Thread: Gay Marriage

Hyperactive Member Arrow_Raider's Avatar

Gay Marriage

This is an article in my university's newspaper in regard to gay marriage.

http://media.www.thelantern.com/medi...-3550972.shtml

Discuss.
    My monkey wearing the fedora points and laughs at you.

Frenzied Member

Re: Gay Marriage

If gay marriages give equal rights fine. But I've heard some gay people complain they can't get married in a church. I'm sorry but that's only fair. As a Christian Im not sure I would be allowed to wed in a mosque or synagogue. But im all for equality of partnerships regardless of who the partners are or there genders for that matter (animals excluded)

Yeah, why should heterosexuals be the only ones allowed to suffer?

Frankly, I think this whole issue is overblown. I have met very few gay people in my life. I'm sure they are around, they just don't announce the fact to me, so they are forgettable. Two consenting adults in a caring relationship are the least of our worries, or at least they should be.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I don't have a problem with gay marriage. It should be nobody's business. What I have a problem with is they way they insist on going about it. Putting the issue up for a vote was the right thing to do, but the bullying, intimidation and outright violence in response to the whole prop. 8 thing in CA has me wondering if these people are really mature and responsible enough for marriage.

You can bet if gay marriage was approved they would be shouting from the rooftops that "it's the will of the people!" But since they lost the "will of the people" no longer matters to them and the next inevitable step is to ram it down our throats (not literally ) through the courts.

I'm waiting for the next hit TV show "Gay Divorce Court." Now you know that would be fun to watch...

It is awfully cruel that mere majorities of people have the power to erase such happiness from people's lives, not to mention awfully peculiar that majorities have the power to deny so many their rights and liberties under the Constitution.
    Amusing that a "senior in history and political science" hasn't studied democracy. His article has the integrity of naivete.

Democracy is all about suppressing the minority views. That's one of the definitions.

On the other hand, if the popular will is that gay marriage not be allowed, is there any recourse? How about if it was giving votes to blacks? Allowing slavery (that one took a war to end)? Women's suffrage? This is just another issue.

Or they could combine their marriage with a honeymoon and come to the UK for it.
    I use VB 6, VB.Net 2003 and Office 2010

Code:
    Excel Graphing | Excel Timer | Excel Tips and Tricks | Add controls in Office | Data tables in Excel | Gaussian random number distribution (VB6/VBA,VB.Net) | Coordinates, Vectors and 3D volumes

I thought people generally went somewhere NICE on their honeymoon?!?!?

Hyperactive Member

I honestly don't see what marriage has to do with the government and laws. Lets face it, it's not just a religous institution, and it's sure as hell shouldn't be a government one. If people want to be married, then why not? Hell, why shouldn't we allow 3 men and 6 women in a 9 person marriage for all I care....

The only reason (I can think of) that the government is interested is for tax purposes... but why should a married couple get tax breaks that don't exist for those who have been unlucky in love? Couples already save money by only paying for one house etc. Each person should have the same tax allowance rules (regardless of whether they are married or not).

The only reason (that I think) that religon is interested in marriage is because it gives them some sort of power/control.
    "I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy!"

Hyperactive Member Arrow_Raider's Avatar

I also support no government involvement in marriage. Us single programmers get the shaft!

But since that won't happen, at least equality in marriage should exist.
    My monkey wearing the fedora points and laughs at you.

i have known a number of gay people in my life. almost all of them wanted the right for the financial reward. if the laws were changed so that there was not discrimination based on marital status i think they wouldn't be so adamant about marriage.
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

Yeah, nor would a whole bunch of other people. Mormons require marriage as part of their belief system, and some other belief systems require it for sanctioned sex, but the c/b ratio for those who are not religiously tied to the institution is favorable only because of the legal and financial benefits. Marriage is neither necessary nor required to form a strong personal bond, nor is it any kind of guarantee that the bond will persist, so if the bond itself is the goal, then marriage is incidental.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

the c/b ratio for those who are not religiously tied to the institution is favorable only because of the legal and financial benefits
    Do you really believe that? While I have no doubt that some people marry for financial reasons, most of my married freinds (and they're not generally religious) married for emotional reasons. Basically it was a way to express their love and the level of their commitment. I really don't think the bottom line was a motivating factor.

I think that was my problem with the Civil Partnership idea that was brought out in the UK. It gives you all the same rights and priveleges so there's no practical difference between it and marriage. The only difference (and I believe it's key) is that a marriage sounds like a romantic ideal while a civil partnership sounds like a business arrangement.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Do you folks have common law marriages across the pond?

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

No. You hear the phrase chucked around from time to time but it has no basis in law.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

This thread has me thinking you have to wonder who is leading here? The government of the countries or the church? That being said I am sure there has to be a one gay politician or two around the place?
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Personally, I didn't give a single thought to the financial situation when I got married. Bearing in mind that weddings these days are often incredibly expensive, I still don't think that I've got back through the tax system the amount that I paid for the wedding. Money had nothing to do with our decision to get married, religion had nothing to do with it (neither of us are religious) - it was, as our funky friend said, an emotional commitment. For what it's worth, I don't believe we get any tax advantages any more - they did away with the married couple's allowance years ago. In fact, in terms of taxation my wife would be better off if she divorced me.

Incidentally, statistics show that married couples with children are far less likely to separate then unmarried couples with children. I have no idea what that proves (and I can't be bothered look for any links that confirm it), but I thought I'd mention it.

As for gay mariage, well, why not? If two people love each other, they should be allowed to show that in the same way as a straight couple. I don't necessarily believe they should be able to get married in a church, as most churches still maintain an anti-gay stance and while I don't agree with it, it's their right to do so. However, the state should have no such objections.
    Indecisiveness is the key to flexibility.

www.mangojacks.com