Thread: [Resolved] Compiler Directives

[Resolved] Compiler Directives

I am using VB6 SP6, and I am wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to conditionally declare an API depending on which OS you happen to be running.

I have seen compiler directives placed in the general declarations area of a form that is platform specific, but they seem to differentiate between 32 bit and 16 bit platforms, and not between an OS like XP versus Vista. I would like to include a delcaration for one OS, but exclude it in another. Any ideas?

If have been unclear about compiler directives, they look like this in VB6:
    Code:
    #If Win32 Then 
        Private Declare Function ShellExecute Lib "shell32.dll" Alias "ShellExecuteA" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal lpOperation As String, ByVal lpFile As String, ByVal lpParameters As String, ByVal lpDirectory As String, ByVal nShowCmd As Long) As Long
    #End If
    Last edited by Quiver318; Apr 18th, 2009 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Closing Thread

Frenzied Member

Re: Compiler Directives

>Any Ideas

Nope!

However, you could code your program to look for which OS version and based upon that execute optional code.

Good Luck
    Option Explicit should not be an Option!

PowerPoster

The only built-in conditional compilation constants are Win16, Win32, and Vba6.

You can make up your own though, like WinXP, WinVista. Then you set these in the Project Properties dialog or on the VB6.EXE command line to compile different versions.

Thanks for the feedback, you two. It is apprecited.

Addicted Member

Re: [Resolved] Compiler Directives

You can declare both API functions. Nothing will happen until one (or both) is executed.
    The compiler doesn't do any check on the existence of the function or the dll file.

I, for example, have declared an API function twice; one for XP and one for Vista. They are almost identical. One argument is different.
    I check the OS version and call the appropriate function.

This is good, because you can declare anything you want as an API function, even if it doesn't exist.

Re: [Resolved] Compiler Directives

Thanks, Cube. That is a very interesting tip!