Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPS Class that maps Lat/Long to UTM Coordinates (WGS84 and others)

GPS Class that maps Lat/Long to UTM Coordinates (WGS84 and others)

A class for calculating between Latitude/Longitude and Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM) coordinates which accurate maps like to use. It will reverse calculate as well.

You can set the class to use one of various datum ellipsoids such as WGS84, NAD83 and several others. The numbers programmed for each ellipsoid aren't the most accurate, but they can be easily modified to suit tastes. Currently, the error produced seems to be within a meter or so.

Here is the class: GPS.vb

Here's how to use it from Lat/Long in decimal coordinates (+ = N/E, - = S/W):
    Code:
            Dim lat As New GPS.Coordinate(myDecimalLatitude, GPS.CoordinateType.Latitude)
            Dim lng As New GPS.Coordinate(myDecimalLongitude, GPS.CoordinateType.Longitude)
            Dim utm As New GPS.UTM(lat, lng)

Me.txtNorthing.Text = utm.Northing.ToString
            Me.txtEasting.Text = utm.Easting.ToString
            Me.txtZone.Text = utm.Zone.ToString
            Me.cmbHemisphere.Text = If(utm.UTMLatitudeHemisphere = GPS.UTMLat.North, "N", "S")
    Here's how to use it in the opposite direction. You need 4 pieces of info, Northing (m), Easting (m), Zone and whether it's N or S hemisphere (default is North):
    Code:
            Dim utm As New GPS.UTM(myNorthing, myEasting, myZone)
            utm.UTMLatitudeHemisphere = GPS.UTMLat.North

Me.txtLatitude.Text = utm.Latitude.ToString
            Me.txtLongitude.Text = utm.Longitude.ToString
    All equations and figures taken from an Excel spreadsheet example written by Professor Steven Dutch, of University of Wisconsin-Green Bay and is primarily ripped from the 1973 U. S. Army Technical Manual on the Universal Transverse Mercator Grid. I only take credit for turning it into a VB.NET 2008 Class

EDIT: I found a bug in the code that was flipping the sign of the Longitude during the UTM to Lat/Long conversion. New file uploaded with the fix.
    Last edited by Jenner; Oct 15th, 2009 at 09:09 AM.
    My CodeBank Submissions: TETRIS using VB.NET2010 and XNA4.0, Strong Encryption Class, Hardware ID Information Class, Generic .NET Data Provider Class, Lambda Function Example, Lat/Long to UTM Conversion Class, Audio Class using BASS.DLL

Remember to RATE the people who helped you and mark your forum RESOLVED when you're done!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. "
    - Albert Einstein

Re: GPS Class that maps Lat/Long to UTM Coordinates (WGS84 and others)

Hi i have a UTM coordinates like this x = 520825 , y = 2869270
    How i can convert this coordinates to Latitude/Longitude? , my zone is 14 and Hemisphere is North.

Regards
    Isaias

That would be the second example I posted above. Sorry, I noticed the variable names were still listed as "Latitude" and "Longitude" and not "Northing" and "Easting".

But just make a new object, give it the 4 peices of information and read the latitude and longitude from it. It does the conversion as you change the data.
    My CodeBank Submissions: TETRIS using VB.NET2010 and XNA4.0, Strong Encryption Class, Hardware ID Information Class, Generic .NET Data Provider Class, Lambda Function Example, Lat/Long to UTM Conversion Class, Audio Class using BASS.DLL

Remember to RATE the people who helped you and mark your forum RESOLVED when you're done!

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. "
    - Albert Einstein

i get 'Truncate' is not a member of 'System.Math'

any ideas??

Hi,
    I’m working with data downloaded from a gps device, using vb2008 express I can open a file, load this into an array and extract the required lat long co-ordinates. I now need to convert these to utm so that I can do some basic trig to calculate distances.
    Your class seems ideal for the next step but as I'm only at the stage of creating basic programs I need some help to get the data from the array processed by the class and extract the utm data at the end.
    I’m just doing this for fun, in connection with my other hobby, paragliding, any help or direction as to where to get more info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Chris

Get your numbers from the array. You should have a Lat and a Long number. Then just follow my example above. Put those numbers in the myDecimalLatitude and myDecimalLongitude spots in that example. For example, if you had Lat: 51.6702014 Long: -76.1103928, you'd do this (remember, negative coordinates indicate South latitudes and West longitudes):

Code:
            Dim myDecimalLatitude = 51.6702014 
            Dim myDecimalLongitude = -76.1103928

'The results are instantly calculated and available:
            Me.txtNorthing.Text = utm.Northing.ToString
            Me.txtEasting.Text = utm.Easting.ToString
            Me.txtZone.Text = utm.Zone.ToString
            Me.cmbHemisphere.Text = If(utm.UTMLatitudeHemisphere = GPS.UTMLat.North, "N", "S")

- Albert Einstein

thank you for your help with this, I still have some work to do on processing the data form the array but I am making progress with this. I can now see how the class works and think it is brilliant. I have tested the accuracy, at home here in Northumberland, UK, it is accurate to under 1 meter.
    Again, many thanks for your help.
    Chris

I'd say less than 1 meter is pretty good for most needs.

