Thread: Number of Desktop vs. Web Developers

Number of Desktop vs. Web Developers

Here's another purely academic, opinion driven and fairly worthless question.

If you were to ask all of the professional software developers in the world: "Are you mainly a desktop developer or a web devloper?" - what would the final ratio be?

In short, how many professional developers focus on the desktop and how many on the web?

(And since I'm sure somebody was thinking of posting, "Well, some do both," note I said mainly above).

Re: Number of Desktop vs. Web Developers

Actually, most UI developers do develop both... Besides, rich/thin client UI's are only a small part of most all development. I think you'd be hard pressed to find developers who only make UIs; let alone developers who only develop UIs for 1 platform.

Right, its a combination as developers need to know both so when determining what language to use for each project they wont be limited by not knowing one and not the other.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Hyperactive Member

while in my shop i do desktop UI design, and we have a guy who does ASP UI design, the middle bits were written by both of us and are used pretty much interchangeably, he has web specific stuff and i have win specific stuff (DDLs are not combo boxes and vice versa), but the majority of the code is written in such a way as to not be platform dependent.
    --"Tap Dancing On The Brittle Edge Of Sanity"--

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! mendhak's Avatar

That's hard to figure out. A lot of desktop applications usually are internal to companies, so you can't have any idea how many are out there. Web applications get more exposure, but doesn't necessarily mean that there aren't the 'unknowns' out there either. So... 50-50?

Hyperactive Member

Highly web development. My VB skills are dismal at best. :P

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by mendhak
    That's hard to figure out. A lot of desktop applications usually are internal to companies, so you can't have any idea how many are out there. Web applications get more exposure, but doesn't necessarily mean that there aren't the 'unknowns' out there either. So... 50-50?
    all of our apps are internal, those with an ASP interface simply serve the whole campus, those that are desktop generally have a smaller audience (under 50 people) so while the "incident reporting" system is ASP, the training system is desktop, because everyone can report an "incident" (whether accident or whatever, stubbed toe etc) only 4 people put information into the training system.
    --"Tap Dancing On The Brittle Edge Of Sanity"--

I only do desktop development, never touched any ASP stuff etc
    My free .NET Windows API library (Version 2.2 Released 12/06/2011)

Blog: cjwdev.wordpress.com
    Web: www.cjwdev.co.uk

You and me both chris. <Tags> make my eyes go cross at this point. Web development is such a hodge-podge jumbled trashheap of multitudes of loose standards, I'm truly amazed at anyone who can design good looking sites that work with all browsers.
    My CodeBank Submissions: TETRIS using VB.NET2010 and XNA4.0, Strong Encryption Class, Hardware ID Information Class, Generic .NET Data Provider Class, Lambda Function Example, Lat/Long to UTM Conversion Class, Audio Class using BASS.DLL

Remember to RATE the people who helped you and mark your forum RESOLVED when you're done!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. "
    - Albert Einstein

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! mendhak's Avatar

That's the entire beauty of it! To bring together these disparate technologies created by self-ordained standard bodies consisting of consistently bickering members who cannot agree on anything in a way that gives the user absolutely no idea of the grief behind it all.

Quote Originally Posted by mendhak
    That's the entire beauty of it! To bring together these disparate technologies created by self-ordained standard bodies consisting of consistently bickering members who cannot agree on anything in a way that gives the user absolutely no idea of the grief behind it all.
    Oh so you are talking about web development

Eventually it will all merge into one. Same app can be run locally on the desktop and also in a browser.
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

I am studying web development.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888
    Eventually it will all merge into one. Same app can be run locally on the desktop and also in a browser.
    Thus, either browsers will become Remote Desktop clients letting every script-kiddie HaXX0rz into the machine,

or

all desktop applications will start looking and behaving differently depending on your installed software, patches, patches to patches, video hardware, drive space, monitor resolution, printer brand, price of oil and phase of the moon; and require ten times the computing power to run what a Commodore 64 could do flawlessly.

My CodeBank Submissions: TETRIS using VB.NET2010 and XNA4.0, Strong Encryption Class, Hardware ID Information Class, Generic .NET Data Provider Class, Lambda Function Example, Lat/Long to UTM Conversion Class, Audio Class using BASS.DLL

Remember to RATE the people who helped you and mark your forum RESOLVED when you're done!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. "
    - Albert Einstein

Yea, I'm not too happy about it if they do merge them all because then it will be harder to code, things will be more universal which means more arguments perhaps for ex., but deployment will be easier though.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Quote Originally Posted by Jenner
    Thus, either browsers will become Remote Desktop clients letting every script-kiddie HaXX0rz into the machine,

or

all desktop applications will start looking and behaving differently depending on your installed software, patches, patches to patches, video hardware, drive space, monitor resolution, printer brand, price of oil and phase of the moon; and require ten times the computing power to run what a Commodore 64 could do flawlessly.

Oh please, let's not be dramatic about it.... be realistic... the phase of the moon won't affect anything.... it's the tidal forces that will affec things. Nothing will work at high or low tide, but in between, that's when things will work.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888

All our desktop apps are run through Citrix, which makes deployment a breeze.

Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome
    Oh please, let's not be dramatic about it.... be realistic... the phase of the moon won't affect anything.... it's the tidal forces that will affec things. Nothing will work at high or low tide, but in between, that's when things will work.

-tg

You're right, I tend to over-react to such things. Last week, our web system went down and I blamed Ganymede crossing Jupiter. Found out later it was just the cosmic-ray activity exceeded 7000 neutron counts / min again...

- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Jenner
    You're right, I tend to over-react to such things. Last week, our web system went down and I blamed Ganymede crossing Jupiter. Found out later it was just the cosmic-ray activity exceeded 7000 neutron counts / min again...
    vb.net Code:
    1. Try
    3. Catch ex as PhysicalCosmologyException
    5. End Try

a lot of chit chat in a technical thread

i do mostly web development. When i am bored i will do either vb.net or vb5
    My usual boring signature: Something

I'm about to be a PowerPoster!

The vast majority of development isn't either desktop or web development. The interface is only a small part of a well-architected solution; the core logic can be used in any manner.

A slightly better — but still worthless — question to ask would be, "Do you develop mainly stand-alone or server–client applications?" At a guess, I'd say the vast majority of solutions use some form of a server–client architecture.