Thread: Off days at work.

Off days at work.

How many days of paid leave do you get? What country are you working in?

What kind of company do you work for?
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

Re: Off days at work.

0 this year. Racists.

Norway.
    Zeegnahtuer?

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

26 not including bank holidays !

Legal Software Company

England
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

24 + national holidays + whenever the boss man is feeling magnanimous.

Financial Planning software

US
    Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and you just water down your vodka.

Take credit, not responsibility

I get 7 paid hollidays.... and 2 weeks (10 days) paid vacation.... but Ican't take anything for the first 6 months I'm here (jsut started 2 months ago).... and I have to earn the days first before I can take them.... but at least any unused ones roll over to the next year (unlike my last place which was use or lose every year).

-tg

edit - forgot to mention - I work for a construction company (in the IT dept)... in Nebraska.
    Last edited by techgnome; Dec 1st, 2008 at 12:15 PM.
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

10 holidays and 2 weeks a year. Software company in New England. Also 5 sick days a year. I can work from home also. As I'm doing to day since I hurt my back on Saturday
    Sometimes the Programmer
    Sometimes the DBA

Mazz1

I have 10 paid days a year and National holidays.
    No sick leave.
    No working from home, except under special circumstances.

If I don't use my leave, I lose it.
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

Some standard number of holidays, perhaps 10 or so, about four weeks vacation (now that I've been here for eleven years), about two weeks sick leave, and flex time. The flex time is the big one, as I can build up another six weeks of leave if I want to, by working late or on weekends. May not seem like much of a deal, but why not do the work during the winter months, and spend the summer playing?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Paid leave? 20 days + 8 banks. Officially.

I work part-time and also take another 36 days unpaid (school holidays). Due to organisational difficulties, I usually get paid full time hours if I hand in my holiday arrangement paperwork when the relevant staff are themselves on holiday. The first couple of times this happened, I told the relevant staff who said "Why should we correct their (temp staff) mistakes ?". Enough said. I tried.

The extra time off also reduces my income tax liability. In effect, most of my unpaid time off is subsidised...

I also have every Saturday and Sunday off, and am usually home by 16:20. The downside is that I have to get up at 06:10. But I do have a 6 hour meal break

All this spare time, and I still haven't walked along Striding Edge because of the crap weather we've had in the UK this year. (I think I'll buy a campervan / autosleeper)

24 days paid holiday (plus the option to trade in up to 5 days worth of salary for extra) + bank holidays
    8 weeks sick leave + time out for appointments as and when
    Flexible Hours with the option to work from home.

Financial Services

We are required to work from the office unless there is a good reason to work at home as we handle forensic evidence and that is our secure environment . We are also not expected to complain if we have to work evenings one week to meet deadlines or weekends in special circumstances.

In return they support a good work / life balance; as demonstrated above.
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || Click || Slap ILMV || 1337 c0d || GotoMyPc For FREE! Part 1, Part 2

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax * Xslt | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Latest quote: crptcblade - VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.

Random VisualAd: Blog - Latest Post: When the Internet becomes Electricity!!

Spread happiness and joy. Rate good posts.

Addicted Member

The standard holidays, about 10. Once I make a year, I get a week of vaction (wee!).

Sick days are somewhat arbitrary. Since I'm on salary, I can take one day here, one day there, and it's no big deal (a lot of people abuse this). The only thing is that if I'm going to be out two or more days in a row, gotta have a doctor's excuse when I come back (I'm not sure how strictly this is enforced).

You can work from home, if it's for a good reason (sick, school's closed and you have to take care of kids, etc.). Unfortunately for me, I'm low man on the totem pole, so I don't have a ball & chain...errr...laptop to work from home with. Unless I am on-call, then I will have our on-call laptop.

Flex time is a big bonus. I knock out my work week Mon-Thurs, so I have a 3-day weekend every week (we're going through a managment change on our team though, so I'm unsure of how long they will let me get away with this). Sometimes I will still come to work on Friday if we have something that needs to be completed by the following Monday.

I work in the IT division of a retail company.
    If my post helped you, please rate it!

Languages: VB/ASP.NET 2005, C# 2008,VB6
    Databases: Oracle (knowledge not currently in use), DB2

FROM Customers
    WHERE We_Know_What_We_Want <> DB.Null
    SELECT *
    0 rows returned

15 paid days off, 9 paid holidays, USA.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! mendhak's Avatar

29 days + all bank holidays + 12 sick days

Software, UK.

20 paid holidays (can be carried over the next year but not after that) + all holidays,
    the 6 days a year sick leave i can have if ever they are going to make me a regular employee, just started about 3 months ago.

I do 10am - 5:30pm which is a big improvement compared to my previous work place. I can work at home if I have trouble getting to office on some days. Extra overtime done over the weekend can be traded for more pay or more vacation leave.

Software company, England

Quote Originally Posted by oceanebelle
    20 paid holidays (can be carried over the next year but not after that) + all holidays,
    the 6 days a year sick leave i can have if ever they are going to make me a regular employee, just started about 3 months ago.

I do 10am - 5:30pm which is a big improvement compared to my previous work place. I can work at home if I have trouble getting to office on some days. Extra overtime done over the weekend can be traded for more pay or more vacation leave.

Software company, England
    What about loopback days?
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || Click || Slap ILMV || 1337 c0d || GotoMyPc For FREE! Part 1, Part 2

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax * Xslt | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Latest quote: crptcblade - VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.

Random VisualAd: Blog - Latest Post: When the Internet becomes Electricity!!

Spread happiness and joy. Rate good posts.

PowerPoster

Well generally in the UK its around 24 days. At MS its more than that.

I work for myself, so anytime I can have an unpaid holiday day..... - generally speaking.

MVP 2007-2010 any chance of a regain?
    Professional Software Developer and Infrastructure Engineer.

28 days + national holidays (~4) + as many sick days as you need.

Software and consultancy, The Netherlands
    I code C#....

Lively Member

23 + 9 public hols

Software, N.Ireland

I get nothing, as I am currently doing contract work.

Which is fine by me. I can take time off anytime I want, just don't get paid.

I'm up for a 30 hour work week!
    Merry Christmas