I think this class can be implemented a little better, but I honestly haven't had the time to do it.

- Albert Einstein

Frenzied Member

what do I have to import o get GPS working?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by kiwis View Post
    what do I have to import o get GPS working?
    Have you added the GPS.vb source file to your project? If not then how is the project supposed to know the GPS class exists?

Frenzied Member

I thought I had but clearly not.

What errors are you getting exactly, because looking at your screenshot, it looks like you have the GPS class on the tab behind the Form1 object.

- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Jenner View Post
    What errors are you getting exactly, because looking at your screenshot, it looks like you have the GPS class on the tab behind the Form1 object.
    Having the file open in VS doesn't mean it's part of the project. If you already have VS open and you download a VB file it will be opened in the same VS window, but it's not added to the project automatically.

True, hadn't thought of that. You can always "view" .vb files in the editor, it doesn't mean they've been added to your solution. He copy-pasted my code example in the global area of his class object as well. It needs to be inside a subroutine or a function block like all other non-defining code.

- Albert Einstein

Frenzied Member

How can I place these coordinates on a map?
    Last edited by kiwis; Oct 20th, 2009 at 02:08 AM.

You just need a proper map that has UTM alignment information from what I understand. It'll have a grid of Northing and Easting on it with UTM coordinates; as opposed to a map with Lat and Long projections.

- Albert Einstein

Frenzied Member

I can not seem to find a world map :-(

Frenzied Member

The other option is I convert the northing value into pixels. So if there is 80° S latitude and 84° N then there is 164 in total start from the bottom. If my map was 492px high and I wanted to find something at 76S I would go 12 pixels high. 3 times.

Only problem is this would be way out unless I made the 164 the true value as such, how many meters is it between 80 and 79??

Right, at this point, your problem seems to be one of conversion between real-world coordinates and what is displayed on the screen.

- Albert Einstein

Frenzied Member

Yes. I want to be able to convert long and lat coord's onto a world map displayed in front of me on my screen

I downloaded the file GPS.VB and loaded into VB.net. Using UTM to Lat/Lon, the Longitude that is returned is always 0.

You mentioned in one of the post that the code had an error. Could you Please post the corrected code?

Thanks

The error was fixed and posted long ago. The only error found in the code that has not been fixed in the download is an insignificant math error in the arc second calculation that makes the number off at most 1 inch at the equator. If you want to fix that, then just change this line in the object:

Code:
                Dim e0 As Double = (315 * a * n ^ 4 / 51) * (1 - n)
    to this:

Code:
                Dim e0 As Double = (315 * a * n ^ 4 / 512) * (1 - n)
    Are you instancing the class properly? Are you specifying the zone, northing, easting and hemisphere? You need all four pieces of information to convert from UTM to Lat/Long. See my example above.

- Albert Einstein

Thanks for the reply:
    I am basicly taking a lat/lon and passing it to the LL To UTM converter then taking that result and passing it to the UTM to LL Converter.

Here is what I do:
    Private Sub Button2_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click
    LLToUTM(31.5, 91.5)

End Sub

Public Sub LLToUTM(ByVal myDecimalLatitude As Single, ByVal myDecimalLongitude As Single)
    Dim txtNorthing As String
    Dim txtEasting As String
    Dim txtzone As String
    Dim cmbhemisphere As String

txtNorthing = utm.Northing.ToString '<<-This is 3485991.16655783
    txtEasting = utm.Easting.ToString '<<-This is 357546.073706798
    txtzone = utm.Zone.ToString ' <<-This is 46
    cmbhemisphere = If(utm.UTMLatitudeHemisphere = GPS.UTMLat.North, "N", "S") 'N
    TUMToLL(utm.Northing, utm.Easting, utm.UTMLatitudeHemisphere)
    End Sub

Public Sub TUMToLL(ByVal MyNorthing As Single, ByVal myEasting As Single, ByVal myzone As String)
    Dim txtLatitude As String
    Dim txtLongitude As String
    Dim utm As New GPS.UTM(myNorthing, myEasting, myZone)

txtLatitude = utm.Latitude.ToString '<<-This is 31° 29' 59.989" North
    txtLongitude = utm.Longitude.ToString '<<-This is '0° 0' 0.000" North
    End Sub

The Longitue is returning a NORTH value.

I downloaded the GPS.VB from the top if this post.

