Thread: [2005] File/Email DragDrop

[2005] File/Email DragDrop

I searched high and low for a way in VB.NET to be able to drag and drop Outlook emails onto a control or form. The closest thing I could find was written in C# and posted by FabioPoroli.

What I did is convert the code to VB.NET and modify it to work with any control or a form. (The original code created a custom control to capture the dropped items.)

The only known issue is when you drop multiple files from the file system it will only grab the first file. (I'm still trying to resolve this problem any help would be greatly appreciated.)

The code is attached in the Zip file and below is how to implement the code.

VB.NET Code:
    1. Public Class Form1
    2.     Private WithEvents clsDropProcess As DragDropProcess.DragDropProcess  'This is so we can handle the drop event
    4.     Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
    5.         Me.ListBox1.AllowDrop = True 'You have to set AllowDrop on the control you wish to use to [i]True[/i]
    6.         clsDropProcess = New DragDropProcess.DragDropProcess(ListBox1) 'Create a new instance of the class and pass the control that you want to allow files to be dropped on
    7.         AddHandler clsDropProcess.DroppedByteArrayAvailable, AddressOf DropEvent 'Add a handler to get the files/emails that have been dropped
    8.     End Sub
    10.     Public Sub DropEvent(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal filename As String, ByVal bytes As Byte()) 'This is the event that will fire for each file/email that is dropped.
    11.         'Add code to do whatever you want with the file.
    12.     End Sub
    13. End Class

I hope everyone finds this as useful as I have.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Helpful Links:
    VB 6 - How to get the "Key" Value in a collection
    VB.NET - File Search Utility || VB.NET - How to compare 2 directories || VB.NET - How to trust a network share
    VB.NET - Create Excel Spreadsheet From Array || VB.NET - Example Code & Hints you may not know
    VB.NET - Save JPEG with a certain quality (image compression) || VB.NET - DragDrop Files, Emails, and Email Attachments

Please post some of the code you need help with (it makes it easier to help you)
    If your problem has been solved then please mark the thread [RESOLVED].
    Don't forget to Rate this post

"Pinky, you give a whole new meaning to the phrase, 'counter-intelligence'."-The Brain-

Re: [2005] File/Email DragDrop

I'm trying to add the same feature which allows the drag/drop option with Outlook emails. I finally found your code using the DragDropProcess class which is great! The thing is, I'm having trouble figuring out what code to use in the DropEvent to copy an instance of an Outlook email .msg to whatever directory I choose.

Could you possibly assist with this?

Thank you in advance.

A simple example would be something like...
    VB.NET Code:
    1. My.Computer.FileSystem.WriteAllBytes(String.Format("c:\Temp\{0}", filename), bytes, False)
    That code just take the bytes returned from the function and writes it to the directory c:\Temp.

Helpful Links:
    VB.NET - File Search Utility || VB.NET - How to compare 2 directories || VB.NET - How to trust a network share
    VB.NET - Create Excel Spreadsheet From Array || VB.NET - Example Code & Hints you may not know
    VB.NET - Save JPEG with a certain quality (image compression) || VB.NET - DragDrop Files, Emails, and Email Attachments

Please post some of the code you need help with (it makes it easier to help you)

"Pinky, you give a whole new meaning to the phrase, 'counter-intelligence'."-The Brain-

Great. I really appreciate it. I was having a hard time understanding where the actual data in the email .msg was stored, or how to access it from the DropEvent Sub with just those 3 parameters.

Thanks again

Hi ProphetBeal,

Thanks for your code. I can drag & drop several attachments from Outlook.
    However, if I try to drag & drop several files from a window explorer, only one file is added into listbox control, because only one event is fired. In the first case, one event is fired for every file dragged from Outlook.
    Any idea what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

BielB

Hi ProphetBeal,

Thanks for your code. I can drag & drop several attachments from Outlook.
    However, if I try to drag & drop several files from a window explorer, only one file is added into listbox control, because only one event is fired. In the first case, one event is fired for every file dragged from Outlook.

Thanks in advance.

BielB

Quote Originally Posted by biel73
    ...if I try to drag & drop several files from a window explorer, only one file is added into listbox control, because only one event is fired. In the first case, one event is fired for every file dragged from Outlook.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProphetBeal
    The only known issue is when you drop multiple files from the file system it will only grab the first file. (I'm still trying to resolve this problem any help would be greatly appreciated.)
    I have yet to resolve (and in all honesty I've forgotten about).

Helpful Links:

I missed this part of your original post.

I'm "playing" with your code. If I get something I'll let you know immediatly.

Thanks,

BielB

@ProphetBeal
    "Originally Posted by ProphetBeal
    I have yet to resolve (and in all honesty I've forgotten about)."
    --
    I would like to ask if in the meantime you have solved this problem? Thanks in advance.

@ProphetBeal
    I have a second question. There comes an event for each single mail. Wouldn't it be possible to send only one event for all mails together, which of course has parameters that are in nature collections of fileinformations (each element is the data for one mail). From a conceptual point of view, this would be better, because the user's drop action of a multiple selection of mails is one single action (the releasing of the mouse key), so it should result in one single event. Then it would be quite easier to give a message to the user like "your 5 mails have been dropped". In the scenario of one event per mail, how should I decide which event is the last one? Should I wait (using Thread.Sleep etc.) an arbitrary amount of time like e.g. 1000 ms and if no further event comes then I suppose it's finished?

Quote Originally Posted by Ling60 View Post
    @ProphetBeal
    I would like to ask if in the meantime you have solved this problem? Thanks in advance.
    Nope, you are welcome to give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ling60 View Post
    @ProphetBeal
    I have a second question. There comes an event for each single mail. Wouldn't it be possible to send only one event for all mails together, which of course has parameters that are in nature collections of fileinformations (each element is the data for one mail). From a conceptual point of view, this would be better, because the user's drop action of a multiple selection of mails is one single action (the releasing of the mouse key), so it should result in one single event. Then it would be quite easier to give a message to the user like "your 5 mails have been dropped". In the scenario of one event per mail, how should I decide which event is the last one? Should I wait (using Thread.Sleep etc.) an arbitrary amount of time like e.g. 1000 ms and if no further event comes then I suppose it's finished?
    It is indeed possible and you are free to add that method to this code. I understand what you are saying about counting each item and you are more than welcome to come up with something. What I use this code for is to capture emails from a user and then pass it to a document management system, which in then displays all the files the users has uploaded.

You are free to make whatever changes you like to this code, I just ask that you (or anyone using the code) add some comments about where they got the code from. Also if you do make any modifications that you think others would benefit from, feel free to post those code changes here.

Helpful Links:

Hi, I'm new to VB and the microsoft stack in general. I'm interested in providing drag and drop upload functionailty in a web component. Is it possible to port this code to a web (ActiveX?) component?

For starters...Welcome to the forum

Next, I'm sure it's possible to port this code to whatever you need. Also if you are looking for just basic drag/drop functionality, it's alot easier than this. This code is mainly to support email messages (like an outlook msg), which you can't capture using the regular .NET methods.

Helpful Links:

Quite seriously you have saved me so much time it isn't funny, I have previously accomplished obtaining MSG's directly from the Exchange server using WebDAV, it was a pain.

I found the C# version of this then found your link at the bottom.

YOU ARE A LEGEND.

Thanks mate.

Hi there,

First thank you for this code, it's very useful and a shame for Microsoft not adding this to Framework.

Found a solution for the explorer drag drop bug.

You have to use DragQueryFile API.
    Code:
    <DllImport("shell32.dll", CharSet:=CharSet.Auto)> _
    Public Shared Function DragQueryFile(ByVal hDrop As HandleRef, ByVal iFile As Integer, ByVal lpszFile As StringBuilder, ByVal cch As Integer) As Integer
    End Function
    Replace the GetFilename from that code and replace with the following GetFilenames function.
    Code:
     Private Function GetFilenames(ByVal dataObject As NativeMethods.IOleDataObject) As String()
            Dim filenames As New Generic.List(Of String)
            Try

Dim medium As New NativeMethods.STGMEDIUM()
                Dim format As New NativeMethods.FORMATETC()
                format.cfFormat = CUShort(NativeMethods.CF_HDROP)
                format.dwAspect = NativeMethods.DVASPECT_CONTENT
                format.lindex = -1
                format.ptd = New IntPtr(0)
                format.tymed = NativeMethods.TYMED_HGLOBAL Or NativeMethods.TYMED_ISTORAGE Or NativeMethods.TYMED_ISTREAM Or NativeMethods.TYMED_FILE
                Dim result As Integer = dataObject.OleGetData(format, medium)

Dim hRef As New HandleRef(Nothing, medium.unionmember)

If NativeMethods.Succeeded(result) Then
                    Dim cFiles As Integer = NativeMethods.DragQueryFile(hRef, &HFFFFFFFF, Nothing, 0)

For i As Integer = 0 To cFiles - 1
                        Dim sb As New StringBuilder(256)
                        NativeMethods.DragQueryFile(hRef, i, sb, sb.Capacity + 1)

filenames.Add(sb.ToString)
                    Next
                End If
            Catch ex As Exception
                Throw New Exception("Unable to determine the file name.", ex)
            End Try
            Return filenames.ToArray
        End Function
    Replace OleDragEnter with:
    Code:
    Private Function OleDragEnter(ByVal pDataObj As Object, ByVal grfKeyState As Integer, ByVal pt As Long, ByRef pdwEffect As Integer) As Integer Implements NativeMethods.IOleDropTarget.OleDragEnter
            Try
                ' Default to DROPEFFECT_NONE
                cachedEffect = DragDropEffects.None

'
                ' Does the data object support CFSTR_FILEDESCRIPTOR
                If QueryGetFileDescriptorArray(DirectCast(pDataObj, NativeMethods.IOleDataObject)) Then
                    ' Retrieve the list of files/folders
                    Dim dataObject As NativeMethods.IOleDataObject = DirectCast(pDataObj, NativeMethods.IOleDataObject)
                    Dim files As NativeMethods.FILEDESCRIPTOR() = GetFileDescriptorArray(dataObject)
                    If files Is Nothing OrElse files.Length = 0 Then
                        cachedEffect = DragDropEffects.Copy
                        Dim filenames() As String = GetFilenames(dataObject)
                        If filenames.Length > 0 Then
                            owner.DragEnter(filenames(0))
                        End If
                    Else
                        Dim firstFile As NativeMethods.FILEDESCRIPTOR = files(0)
                        Dim firstFilename As String = firstFile.cFileName
                        ' Indicate that we can copy the item(s)
                        owner.DragEnter(firstFilename)
                    End If
                End If

pdwEffect = CInt(cachedEffect)
                Return NativeMethods.S_OK
            Catch ex As Exception
                Throw New Exception("Error in the OLE Drag Enter.", ex)
            End Try

End Function
    Replace OleDrop with:
    Code:
    Private Function OleDrop(ByVal pDataObj As Object, ByVal grfKeyState As Integer, ByVal pt As Long, ByRef pdwEffect As Integer) As Integer Implements NativeMethods.IOleDropTarget.OleDrop
            Dim result As Int64
            Try

Dim dataObject As NativeMethods.IOleDataObject = DirectCast(pDataObj, NativeMethods.IOleDataObject)
                Dim files As NativeMethods.FILEDESCRIPTOR() = GetFileDescriptorArray(dataObject)

If files IsNot Nothing AndAlso files.Length > 0 Then
                    result = CopyFileContents(DirectCast(pDataObj, NativeMethods.IOleDataObject), files)
                    If NativeMethods.Succeeded(CInt(result)) Then
                        owner.DragDrop()
                        owner.Activate()
                    End If
                Else
                    For Each filename As String In GetFilenames(dataObject)
                        SaveFilename(filename)
                    Next
                    owner.DragDrop()
                    owner.Activate()
                End If
            Catch ex As Exception
                Throw New Exception("Error in the OLE Drop.", ex)
            End Try
        End Function
    Done some tests and it works. If you found any bug on this please reply.

