Thread: [RESOLVED] [2005] Error - Operator '=' is not defined for type 'DBNull' and string "Null".

Addicted Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] [2005] Error - Operator '=' is not defined for type 'DBNull' and string "Null".

Operator '=' is not defined for type 'DBNull' and string "Null". Is the error I get

With this command

Code:
    If dataset.Tables(0).Rows(0).Item("Sub-Group") = "Null" Then
                Label8.Text = ("")
            Else
                Label8.Text = dataset.Tables(0).Rows(0).Item("Sub-Group")
            End If
    If the data is not null it works great. But if the data is Null I get that Error. Can anyone shed some light on the subject. Or maybe sugest a differnt way of checking.

Btw its connecting to a sql 2005 server.

thanks as always

Re: [2005] Error - Operator '=' is not defined for type 'DBNull' and string "Null".

The string "Null" is not a null value. It's a string containing four characters. If you want to determine whether a field in a DataRow contains a null value then you could do this:
    vb.net Code:
    1. If dataset.Tables(0).Rows(0).Item("Sub-Group") Is DBNull.Value Then
    That said, the DataRow class provides a method specifically for this purpose:
    vb.net Code:
    1. If dataset.Tables(0).Rows(0).IsNull("Sub-Group") Then
    Finally, it's worth noting that DBNull.ToString will return an empty string anyway. That means that, if you want to display an empty string for null values, you can simply do this:
    vb.net Code:
    1. Label8.Text = dataset.Tables(0).Rows(0).Item("Sub-Group").ToString()
    and there's no need for any If statements.

Addicted Member

Re: [2005] Error - Operator '=' is not defined for type 'DBNull' and string "Null".

I knew someone smart would know what it meant. Thanks a bunch. I am actaully have a case where I will need to do it both ways. So thanks a million.