Thread: [VB 2008] Taskbar Manipulation Library

Post [VB 2008] Taskbar Manipulation Library

Good day. This happens to be my first post, but I have been trolling around on these forums for quite a while.

I'm submitting a CodeBank entry: my Taskbar Manipulation Library.

I started working on my newest project, a complete desktop replacement. The first step that I do is look around for useful code snippets on the internet. Well, I coulden't find anything good for manipulating the taskbar, so I decided to write something of my own.

Currently this library consists of two classes: General and Drawing.
    General contains the functions to "prepare" the taskbar for your destined actions. (e.g: Showing/Hiding certain parts of the taskbar)

Drawing contains one single function, but a kind of useful one: Graphics. It gives you access to the different graphics parts of the taskbar.

I added some comments in which I hope that you understand the code. All the actions are achieved by using API.

This entry also comes with a test project which demonstrates some of the functions of the library.

Currently, this has only been tested on Windows Vista (Ultimate, if it matters) so I don't really know if it would work on Windows XP. If someone with Windows XP could report what works and what doesn't, I might do some research about the differences of the XP and Vista Taskbar and rework the code.

This library is not really big but it covers the basic functions. If this code gets
    looked at/downloaded frequently I might dig deeper into the advanced functions of the taskbar and update the library.

So, I hope that you find this code useful as I've put some work in it.
    On a sidenote, I'm 16 years old and I've never had any course in school. All my knowledge is derived from online tutorials, code snippets and self-learning.

Suggestions/comments/criticism/questions are always more than welcome :-)

EDIT: Thought I'd add some more information about what it can actually do at this time / Uploaded an updated version that fixes a minor "testing purpose" mistake.

The DLL Root Namespace is set to Taskbar, which makes it easy to navigate.

Taskbar.General:

Taskbar.General.Show (Show a general handle: the taskbar, the startbutton or both)
    Taskbar.General.Hide (Hide a general handle)
    Taskbar.General.ShowChild (Show a child handle: quick launch bar, tray clock, ...)
    Taskbar.General.HideChild (Hide a child handle)
    Taskbar.General.Width (Gets the current taskbar width.)
    Taskbar.General.Height (Gets the current taskbar height.)
    Taskbar.General.Reset (Resets the taskbar)

Taskbar.Drawing:

Taskbar.Drawing.Graphics (Returns a graphics instance of the specified handle)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Andicioz; Aug 9th, 2008 at 09:53 AM.

Re: [VB 2008] Taskbar Manipulation Library

hey i cant right now..but i'll test it tomorrow...i have both Vista Ultimate, XPSP3, XPSP2...anythign else u want it tested on? i can prolly get a few more OSes when needed :-D

Lively Member

Re: [VB 2008] Taskbar Manipulation Library

thank you nice work
    How To Make A Youtube Downloader
    I use Visual Studio 2008 Pro...