Thread: code security

Question code security

Hi,

I need a program which invisible my source code to others. if i covert into .EXE or .DLL, others crack my program by using vbdecomplier.

Mainly i dont allow others to see my program in visual basic 6.

Regards

selva
    Last edited by selvakumarmvs; Jul 21st, 2008 at 07:21 AM.

Re: conv date into double

Do you even know what you're trying? Doubles store high-precision floating point values, and dates store dates. The two values are incompatible. You can, however, convert dates to strings and vice versa, if the formatting is accurate.

VB6, XHTML & CSS hobbyist Merri's Avatar

Re: conv date into double

I'm not sure if this is serious thread or not, considering where this is, but I'll go with a serious reply anyway :P
    Code:
    Dim dtmDate As Date, dblDate As Double

dtmDate = Now
    Debug.Print dtmDate
    dblDate = dtmDate
    Debug.Print CDate(dblDate)
    Bitwise everything stays the same in both dtmDate and dblDate. It is just how they are handled when coercing to strings that makes the real difference.

Re: code security

Quote Originally Posted by selvakumarmvs
    Hi,

I need a program which invisible my source code to others. if i covert into .EXE or .DLL, others crack my program by using vbdecomplier.

Regards

selva
    It seems the original post has been edited severly since the two posts, because they don't make any sense...

To answer the question:
    Visual Studio.NET comes with obfuscator software, which makes it harder to decompile software, but not impossible.
    I don't know of any software for Visual Basic 6.

Just coding in visual studio.NET makes it harder already...
    (Visual Studio.NET Express Editions are free)
    I code C#....

VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.
    Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Cry, and you just water down your vodka.

Take credit, not responsibility

Hi,

Regards

selva
    OK, thanks for making the first two posters like idiots, I'm sure they appreciate it. Lastly, a word of advice, there is no such thing as being 100% "Hidden" .... if some one is determined to get to your code, they will find a away. That said, in VB6, once the code is compiled, it's pretty much obfuscated... even with a decompiler, they can't get back to the exact original code.... it'll be a jumble of code that may or may not do what the code did, but, there's not a lot you can do about it. If some one is determined to get to it, they will find a way.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! kleinma's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vbcode1980
    Just coding in visual studio.NET makes it harder already...
    (Visual Studio.NET Express Editions are free)
    Not sure what this statement means, but it is actually HARDER to decompile VB6 compiled code than .NET compiled code, even if the .NET code is obfuscated.

Hi,

Regards

selva
    The truth is, is that if someone wants to reverse engineer your program, they can do it without the source code. Once compiled, the original source code; user space variable and function names and class names will be gone. The logic flow of the code will also likely change to include optimizations, linking code etc.

Once you have "decompiled" code it will resemble only a slightly more readable form than the machine code which formed the executable. That said, it is possible to copy a program and its functionality with no source code at all. That means any efforts to obfuscate your code will only deter the amateurs. The pro's, if they want to copy it WILL.

Think of it like a steering wheel lock.
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || Click || Slap ILMV || 1337 c0d || GotoMyPc For FREE! Part 1, Part 2

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax * Xslt | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Latest quote: crptcblade - VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.

Random VisualAd: Blog - Latest Post: When the Internet becomes Electricity!!

Spread happiness and joy. Rate good posts.

You really need to weigh how long it would take someone to crack your program, versus how long it would take someone who COULD crack your program, to simply write a program to do the same thing your app does.

Quote Originally Posted by crptcblade
    VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.
    And this beauty goes straight into my signature.
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || Click || Slap ILMV || 1337 c0d || GotoMyPc For FREE! Part 1, Part 2

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax * Xslt | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Latest quote: crptcblade - VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.

Random VisualAd: Blog - Latest Post: When the Internet becomes Electricity!!

Spread happiness and joy. Rate good posts.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! mendhak's Avatar

Moving to VB6 forum.

Hi,

Regards

selva
    All I can say is that if your program were copied without proper authorization from you, then that I can say that is stealing. Have the others tried asking your permission for the code or the program? The only solution I can see here is to hide your program...

But if they did ask your permission for the program or the code and you rejected them, surely that is being selfish and they're gonna steal your codes away from you...

Just choose from the two options which you will feel better...

Quote Originally Posted by crptcblade

Actually, the guys from VB-Decompiler claim they can get pretty usefull stuff out of your VB application.

http://www.vb-decompiler.org/
    I code C#....

Quote Originally Posted by kleinma
    Not sure what this statement means, but it is actually HARDER to decompile VB6 compiled code than .NET compiled code, even if the .NET code is obfuscated.
    Really? Damn, my professor lied to me!
    I code C#....

If you use a compression tool to compress your .exe with UPX or PECompact for example, then vb-decompiler cant even open the .exe and that also makes your file size very small which is always usefull. : )

----If this post has helped you. Please take time to Rate it.
    ----If you've solved your problem, then please mark it as RESOLVED from Thread Tools.

There is a software named VB AntiCrack. It will make changes to your project by converting all the strings into an unreadable form which we will not be able to see the direct strings when we decompile the program using VBDecompiler..

But unfortunately, when I used that thing, my program doesn't worked..

If my post was helpful to you, then express your gratitude using Rate this Post.
    And if your problem is SOLVED, then please Mark the Thread as RESOLVED (see it in action - video)
    My system: AMD FX 6100, Gigabyte Motherboard, 8 GB Crossair Vengance, Cooler Master 450W Thunder PSU, 1.4 TB HDD, 18.5" TFT(Wide), Antec V1 Cabinet

Social Group: VBForums - Developers from India

Skills: PHP, MySQL, jQuery, VB.Net, Photoshop, CodeIgniter, Bootstrap,...

Quote Originally Posted by vbcode1980
    Really? Damn, my professor lied to me!
    Your VB.NET code gets compiled to IL, which is in between human readable syntax, and machine code (IL = Intermediate Language). Many people can read and follow IL code without too much problem. It is still structured in a way that you can read it. Also there are many apps that convert IL back to high level syntax.

VB6 code is compiled natively. Both compile strings directly into the exe, so an app from either language could be opened in something like notepad, and you could find strings like connection strings to a database with password perhaps, etc..

There are some obfuscators for both VB6 and .NET that do things like string encryption. Of course you could also implement your own encryption and not store your sensitive strings in plain text in the application.

Bottom line is it is important to evaluate just how badly you need to protect you app, and in which way. I personally was more worried about creating custom controls and librarys as DLLs to include with my exe, only to know that the DLLs could just be referenced by any other .NET exe and used. I spent my time developing a way to stop that from happening, versus worrying about making my app copy proof. As I said before, unless your app is revolutionary, anyone with the skills to decompile it and steal your code, could probably just write the app (better) themselves in less time...