Thread: Mumbai attacks

Mumbai attacks

101 dead at this point, 250 wounded.

My condolences and support to our Indian friends.
    Here's to us!
    Who's like us?
    Darned few, and they're all dead!

Re: Mumbai attacks

It's a horrible, horrible thing.

Mumbai's one of my favourite cities in the world. I visited there with my family last year; we had dinner in the Oberoi hotel a couple of times, and had a couple of lunches at the Leopold Café. We spent a few hours at the railway station (VT) as well, watching the dabbawallahs. The first two places are full of Westerners (no doubt the main targets), but we were pretty much the only white people at VT when we went. Quite why they went in there and stated shooting is beyond me. Presumably they're going for places that tourists have heard of.

I honestly don't know what they're hoping to achieve. Surely they can't imagine that this would help their cause, whatever it may be.
    Indecisiveness is the key to flexibility.

www.mangojacks.com

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I honestly don't know what they're hoping to achieve
    All I've heard so far is that they were asking for a number of political prisoners to be released. I can't believe that's all there is to it, though, as this was an extremely well organised attack (7 places simultaneously). My guess is it's aimed either at disrupting the upcoming Indian Election or testing Obama as the new President Elect of the US.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

You're thinking too globally. In virtually every attack, such as 9/11, one of the overriding motivations was to demonstrate your capability. This demonstration is not meant for your opponents as much as it is for your supporters. These groups need a large amount of money and a large number of enthusiastic recruits. Since they have no intrinsic financial ability (they sell nothing but idealism), their very existence relies on contributions of money, material, and manpower. Attacks like this have a variety of stated goals, but the ultimate purpose is simple advertising to bring in that which they need to continue existence. Take away any of the three Ms (Money, Manpower (a recruiting base), or Material (including mobility)), and the group will fade out. Leave those three pillars untouched and the group can never be stopped simply because they can attack ANYWHERE, and as long as they are visible, they get credit for the attack.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I'm about to be a PowerPoster!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker
    In virtually every attack, such as 9/11, one of the overriding motivations was to demonstrate your capability. This demonstration is not meant for your opponents as much as it is for your supporters.
    More on these lines:
    Al Qaeda's Fantasy Ideology, by Lee Harris

A thought-provoking article, whether it holds any truth or not.

Notice how often, immediately after a terrorist attack, one or two groups falsely claim credit for it.

Israeli Proverb: All politics are local politics.

The more you think about it, the more you see this is true in all places. It is individuals making decisions, even if they decide in committees. How many decisions are made based largely on the fact that several participants drank too much coffee and are desperately in need of resolution?

There is no group so wise that they consider all aspects without bringing along their own personal baggage. In the case of all groups, a certain element will always be considering the long term viability of the group, rather than just the cause. That's life.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

This is all the result of this ]...[ Indian Govt policy who have gone soft on the terrorists. When all other countries are making their laws tighter to counter them, these people scraped away POTA law which was specifically meant to fight terrorism.
    The country is ruled by a prime minister who takes orders from this italian lady and to whom none of his ministers give a ]...[
    Last edited by mendhak; Nov 28th, 2008 at 03:16 PM.
    Pradeep, Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Please appreciate posts that have helped you by clicking icon on the left of the post.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." — Charles F. Kettering

Read articles on My Blog101 LINQ SamplesJSON ValidatorXML Schema Validator"How Do I" videos on MSDNVB.NET and C# ComparisonGood Coding PracticesVBForums Reputation SaverString EnumSuper Simple Tetris Game

(2010-2013)
    NB: I do not answer coding questions via PM. If you want my help, then make a post and PM me it's link. If I can help, trust me I will...

Quote Originally Posted by Pradeep1210
    This is all the result of this ]...[ Indian Govt policy who have gone soft on the terrorists. When all other countries are making their laws tighter to counter them, these people scraped away POTA law which was specifically meant to fight terrorism.
    The country is ruled by a prime minister who takes orders from this italian lady and to whom none of his ministers give a ]...[
    Agreed. Democracy in action is a wonderful thing, democracy in name only does not work and never will. Enact martial law, keep the politicians as well as the terrorists in check for 6 months to a year.
    Here's to us!
    Who's like us?
    Darned few, and they're all dead!

Quote Originally Posted by demotivater
    Agreed. Democracy in action is a wonderful thing, democracy in name only does not work and never will. Enact martial law, keep the politicians as well as the terrorists in check for 6 months to a year.
    Though, we could do with less of both, Martial Law is not really a solution.
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog