Thread: [RESOLVED] Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 - Where to buy?

Hyperactive Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 - Where to buy?

Strange question, but do you know if Microsoft still sell licenced copies of Visual Studio 6.0, or where can I get hold of a cheap copy? (excluding Ebay as you never know if your getting a legit copy)

A friend of mine working for another company needs one as he's updating some vb6 code and needs a licence. They do have one licence there, but that’s being used by another developer for another project so it can’t be shared.

ps. (Can find a copy on Amazon for £100 ish, but was hoping to get it cheaper elsewhere, or somewhere within Microsoft's website for free, as its getting on a bit)

Re: Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 - Where to buy?

Microsoft stopped selling it several years ago (support, which had been extended, ended earlier this year).

Places like eBay/Amazon are your best bet, and £100 is a good price - a legitimate version tends to go for about £150 these days (or £300+ from shops that still have stock).

In terms of being legal, the important thing is the piece of paper which has a title like "End User Licence Agreement. Licences: 1".

Hyperactive Member

Yeah, just though with Microsoft ending its support recently, there might be plans to give it away for free. (like they have done in the past with some of the old Windows operating systems)

I think my friend will end up going with the Amazon option.

I highly doubt they will give away copies for free. They more then likely wouldnt want to hurt all the work they have done trying to have .NET overtake VB 6.

Its just best to make the switch to vb.net and be a part of the 21st century (the Express .net editions are free)

Thread Moved
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Hyperactive Member

Yeah Rob, that would make sense. It’s a pity my friend cannot upgrade it to .NET as I believe they do have .NET 2005, with SQL Server 2005.

It probably because it’s one of those legacy systems that would cost too much to upgrade… or there is no or little documentation around for it!

When 2002/2003 came out I do believe they had a downgrade license but its been 5+ years now so not sure if they still have something. You should really call MS and ask as its a free call and doesnt hurt to ask.
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Hyperactive Member

Thanks i'll pass on the info about the potential downgrade.

Re: [RESOLVED] Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 - Where to buy?

You really should look into using VB.NET instead. You can download VB Express for free and be up on current technology instead of learning a 11+ year old version.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Hyperactive Member

He's using .Net with other projects Rob, but this particular one requires VB6.

Lively Member

Just look for a license somewhere. I have bought licenses through various places (ebay included) for software without the actual software. Do a search for Visual Studio license and see what you come up with. You could install with another copy of the disk as long as you have a valid license for the additional use. If you can find someone selling just the license (a piece of fancy paper), you could probably get it for $20 - $30.

I would be careful with that approach and verify any purchased license with MS.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Hyperactive Member

Yeah... there were a few cheap ones on ebay, but as its for a company, my friend cant run the risk that the licence might be already in use.

if they give you the official paper, then you're the one with the license. It's like a car title. If they continue to use their program after that, then they are the ones not in compliance. Although there may in fact be something in the EULA about it not being transferrable.
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell

Quote Originally Posted by kevchadders
    Yeah... there were a few cheap ones on ebay, but as its for a company, my friend cant run the risk that the licence might be already in use.
    If they cant run the risk then their best option is to download VB Express 2008 for free and start in on writting the .NET version instead.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011