Regards from Portugal.

Hi there,

First thank you for this great code a it's a shame for Microsoft not adding this to Framework.

I found a solution for the explorer drag drop single file bug.

You'll have to use DragQueryFile API.
    Code:
        <DllImport("shell32.dll", CharSet:=CharSet.Auto)> _
        Public Shared Function DragQueryFile(ByVal hDrop As HandleRef, ByVal iFile As Integer, ByVal lpszFile As StringBuilder, ByVal cch As Integer) As Integer
        End Function
    Replace GetFilename with this new function GetFilenames:
    Code:
    Private Function GetFilenames(ByVal dataObject As NativeMethods.IOleDataObject) As String()
            Dim filenames As New Generic.List(Of String)
            Try

Dim medium As New NativeMethods.STGMEDIUM()
                Dim format As New NativeMethods.FORMATETC()
                format.cfFormat = CUShort(NativeMethods.CF_HDROP)
                format.dwAspect = NativeMethods.DVASPECT_CONTENT
                format.lindex = -1
                format.ptd = New IntPtr(0)
                format.tymed = NativeMethods.TYMED_HGLOBAL Or NativeMethods.TYMED_ISTORAGE Or NativeMethods.TYMED_ISTREAM Or NativeMethods.TYMED_FILE
                Dim result As Integer = dataObject.OleGetData(format, medium)

Dim hRef As New HandleRef(Nothing, medium.unionmember)

If NativeMethods.Succeeded(result) Then
                    Dim cFiles As Integer = NativeMethods.DragQueryFile(hRef, &HFFFFFFFF, Nothing, 0)

For i As Integer = 0 To cFiles - 1
                        Dim sb As New StringBuilder(256)
                        NativeMethods.DragQueryFile(hRef, i, sb, sb.Capacity + 1)

filenames.Add(sb.ToString)
                    Next
                End If
            Catch ex As Exception
                Throw New Exception("Unable to determine the file name.", ex)
            End Try
            Return filenames.ToArray
        End Function
    Replace OleDragEnter with:
    Code:
    Private Function OleDragEnter(ByVal pDataObj As Object, ByVal grfKeyState As Integer, ByVal pt As Long, ByRef pdwEffect As Integer) As Integer Implements NativeMethods.IOleDropTarget.OleDragEnter
            Try

'
                ' Does the data object support CFSTR_FILEDESCRIPTOR
                If QueryGetFileDescriptorArray(DirectCast(pDataObj, NativeMethods.IOleDataObject)) Then
                    If files Is Nothing OrElse files.Length = 0 Then
                        Dim filenames() As String = GetFilenames(dataObject)
                        If filenames.Length > 0 Then
                            owner.DragEnter(filenames(0))
                        End If
                    Else
                        Dim firstFile As NativeMethods.FILEDESCRIPTOR = files(0)
                        Dim firstFilename As String = firstFile.cFileName
                        ' Indicate that we can copy the item(s)
                        owner.DragEnter(firstFilename)
                    End If
                End If

Catch ex As Exception
                Throw New Exception("Error in the OLE Drag Enter.", ex)
            End Try

End Function
    Replace OleDrop with:
    Code:
    Private Function OleDrop(ByVal pDataObj As Object, ByVal grfKeyState As Integer, ByVal pt As Long, ByRef pdwEffect As Integer) As Integer Implements NativeMethods.IOleDropTarget.OleDrop
            Dim result As Int64
            Try

If files IsNot Nothing AndAlso files.Length > 0 Then
                    result = CopyFileContents(DirectCast(pDataObj, NativeMethods.IOleDataObject), files)
                    If NativeMethods.Succeeded(CInt(result)) Then
                        owner.DragDrop()
                        owner.Activate()
                    End If
                Else
                    For Each filename As String In GetFilenames(dataObject)
                        SaveFilename(filename)
                    Next
                    owner.DragDrop()
                    owner.Activate()
                End If
            Catch ex As Exception
                Throw New Exception("Error in the OLE Drop.", ex)
            End Try
        End Function
    Done some tests and it works. If you found any bug please reply.

