Thread: [RESOLVED] [2008] Urgent:

Resolved [RESOLVED] [2008] Urgent:

Dear All,
    I was wondering if there is a way to change the icon of an executable file, written in VB 2008. This executable is located in my obj folder (C:\...\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\ABC\ABC\obj\Debug\ABC.exe). I only do want to change the icon of this LST.exe file. As far as I know it lets me create an icon but instead I prefer to upload an icon if it is possible.

I'd like to ask another question if you don't mind. I wrote a program in VB 2008. It is good but the users must have .net Framework 3.5 installed to be able to use my program, right? .net framework 3.5 is about 70mb in size and wouldn't this be a disadvantage because many users would not want to install it due to its large size and so your or my program would be useless at this point. Is it possible to write a program which would not require .NET Framework 3.5 in Visual Basic 2008 Professional? I don't think it is but just wanted to make sure...

Thanks...

Addicted Member

Re: [2008] Urgent:

I'm not sure about the icon question. I do know that the file will have to have an .ico extension to be used as an icon though.

In response to your second question, one of the great things about VS2008 is that you can target a specific framework during development. However, you will lose 3.5 fw specific functionality if you choose say, 2.0 fw.

It is my understanding that, currently, users must have the fw installed for the fw that your program is targeting (this is an issue that was brought up in the slow chat with the Visual Studio team). The easiest thing to do would be package the fw (3.5 in your case) with your app and only install it on the user's PC if they don't have it. Your program will have a much bigger install package, but at least the user won't have to go and download the fw.
    If my post helped you, please rate it!

Languages: VB/ASP.NET 2005, C# 2008,VB6
    Databases: Oracle (knowledge not currently in use), DB2

FROM Customers
    WHERE We_Know_What_We_Want <> DB.Null
    SELECT *
    0 rows returned