Thread: [2005] Help me figure out what to do

[2005] Help me figure out what to do

Ok, I am trying to write a program, but I am really not sure how to do it. I have taken a class on vb and this is really the first attempt at doing something with it. Anyway, I am trying to write a program that will let me select a group of files and rename them. I want the naming to be based off of 3 lists of keywords that I put together. I want to be able to pick the number of keywords I use from each list. So say there are 100 keywords in each list, I could say 2 from the first, 1 from the second, and 2 from the third and get a file that has 5 words in it and the extension. I know this probably isn't too difficult, but it is a little out of my range at the moment. That being said, I am turning to people I think can help. So if you can give me any help, even just a nudge in the right direction, I would appreciate it a whole lot. Thanks.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Re: [2005] Help me figure out what to do

Welcome to the forums.

Give me an example of what you are trying to do.

Lets say I have these three files:

goldengod420.txt
    hack.txt
    vbf.txt

Now, I want to rename all three of them. In terms of your specifications, what do I do next?

Ok, let me try to be more clear.....

Lets say I have the following files I want to be able to select all 3 or however many are in the directory

1.txt
    2.txt
    3.txt

and I have 3 lists of keywords(say a list of adjectives, nouns, and verbs) that I want to randomly pull the keyword out to rename a file. Then I can define how many keywords I want from each list. Say I want 1 from each... it would select one of the keywords from each list and I would get a filename:

(keyword 1) (keyword 2) (keyword 3).txt

randomly so I have different names for all 3 of the filenames... I would also like to be able to do more than one and get something like follows if I wanted 3 of the first keywords, 1 of the second, and 2 if the third:

(keyword 1)(keyword 1)(keyword 1)(keyword 2)(keyword 3)(keyword 3).txt

If you have any insight on how I would do this, I would appreciate it a lot. Thanks

nothing huh? nobody here knows how to set this up?

The problem is that you're asking us how to implement a multistage process without any indication that you have any idea at all. The first step in any project is to break it down into its components, then look at implementing each in its own right. For instance, do you even know how to rename a file? If so then where's your implementation of that part? If not then that would be a topic for one thread. Don't ask us how to build a house or you'll get no takers. Ask us how to pour concrete, cut wood and lay bricks, each in a different thread. It's then for you to combine the skills you gain and complete the project.