i started. Most of the stuff you see on it is grinding dust.

And as for the color, it's actually darker than that picture makes it look. I'm still learning how to use that camera and i had the light settings wrong. It pretty much looks like any other piece of home audio equipment, color-wise.
    Last edited by Lord Orwell; Jan 14th, 2009 at 01:34 AM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOEtE...eature=channel

Zooming, moving too fast, too close
    My usual boring signature: Something

edit: closer to getting the tiny os to work. It requires either standard IDE drives or a usb drive. I installed it on a usb stick and it boots. Still won't launch though. I think it's hung up looking for network.
    How have you installed it?
    It should be just a matter of installing it in Windows (from CD) and then enabling it in the BIOS.

I've done this before, even with a SATA drive. Works fine.
    Delete it. They just clutter threads anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigB
    How have you installed it?
    It should be just a matter of installing it in Windows (from CD) and then enabling it in the BIOS.

I've done this before, even with a SATA drive. Works fine.
    i don't know if it's due to the version i had but it even stated in the manual it required an ide or usb drive. Did you have your drive set to ide mode? I have yet to figure out how to do that in this bios.

Quote Originally Posted by dclamp

that's my camerawoman's fault. Watch the latest one on controlling an external device.

My goal is to have each video higher quality than the one before. I've pretty pressed the limit on what i can do in movie maker. I am considering getting a 3rd party program.

Quote Originally Posted by dclamp

It seemed to work fine here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwsWskgKe5E

It seemed to work fine here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwsWskgKe5E
    how does one even FIND videos like that to link to?

type Woss is new Grumpy; wossname's Avatar

What is that an old BetaMax VCR? It looks like it's been floating in a canal for 27 years.
    I don't live here any more.

Point. Match. Game.

it's a phillips cd-interactive, the first device capable of playing video-cds.

Today's work included installing this:
    Media lab a2328

It is interesting to note that the device is capable of not only powering off the computer with the power button, but turning it back on as well. It features an atx power supply plug adapter that keeps the IR powered even when the computer is off, and a pass-thru for the power switch wires.

I was able to mount it on the front with only minor modifications which involved bending the prongs the power switch plugged into. It is (thanks to an updated download) completely compatible with media center and displays useful info, rss feeds, and even a spectrum analyzer when you play music. I am VERY impressed with this hardware. The remote also doubles as a wireless mouse and custom keypresses can be assigned to individual programs.

type Woss is new Grumpy; wossname's Avatar

Luxury is being able to turn on your PC with a remote control. It would be even more luxurious if you didn't have to wait 10 minutes for Vista to boot.

Linux isn't exactly fast booting either.

You can make vista boot really fast. All you have to do is disable every service.

Linux isn't exactly fast booting either.
    Compared to Vista? I'm afraid to tell you this, but yes, it is.

you don't actually have to wait on vista at all. The board comes with a mini-os on board. 5 seconds to internet, skype, im from power on. Of course, the remote doesn't work in that...

All in all i find the fastest booting to be hibernate mode. Off to full functionality in about 20 seconds.

Frenzied Member

Dude, spray paint it black when your done, its fugly!

i just hope i can get the @#$# power options to work on this board. If i put it in standby, if it actually comes back out of standby, the wireless internet and bluetooth fail. This may not be an issue in practice since in actual media center use it will be wired internet, but for now it's annoying. The bigger issue is the remote receiver is ALSO usb and it also shuts off. going to and coming back from hibernate is fine but i am pretty sure you can't have media center wake from hibernation to start a recording.

i am pretty sure you can't have media center wake from hibernation to start a recording.
    Well if you build an app to launch the recording. There is a way for an app to wake up from hibernation.
    Codebank.
    (and looking through the thread I see you've replied in this thread )
    Also changing the ACPI mode might resolve your issue with USB and stuff not waking up.
    Delete it. They just clutter threads anyway.

i just hope i can get the @#$# power options to work on this board. If i put it in standby, if it actually comes back out of standby, the wireless internet and bluetooth fail. This may not be an issue in practice since in actual media center use it will be wired internet, but for now it's annoying. The bigger issue is the remote receiver is ALSO usb and it also shuts off. going to and coming back from hibernate is fine but i am pretty sure you can't have media center wake from hibernation to start a recording.
    Find the Device in Device Manager, and disallow windows turning it off to save power. This may resolve the issue.
    Zeegnahtuer?

i solved the problem. it was two different problems. One was i had an older model usb hub and it was powering down and not up again so nothing plugged into it was coming out of standby. The 2nd problem was my wireless n adapter. For whatever reason, it will power down and up on a port set to full-speed, but won't power up on a port set to full speed. It might be an issue with the board driver. The device was actually listed in device manager as being hooked to two different usb ports. I disabled the hi-speed one and it works now, although the maximum internet speed is now limited to about 500kbs, down from 30,000.

That story was arousing.

That story was arousing.
    it was also wrong. i meant to say it won't power up again on a port set to hi-speed, but works fine on one set to full-speed.

Also for everyone who thinks it's fugly, i have the solution:

Two apple decals i got out of a macbook package.

How does iTuner sound? Or MacinTuner? Or iMediaCenter?
    Last edited by Lord Orwell; Jan 21st, 2009 at 02:01 PM.

Nope, sorry, far too ugly for a Mac logo.

Max, wake me up when you have something actually relevant to post.

And to give you a guide (since I know how hard these things are), I've given you some help.

Fine! Relevance! I will suggest a name: iFugly

Quote Originally Posted by MaximilianMayrhofer
    Fine! Relevance! I will suggest a name: iFugly

i realized i never posted a final photo. Well here you go. Sorry about the poor quality. Its an old cameraphone photo and i can't take any new ones since the system has been disassembled for about two months.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You disassembled it already? You'd just built it then took it apart?
    Currently using VS 2015 Enterprise on Win10 Enterprise x64.

CodeBank: All ThreadsColors ComboBoxFading & Gradient FormMoveItemListBox/MoveItemListViewMultilineListBoxMenuButtonToolStripCheckBoxStart with Windows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast