Thread: Start a local program from web page

Hybrid View

Start a local program from web page

Don't know a thing about Java, but i think it is the only language that will do what i want.
    First off it is ran from my website and starts a program on my local pc, so i don't see where permissions would be involved.
    Button click on a web page, opens a exe file on my local pc. How ?
    Waiting for a full featured smart phone with out marrying a provider
    Go Android
    Go raiders

Re: Start a local program from web page

A website cannot run a program from your local machine.

Java in itself is a server side language (Assuming you're using JSP) and thus cannot contact your PC.

Applets can access your PC, but you would have to go into the JVM and disable every security setting they have in there before it would allow it.

Having a website that runs programs on your local machine would be a serious security flaw.

Now, if you simply want your program to connect to the website, you could have the program running on the users computer and it could detect when the website was accessed. Or, web services may be the way you want/need to go.

Quote Originally Posted by kfcSmitty
    A website cannot run a program from your local machine.

Java in itself is a server side language (Assuming you're using JSP) and thus cannot contact your PC.

Applets can access your PC, but you would have to go into the JVM and disable every security setting they have in there before it would allow it.

Having a website that runs programs on your local machine would be a serious security flaw.

Now, if you simply want your program to connect to the website, you could have the program running on the users computer and it could detect when the website was accessed. Or, web services may be the way you want/need to go.
    I am simply trying to get notified by popping up a dialog on my desktop when a user clicks on instant chat. Just like the one i pay for monthly does. I know there are plenty of programs that display messages on my desktop. Virus updates, kodak easyshare etc. No one seems to know how this done. I may have to go to a hacker site, which i don't trust
    Go Android
    Go raiders

You're thinking in the wrong direction then.

What you need to do is have a program on your local machine that queries a database. Everytime a user opens a chat session, create a flag in a database or something and read it from your program.

These programs you're talking about run in a similar way. They query their own web services to get the information needed to prompt you.

Quote Originally Posted by kfcSmitty
    You're thinking in the wrong direction then.

What you need to do is have a program on your local machine that queries a database. Everytime a user opens a chat session, create a flag in a database or something and read it from your program.

These programs you're talking about run in a similar way. They query their own web services to get the information needed to prompt you.
    I have a program that is similar that checks the my web pages every 10 minutes
    to be sure my site is running. I am really surprised as the chat program must check every second to be as fast as it is.
    http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb...71414&lngWId=1
    Go Android
    Go raiders

An easier approach would be: to add a JavaScript call to check for new messages, and if there are new messages you can flash the application in the taskbar or show an alert box... All using javascript
    "I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, save me... Superman!" - Homer Simpson
    My Blog

From what I understood, he wants himself to get prompted anytime any user opens a chat window on his website.

Sounds like you're talking about like a new message notification, ComputerJy.

yeah exactly, I didn't take time to read the whole thread :P
    "I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, save me... Superman!" - Homer Simpson
    My Blog

I hired a Renta coder to write the code. It works fine when the html file opened from my pc, but not from another pc. I click the button and a exe on my desktop opens. The html code:
    <applet code=MainApplet width=256 height=256 archive="app.jar">
    <param name=buttontxt value="Run File">
    <param name=path value="c:\test.exe">
    </applet>
    He has supplied 2 other files app.jar & appcert.crt
    The button does not even show up on the html page when opened from another pc. I think the path would be wrong if not open on my pc. How would i supply the right path. I have created a text file on my website with my IP address which updates when i start my pc. Could this be used to set the path ?
    Go Android
    Go raiders