Regards from Portugal.
    Last edited by fegf; Oct 17th, 2009 at 08:22 PM.

Lively Member

I have been looking for something like this for some time. It really is awesome code, thank you so much for sharing

hi there does any know where you can see demo working?

Hi, know this an older thread but I am trying to drop an email to a TreeView on a UserControl instead of a form in outlook 2007 using this dll/class and am getting an "Unable to initialize object" error (copied below). I am using VS 2008 and this application is dot net 4. hoping I'm just not initializing this correctly or something?

Any help appreciated.

Have this at top of the class
    Code:
    Public Class myUserControl

Public WithEvents clsDropProcess As DragDropProcess.DragDropProcess  'This is so we can handle the drop event
    And this is my UserControl Load function
    Code:
        Private Sub UserControl1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
            'DRAG DROP
            Me.TreeView1.AllowDrop = True
            clsDropProcess = New DragDropProcess.DragDropProcess(TreeView1) 'Create a new instance of the class and pass the control that you want to allow files to be dropped on
            AddHandler clsDropProcess.DroppedByteArrayAvailable, AddressOf DropEvent 'Add a handler to get the files/emails that have been dropped

InitializeRoot()
        End Sub

System.Exception was unhandled by user code
    Message=Unable to initialise object.
    Source=DragDropProcess
    StackTrace:
    at DragDropProcess.DragDropProcess..ctor(Object sender) in D:\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\DragDropProcess\DragDropProcess\clsMain.vb:line 1060
    at OutlookExplorer.myUserControl.UserControl1_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Users\my.name\Desktop\Scripts\VB.Net\OutlookExplorer\OutlookExplorer\myUserControl.vb:line 30
    at System.Windows.Forms.UserControl.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.UserControl.OnCreateControl()
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.UserControl.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ActiveXImpl.System.Windows.Forms.IWindowTarget.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
    InnerException: System.NullReferenceException
    Message=Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    Source=DragDropProcess
    StackTrace:
    at DragDropProcess.DragDropProcess..ctor(Object sender) in D:\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\DragDropProcess\DragDropProcess\clsMain.vb:line 1042
    InnerException:

Finding this thread helped me a lot! I was able to drag and drop attachments from emails but not entire emails. I added NativeMethods.vb to my project. Ambiguity exists between "Imports System.Runtime.InteropServices" and "Imports System.Runtime.InteropServices.ComTypes". My code would only work importing ComTypes and referencing the other where needed. I'm posting this since the author said only single items would work, not multiple attachments or emails, and my example does multiples of anything: files, attachments, or emails. Works excellent. Thanks for supplying the code.
    Code:
      Private Sub TextBox1_DragDrop(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.DragEventArgs) Handles TextBox1.DragDrop
        Dim drop_inc_save As Integer = drop_inc
        Try
          If e.Data.GetDataPresent(DataFormats.FileDrop) Then
            Dim files() As String = e.Data.GetData(DataFormats.FileDrop)
            For Each path In files
              drop_inc += 1
              IO.File.Copy(path, temp_folder & "\" & Format(drop_inc, "00000") & "." & path.Substring(path.LastIndexOf("\") + 1), False)
            Next
          ElseIf e.Data.GetDataPresent("FileGroupDescriptor") Then
            non_file_drop(e)
          Else
            MsgBox("Items dropped were not files, emails, or email attachments")
            Exit Sub
          End If
        Catch ex As System.Exception
          temp_folder_clean(drop_inc_save + 1)
          MsgBox("The drop action failed" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & ex.Message)
        End Try