Thanks again

Well....as soon as i sent the previous reply...I saw my error. I sent the wrong parameter for the ZONE.

Thanks It works GREAT

Jenner
    Your class works great...Thanks
    But, I do have a question for you.

Since the Easting and Northing returns values from their ZONES. How can I calculate a value such as distance from two points in two different Zones?

Thanks again

The only way would be to convert the WGS coordinates to Lat/Long and perform a Great Circle calculation to get the arc length between them.

- Albert Einstein

Hi Gary,
    You could use the Haversine formula, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haversine_formula
    This calculates distance between two lat/long positions based on the earth as a perfect sphere; it gives an accuracy of about 0.3&#37; and is not too difficult to understand and code. The more complex Versine formula uses a model that can be based on a map datum such as wgs84 and is more accurate - but I couldn’t figure out how to code this, perhaps someone more able might have a go.
    cheers
    chris

Addicted Member

Hi
    how to get my zone value?
    if i have those values
    lat=49.568511
    lon=27.104216
    what will be the code to convert them to N,E ?
    i try this code
    http://www.vbforums.com/showpost.php...59&postcount=1
    but it gives me wrong values !!
    what will be te right code?

thanks in advance.

If it gives you the wrong values, then you're using it wrong.

It works perfectly:

Name:  GPSWorks.gif
Views: 27611
Size:  250.9 KB

- Albert Einstein

Addicted Member

thanks for reply

yea right this result also for me
    Northing=5490662.87262606
    Easting=507535.487639871
    Zone=35
    Hemisphere=N

BUT when im in Google earth and i convert from lat and Lon to N,E from options it gives me
    27&#176; 6.253 N
    49&#176; 34.111 E

so how to make it like Google result

Hi,

thanks for you great class! But it doesn&#180;t work for me...

I&#180;ve

UTM in Format
    32N

and I need to get WGS84 in this format

!

But when I start this code
    Code:
            Dim utm As New GPS.UTM(5656482.0, 32337666.0, 32)

Label6.Text = utm.Latitude.ToString
            Label7.Text = utm.Longitude.ToString
    I get
    0&#176; 0' 0,000" North
    0&#176; 0' 0,000" North
    as result!!!

Greets

Byte

That's because your data is bad. How do you have numbers in the 32 million and 5 million range? If you put your numbers in any online converter you'll see some crazy funny-number results like a Lat of 520 degrees.

- Albert Einstein

Hi,

I get the data from a address-database!
    What do you mean, my data is crazy?

Do you think it isn&#180;t UTM ?

ATENTION:

on Site http://www.ipf.uni-karlsruhe.de/cgi-bin/trafo.tcl
    UTM 32 WGS84 -> Gauss-Krueger Nr.2/6 Grad (West-D)

WORKS FINE !!!!!! But theres no source
    Need help, please....

Greets

Byte
    Last edited by Bytechanger; Mar 11th, 2010 at 02:17 AM.

Alright, I figured it out. This is such a stupid notation.
    Take your data:
    32N

The first number is a combination of the Zone and the Easting: 32337666 You want to remove the Zone numbers before converting. They're always the first two. This is apparently a standard notation used by the Germans.
    So, put THESE numbers into the converter:
    Northing: 5656482
    Easting: 337666
    Zone: 32
    Hemisphere: N

Of course, you can always edit the converter to accept that notation as the standard input and strip the zone off then.
    Last edited by Jenner; Mar 12th, 2010 at 08:54 AM.

- Albert Einstein

Any chance you have the code for C#. I tried a bunch of converters but code would not compile. What imports ("using" in C# to I need).

Cam

It's really simplistic code from a conversion standpoint. There's no events or event handlers, no fancy VB tricks. Just some basic constructors and math.

Of course, you could always take up VB.NET.

- Albert Einstein

Hello Jenner,

I finally manged to get it to compile in C#. Not as straightforward as I had hoped.

Another thing that I noticed is the follwong line:
    double sin1 = Math.PI / (180 * 3600); warning CS0219: The variable 'sin1' is assigned but its value is never used.

Is this important or maybe it is just for testing?

Cam

It doesn't surprise me. The equation set I used was simplified for slide-rule and table calculation and some terms were used in more than one figuring.

- Albert Einstein

After compiling and using the code in C# I have tried to convert the coordinates from a user click on my Web Mapping Application. My coordinates are in UTM Zone 10.

Sample coords are: 510472 E and 5440699 N.
    This gives results of 48.97625305 and -122.8564619 which is many miles to the south of where I want. I want to be able to zoom to google maps based on the user click.

maybe something happened when I convert to C#.

Jenner using the vb code what lat/long do you get for the above coords.

Cameron

I get: 49.119 lat, -122.856 long (assuming north hemisphere)

Yea, check the math in the latitude conversion.

- Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast