dcsimg

Thread: VBA or VB6 or VB.NET what do i have/can I use [Solved]

Lively Member

VBA or VB6 or VB.NET what do i have/can I use [Solved]

I recently taught myself how to make a database with access and then use VBA to create some forms and stuff. I did this with Office 2003. It just works and as you will see from my question below I did not really look into what I was doing. (i suppose I learnt to run before walking)

I may do another project, but this time have my own application which simply links to a database instead of an Access VBA, but have now read about VBA and VB and VB.NET and am confused as to what I should/can use.

I am at work so must rely on software licenses for commercial purposes.
    At this stage I only have the Visual Basic Editor that comes with Office 2003 and need my end result to work on Windows XP machines.

I see (i think) at home I can use a version of Visual Studio but even if I was allowed to use this at work (which I am 99% sure I cannot) this is no good to me, or is it?

So what Visual Basic language can I use?
    My Visual Basic Editor shows VB6.5 but it looks to be some cut down version that for example does not compile to an exe........ could that be right?

I hope such a basic question is ok for this forum.
    Last edited by darbid; Aug 19th, 2008 at 12:42 AM.

Re: VBA or VB6 or VB.NET what do i have/can I use

You have office at work... so you can use VBA (as you have done)

VB and VB.Net require licences of some sort (I believe) fo the work environment. At home you can do the free download of vb.net.

If you want the vb.net or vb I would have a word with the IT dept at your work place and see what they
    a) have already
    b) are getting
    c) how likely you could get it
    d) how much (actual dosh) that has to come from a budget would be required.
    e) compatibility with current systems (I was at a place whould didn't want vb.net because you needed the framework and it clashed with an existing (business critical) system.

the part on D should cover licing, but will give you an idea of whether it would be feasible. It may be that it is feasible and possible, but you will need to provide a big document on the resource/financial savings.

Also ask them whether they have iis set up on an intranet server. ASP is a cut down of vba from access, and gets you something new to learn

Alternatively stick with Access and create many weird and wonderful systems lol and dcument them of course. You will probably find you can build some and go back to revisit an older system with new eyes. Hence the documentation for the 6 months after you've done one need to change it

BOFH Now, BOFH Past, Information on duplicates

Feeling like a fly on the inside of a closed window (Thunk!)
    If I post a lot, it is because I am bored at work! ;D Or stuck...
    * Anything I post can be only my opinion. Advice etc is up to you to persue...

You can get a FREE copy of Visual Basic 2008 (VB.NET) for use at home and work from Microsoft. Goto http://msdn.microsoft.com and search (or look for) Visual Basic Express 2008. You can create apps with it that you can freely distribute how you like - be wanred though, the only kind of installer that comes with it is the One-Click method, which doesn't necessarily work for everyone. But you could use a third party installer if youneed to.

NOTE - VB Express is the FULL .NET language... there are no hold-backs like there is between VB and VBA of old.... the only stipped down bits are in the editor itself, and that's mostly in that not all templates for the different project types are shipped. But if you are working simple apps, like with Access, then it shouldn't be a problem.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Techgnome:
    Are you sure about the 'work' for free?
    Most places I've worked in don't want to get it because of licencing issues... Or perceived issues.

If it is free I think then only thing stoipping me here is installing, as we have restriced access to do that. Could it run a non installed app on a shared server? ie compile on one machine - up to the server shared folder and anyone can run?

BOFH Now, BOFH Past, Information on duplicates

Feeling like a fly on the inside of a closed window (Thunk!)
    If I post a lot, it is because I am bored at work! ;D Or stuck...
    * Anything I post can be only my opinion. Advice etc is up to you to persue...

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

The licensing issues are "percieved" - The Express versions are free of everything.

Lively Member

Thanks guys for the info. Believe me my head is spinning with VBs and VBAs and .NET and what is still being used and supported etc. Then put on top of that what I am allowed to use.

I also am not sure about being able to use Visual Studio 2008 Express where the end result will be that I use that at work, although I cannot seem to find the terms of the VS 2008 Express license.

For me to get something done at work (IT related whether it be this special software or someone to look at license agreements) is just way tooooo much trouble. I can install anything I want but run the risk if something is not right later. Obviously I am not a programmer so I have nothing to do with these people.

So what I am thinking is I install on personal computer for learning purposes etc Visual Studio Expres 2008 and at work I use some free editor 100% clear that it is free that would do the same job as Visual Studio but just not with all the bells and whistles. Does one exist?

I do not need an installer. I taught myself autoit which works fine to install my front end mde when i used VBA.

"Does one exist?" YES - VB Express.... it's free... there are NOT LICENSING RESTRICTIONS on where you can install it, or what you can create with it. There are a number of people here that sell their wares created using VB Express.

As Hack notes, the "issues" are perceived, and necessarily real.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Lively Member

Yep and looks like my questions are over

Item 7 here http://www.microsoft.com/express/support/faq/

seem to be very easy to understand.

Frenzied Member

darbid:

The Visual Basic systems available in the MS Office applications are extremely powerful and comprehensive programming languages. I personally use Excel VBA extensively. There are some differences between Access VBA and Excel VBA. If you want to see the power of VBA, check out this book: "Professional Excel Development" by Bullen/Bovey/Green (Addison Wesley). I bought VB.Net for a project, but if I had realized the power of Excel VBA I just would have used that. I'm not saying that other resources are not better ... just that Excel VBA can take you a LONG way towards most goals.
    Blessings in abundance,
    All the Best,
    & ENJOY!

Art . . . . Carlisle, PA . . USA

If you do use Express 2008 at work keep in mind that all systems that will run your app will need at least the 2.0 version of the .NET Framework installed on their systems.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Lively Member

VBA or VB6 or VB.NET what do i have/can I use

Quote Originally Posted by Webtest
    If you want to see the power of VBA, check out this book: "Professional Excel Development" by Bullen/Bovey/Green (Addison Wesley). I bought VB.Net for a project
    Thank you webtest for helping a beginner. In my limited opinion I feel that VB.net is the "now" so I would like to at least try it.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888
    keep in mind that all systems that will run your app will need at least the 2.0 version of the .NET Framework installed on their systems.
    Yeh that was my next step. I now have an idea of "what" to use, so I am moving on to "how" to use it, including its compatability at work. It appears that v1.1, v.2.0 and v.3.0 is installed (at least a registry check shows this).

Thank you guys for your help. As this thread is not a "help darbid generally" thread I think it is now finished.