Thread: VB6 Portable Edition

VB6 Portable Edition

I came across a portable edition of Visual Basic 6 (5.9 MB)
    http://visualbasicstarters.ueuo.com/
    Anybody tried this before!? What are the limitations ??

Re: VB6 Portable Edition

Not sure what that program can do but it sure is not an IDE for vb6.0.
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

Quote Originally Posted by waelr
    the Components are limited.
    "More Heads are Better than One"

PowerPoster

i have seen this, can run vb6 on any machine without installing, handy for debugging code on site
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

PowerPoster

It is a copy of VB6 installed using a pirated license key, packaged with ThinStall/ThinApp or a similar tool.

I don't see how it can be legal even if you have a license for VB6.

Even the VB6 Student Edition is free to download but thats only 26Mb so don't expect to much from this one.
    Keith

I've been programming with VB for 25 years. Started with VB4 16bit Pro, VB5 Pro, VB6 Pro/Enterprise and now VB3 Pro. But I'm no expert, I'm still learning.

Frenzied Member

There's a legit VB6 portable. It comes for free with tutorial books like VB6 for dummies. Since it is free, if distributed online for free, it is legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben321 View Post
    There's a legit VB6 portable. It comes for free with tutorial books like VB6 for dummies. Since it is free, if distributed online for free, it is legal.
    You shouldn't bump/reply to old threads like this. The last post here was a year and a half ago.

Quote Originally Posted by waelr View Post
    Promises miracles. Delivers little. Limitations are huge.
    Doctor Ed

PowerPoster

I still haven't seen any evidence of a legal "portable VB."

The Dummies book's supplier says:

Plus, the bonus CD-ROM that comes with Visual Basic 6 For Dummies includes all the source code and examples from the book, along with demo or trial versions of some cool VB and ActiveX programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben321 View Post
    There's a legit VB6 portable.
    I've certainly never seen any indication of that being true - and I have actively checked.
    It comes for free with tutorial books like VB6 for dummies.
    The edition that comes with books is either "Working Model" or "Learning", it is not "Portable".
    Since it is free, if distributed online for free, it is legal.
    That is absolutely ridiculous - you clearly have no idea about copyright law.

PowerPoster

Beyond all of this I'm confused by the attraction of such a thing.

If you don't already have (legit) VB6 you probably aren't a VB6 programmer already. If that is true I'm not sure why you wouldn't just get the current VB.Net Express edition and start learning that language.

From what I've seen this "portable" thing is pretty crippled by flaws and couldn't be used to support existing applications. From the questions people using it post, it must not come with the proper VB6 documentation. It just doesn't seem very attractive.

Its presence on BitTorrent sites doesn't lend any air of credibility either.

Frenzied Member

I thought the "express" version of classic VB was the control creation edition????.... Is that perhaps what they are considering to be the "portable" version as it is only about half the size (install file wise) as the standard edition of classic visual basic 6.0???
    Option Explicit should not be an Option!

No... the Control Creation Edition was a cut-down version of VB5, which only let you make controls, not .Exe projects etc. There was no equivalent for VB6, the closest was Learning/Working-Model, which IIRC didn't allow you to compile anything.

I have only ever seen the name "Portable Edition" used for a pirated (and very heavily hacked) version of VB6, which I believe is designed to work without being installed.

I'm not sure on the legality of it if you have a licence for VB6, but most of the people on the forums who have said they use it admitted to not having a licence - and only got it because it was illegally free (and many of those didn't realise that the Express editions are legitimately free - and arguably more powerful).

PowerPoster

I think there actually was a VB6CCE, but it was only released as part of the stand-alone VFP 6.0 Pro or Enterprise package. VFP users who had the full VS6 package wouldn't have needed a CCE.

However you could use VB5CCE as a training tool for VB5. As stated you just couldn't compile and save an EXE, you had to run those in the IDE.

That is possible... but as VB5 CCE was easy to download from MS for many years (and AFAIK a VB6 version never was), I suspect it was the VB5 one... and a quick look at the official FAQs for it in the MSKB backs up the suspicion:
    Quote Originally Posted by http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q165524/
    # Q. Is there a version 6.0 of the Control Creation Edition?

A. No. The Visual Basic 5.0 Control Creation Edition was desgined to introduce developers to creating ActiveX controls. There are no plans to upgrade the VBCCE.

Well, another good reason to believe that the above is not a Microsoft authorized release is that the person who made the autorun is not Microsoft but in this case "Adilou" I don't think Microsoft developers would put their names on the splash screen of their product. Also, if you attempt to run the executable file your malware/virus scanner will probably yell at you above an infection. Further more the youtube account supposedly belonging to the guy has been suspended suggesting the person was up to no good.

Edit:

The program already has licensed to info:

thuongvn
    BKHN
    serial number: 5002100000000085569
    I don't know if these details would be the same for any other versions of vb6.0 portable floating around.
    Last edited by Nightwalker83; Apr 16th, 2010 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Adding more!
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672