Thread: obama - civilian national security force

obama - civilian national security force

What was Obama getting at when he said we need a "Civilian National Security Force"? Surely he's not talking about re-instating the draft...

Addicted Member

Re: obama - civilian national security force

If he is, you guys won't see me for a while because I'll be in jail. If I thought I was the type of person that belonged in the military, I obviously would have joined by now.
    If my post helped you, please rate it!

Languages: VB/ASP.NET 2005, C# 2008,VB6
    Databases: Oracle (knowledge not currently in use), DB2

FROM Customers
    WHERE We_Know_What_We_Want <> DB.Null
    SELECT *
    0 rows returned

Quote Originally Posted by Blakk_Majik
    If he is, you guys won't see me for a while because I'll be in jail. If I thought I was the type of person that belonged in the military, I obviously would have joined by now.
    Ha, maybe we'll end up in the same jail.

Seriously, though... A lot of the military folk act like draft dodgers should be spat on, but why in the world would i want to be part of a political agenda? I'm not blindly patriotic or even remotely patriotic at that. But if i really wanted to serve the country I think 'd spend time in school and be a doctor or something.

I don't know if this is what he's alluding to or not and I haven't heard the full context around what he was talking about, but it sounds suspicious. I've found resources that say Obama and McCain both have danced around the idea of re-instating the draft and resources that say they both are against it. So who knows.

Addicted Member

Some people are comparing Obama to Hitler now, saying the "civilian national security force" is similar to what Hitler did in Germany.

Gestapo. We haz it?

There's also talkback that this new force would just be comprised of civilians that go into war-torn countries and help them rebuild. Basically, an extension of the military that doesn't shoot guns, but helps in other ways the military is currently un-equipped to handle. If this is the case, I'm all for it.

However, I don't think they would recruit me to join such an organization, when they can get people that have much more IT experience than I have that will do a better job of re-building communications infrastructure in a foreign country.
    If my post helped you, please rate it!

Languages: VB/ASP.NET 2005, C# 2008,VB6
    Databases: Oracle (knowledge not currently in use), DB2

FROM Customers
    WHERE We_Know_What_We_Want <> DB.Null
    SELECT *
    0 rows returned

Quote Originally Posted by System_Error
    What was Obama getting at when he said we need a "Civilian National Security Force"?
    He meant something like this...

Thank goodness I have a strict policy against helping others.
    Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and you just water down your vodka.

Take credit, not responsibility

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by System_Error
    What was Obama getting at when he said we need a "Civilian National Security Force"? Surely he's not talking about re-instating the draft...
    I'm not sure where you might think the draft would come from, because that wouldn't be civilian, but military still?

I would guess he means more like we have a civilian side to the police force, civy's who give out parking tickets and that sort of thing.

Let's face it, it costs a lot to train a soldier, they get paid on a fixed salary based onthat training and then there's a fair amount of people who don't want to join up incase they are sent to Iraq. Yet, you still need a large number of people in your country to run the military presence there.

So maybe he's just suggesting that you implement civilian corps who do things like disaster relief, radar operations, transport, vehicle/aircraft maintenance etc. without being fully enrolled in the army/navy/airforce?

I'm not certain if the US already has such a scheme, but I can see that it would solve quite a few problems.
    "I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy!"

Frenzied Member

It may be like Ireland's Garda Reserves. Basically part time civilian Garda. It works like neighbourhood watch with uniform.