Thread: PowerPoint Macro Recording?

Hyperactive Member

Re: [FAQ's: OD] How do I record a macro?

any way to do this in PowerPoint 2007?

Split from FAQ item - http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=402032

AFAIK, there is no way to record a macro in PowerPoint but if there is something you need code help with, just post the question as we may be able to help you with it.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Lively Member

Re: PowerPoint Macro Recording?

You can in fact record macros in PowerPoint - I will tell you that it is not as extensive and easy to update as macros in Word, but you can do it. I use Office 2003 and have been automating Office 2003 through VB 6.0 for 5 years now. For new procedures I start with a recorded macro and then expand on it.

I found a great document on the web that is a crosswalk of PowerPoint commands from Office 2003 and their new location in Office 2007 -- I have not made the move to 2007 yet (work has not, probably will next year). Macros are still available in PowerPoint 2007.

Look at this document, page 24 for the new location of the command for recording a macro in PowerPoint:

http://transition.gmu.edu/crosswalk/...0Crosswalk.pdf

Good luck!

Discovering Life Siddharth Rout's Avatar

The macro recorder is not available in Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007. Instead, you can use Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) to create or edit macros. To create or edit a macro by using Visual Basic for Applications, do the following:

On the Developer tab, in the Code group, click Macros.

You can show the Developer tab if it is not available.

In the Macro dialog box, in the Macro name box, type a name for the macro.
    In the Macro in list, click the template or the presentation that you want to store the macro in. In the Description box, type a description for the macro.

Click Create to open Visual Basic for Applications.

Note If you created a macro in a version of PowerPoint earlier than Office PowerPoint 2007 by using the macro reader, use Visual Basic for Applications to edit the macro.

Note: One site does say that you can record a macro by accessing the "macros group" in powerpoint 2007 but I haven't yet tried it...

Hope this helps...
    A good exercise for the Heart is to bend down and help another up...
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved

MyGear:
    ★ CPU ★ Ryzen 5 5800X
    ★ GPU ★ NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 TI Founder Edition
    ★ RAM ★ G. Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB 3600MHz
    ★ MB ★ ASUS TUF GAMING X570 (WI-FI) ATX Gaming
    ★ Storage ★ SSD SB-ROCKET-1TB + SEAGATE 2TB Barracuda IHD
    ★ Cooling ★ NOCTUA NH-D15 CHROMAX BLACK 140mm + 10 of Noctua NF-F12 PWM
    ★ PSU ★ ANTEC HCG-1000-EXTREME 1000 Watt 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular PSU
    ★ Case ★ LIAN LI PC-O11 DYNAMIC XL ROG (BLACK) (G99.O11DXL-X)
    ★ Monitor ★ LG Ultragear 27" 240Hz Gaming Monitor
    ★ Keyboard ★ TVS Electronics Gold Keyboard
    ★ Mouse ★ Logitech G502 Hero

I dont see a "Macros Group" and there shouldnt still be a way to record. Sure you can write your won but I havent seen anything on recording.
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888
    I dont see a "Macros Group" and there shouldnt still be a way to record. Sure you can write your won but I havent seen anything on recording.
    Hi Rob, even I agree that you cannot record a macro but at the same time I also just pointed towards a site which claims that you can. I wonder how do they do it

MyGear:
    ★ CPU ★ Ryzen 5 5800X

Oh I know you know but I didnt see where they were claiming that?

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Quote Originally Posted by A441OTA
    You can in fact record macros in PowerPoint - I will tell you that it is not as extensive and easy to update as macros in Word, but you can do it. I use Office 2003 and have been automating Office 2003 through VB 6.0 for 5 years now. For new procedures I start with a recorded macro and then expand on it.

I found a great document on the web that is a crosswalk of PowerPoint commands from Office 2003 and their new location in Office 2007 -- I have not made the move to 2007 yet (work has not, probably will next year). Macros are still available in PowerPoint 2007.

Look at this document, page 24 for the new location of the command for recording a macro in PowerPoint:

http://transition.gmu.edu/crosswalk/...0Crosswalk.pdf

Good luck!
    Only a person with 5 years of automating can record a macro in PowerPoint 2007. People with more than 10 years cannot do it.

The set of 4 Crosswalk pdf files are great for moving from Office 2003 to Office 2007.
    But if you look closely you will see that the ribbon image on page 24 of PowerPoint 2007 Crosswalk.pdf file is a fake one, that is the ribbon of Excel 2007.

There is no Macro Recorder in PowerPoint-2007: See "What happened to the macro recorder?" from Microsoft.
    • Don't forget to use [CODE]your code here[/CODE] when posting code
    • If your question was answered please use Thread Tools to mark your thread [RESOLVED]
    • Don't forget to RATE helpful posts

• Baby Steps a guided tour
    • IsDigits() and IsNumber() functions • Wichmann-Hill Random() function • >> and << functions for VB • CopyFileByChunk

Thanks for the link to back us up on not being able to record macros in 07

PP does not have a Data tab or a Formula tab as shown in that image.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Oh I know you know but I didnt see where they were claiming that?
    Click on that link and press Control F and search for the word "macro". It will take you to a portion where it says it can

MyGear:
    ★ CPU ★ Ryzen 5 5800X

Yea I had a second more closer look and realized like Anhn that it was not a picture of PowerPoints ribben bar but Excels.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

AFAIK, there is no way to record a macro in PowerPoint

Oh yes there is. And its very simple.

Word and Excel allow you to kick off the Macro Recorder by choosing Macros on the View tab and then clicking the Record Macros menu. The Macro Recorder exists in PowerPoint 2007 as well, but the command to start and stop the recorder has been inexplicably left off the View and Developer tabs. To record a PowerPoint macro, use the legacy keyboard commands Alt+T, M, R to start, (Tools - Macro - Record) and use the same keyboard combination to stop recording.

In theory, when you turn on the macro recorder, VBA "watches" as you perform some action or series of actions. When you turn off the recorder, you can replay the resulting recorded macro to replicate that series of actions.

Try it out!!

Did it work for you RobDog888??

Last edited by anhn; Sep 5th, 2008 at 05:23 PM.
    • Don't forget to use [CODE]your code here[/CODE] when posting code
    • If your question was answered please use Thread Tools to mark your thread [RESOLVED]
    • Don't forget to RATE helpful posts

• Baby Steps a guided tour
    • IsDigits() and IsNumber() functions • Wichmann-Hill Random() function • >> and << functions for VB • CopyFileByChunk

@brian08, You may not want to plagerize content without stating/linking the source.

No, it doesnt record simple keystrokes, at least for me typing in a title and description, and produced a blank procedure. If it works its i"in theory" but should have at least recorded simple keystrokes.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

I also tried the keystroke recorder and only got a blank module...any ideas on how to get the name of the placeholders on the slidemaster in 2007? I have a macro that calls the placeholders in PP2003 but they have changed.

The keystrokes above looked like they were going to work but nothing happened.

This is so profoundly upsetting. I was forced to pay to upgrade to 2007 due to incompatibility issues with those purchasing the latest office (OEM) around me, and yet the "upgrade" is less powerful than the software I was forced to relinquish (office 2000).

How do the people at Microsoft feel about this? Can they sleep at night?

I have been trying this
    http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/vbasamples.html
    but for some reason the macro is not created.

I am looking to create a macro which is able to do these steps in order (We will say I have 10 slides in my presentation named: {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, and 10}):

I want when a button (button 1 on slide 2) is pressed to play slides 6, 4, and 5
    For a duration of a video on each slide
    Then go back to slide 2

How would I accomplish this?

I have an e-mail on my profile please feel free to hit me up.