Public Sub non_file_drop(ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.DragEventArgs)
        Dim mem_stream As MemoryStream = e.Data.GetData("FileGroupDescriptor")
        Dim bytes(mem_stream.Length - 1) As Byte
        mem_stream.Read(bytes, 0, mem_stream.Length)
        mem_stream.Close()
        Dim fnames$() = Nothing, sw As Boolean = False
        For f1 As Integer = 76 To (bytes.Length - 1)
          If bytes(f1) = 0 Then
            sw = False
          Else
            If Not sw Then
              sw = True
              If IsNothing(fnames) Then ReDim fnames(0) Else ReDim Preserve fnames(fnames.Length)
              fnames(fnames.Length - 1) = ""
            End If
            fnames(fnames.Length - 1) &= Chr(bytes(f1))
          End If
        Next f1
        For f1 = 0 To (fnames.Length - 1)
          fnames(f1) = fnames(f1).Replace("\", ".").Replace("/", ".").Replace("?", "").Replace("*", "").Replace("""", "")
          Dim cdo As IDataObject = e.Data
          Dim etc As New FORMATETC, fmat_long As Long = DataFormats.GetFormat("FileContents").Id
          Dim fmat_short As Short = fmat_long And &H7FFF
          If fmat_long > &H7FFF Then fmat_short = -32768 + (fmat_long - &H7FFF - 1)
          With etc
            .cfFormat = fmat_short
            .dwAspect = DVASPECT.DVASPECT_CONTENT
            .lindex = f1
            .ptd = New IntPtr(0)
            .tymed = TYMED.TYMED_ISTREAM Or TYMED.TYMED_ISTORAGE
          End With
          Dim medium As New STGMEDIUM
          cdo.GetData(etc, medium)
          Select Case medium.tymed
            Case TYMED.TYMED_ISTREAM
              Dim i_stream As IStream = Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.GetObjectForIUnknown(medium.unionmember)
              Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.Release(medium.unionmember)
              Dim stat As New STATSTG
              i_stream.Stat(stat, 0)
              Dim size As Integer = stat.cbSize
              ReDim bytes(size - 1)
              i_stream.Read(bytes, size, IntPtr.Zero)
              drop_inc += 1
              IO.File.WriteAllBytes(temp_folder & "\" & Format(drop_inc, "00000") & "." & fnames(f1), bytes)
            Case TYMED.TYMED_ISTORAGE
              Dim i_storage As NativeMethods.IStorage = DirectCast(Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.GetTypedObjectForIUnknown(medium.unionmember, GetType(NativeMethods.IStorage)), NativeMethods.IStorage)
              Dim grfFlags As UInteger = NativeMethods.STGM_CREATE Or NativeMethods.STGM_READWRITE Or NativeMethods.STGM_SHARE_EXCLUSIVE
              Dim lpBytes As NativeMethods.ILockBytes = NativeMethods.CreateILockBytesOnHGlobal(IntPtr.Zero, True)
              Dim lpDest As NativeMethods.IStorage = NativeMethods.StgCreateDocfileOnILockBytes(lpBytes, grfFlags, 0)
              Try
                i_storage.CopyTo(0, Nothing, IntPtr.Zero, lpDest)
                lpBytes.Flush()
                lpDest.Commit(NativeMethods.STGC_DEFAULT)
                Dim pStatstg As New NativeMethods.STATSTG()
                lpBytes.Stat(pStatstg, NativeMethods.STATFLAG_NONAME)
                Dim hGlobal As IntPtr = NativeMethods.GetHGlobalFromILockBytes(lpBytes)
                Dim hRef As New Runtime.InteropServices.HandleRef(Me, hGlobal)
                Dim lpBuf As IntPtr = NativeMethods.GlobalLock(hRef)
                Dim size As Integer = pStatstg.cbSize
                ReDim bytes(size - 1)
                Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.Copy(lpBuf, bytes, 0, size)
                NativeMethods.GlobalUnlock(hRef)
                Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(lpDest)
                Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(lpBytes)
                drop_inc += 1
                IO.File.WriteAllBytes(temp_folder & "\" & Format(drop_inc, "00000") & "." & fnames(f1), bytes)
              Catch ex As Exception
                Try : Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(lpDest) : Catch : End Try
                Try : Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(lpBytes) : Catch : End Try
                Throw ex
              End Try
            Case Else
              Throw New Exception("an item dropped was not recognizable")
          End Select
        Next f1
      End Sub

NativeMethods.vb
    Imports System.Runtime.InteropServices.ComTypes