dcsimg

Thread: VB6 Split one picture into multiple picture boxes.

Fanatic Member

VB6 Split one picture into multiple picture boxes.

how do i open a bmp or jpeg image into two seperate pictureboxes on the form? eg. half the picture in one box and half in the other? it should be quite simple but i can't find it out.
    whatever method is used to do this, can it also be used to split the picture up more? eg. split into vertical quarters and put this into 4 pictureboxes?

"Digital Revolution"

Re: VB6 Split one picture into multiple picture boxes.

Look into the BitBlt() API function. You can copy a portion of one picture to another. I'd load the entire picture into a single PictureBox control, then use BitBlt() to copy portions of it to the other boxes.

There are a lot of BitBlt() examples if you search for it.

Quote Originally Posted by kilo
    how do i open a bmp or jpeg image into two seperate pictureboxes on the form? eg. half the picture in one box and half in the other? it should be quite simple but i can't find it out.
    whatever method is used to do this, can it also be used to split the picture up more? eg. split into vertical quarters and put this into 4 pictureboxes?
    You cannot directly. If using the LoadPicture() function, the entire picture is loaded; however, you can, for example, use LoadPicture() to load the image into a image control (can be hidden if you prefer) then use PaintPicture to draw halves to picboxes. Play around with quarters or eighths as needed.
    Code:
    Set Image1.Picture = LoadPicture([path\filename])
        Dim imgWidth As Long, imgHeight As Long

Picture1.AutoRedraw = True
        Picture1.Cls
        Picture2.AutoRedraw = True
        Picture2.Cls
        Picture2.ScaleMode = Picture1.ScaleMode
        ' ensure both picboxes same scale & get actual image size in scalemode
        imgWidth = Picture1.ScaleX(Image1.Picture.Width, vbHimetric, Picture1.ScaleMode)
        imgHeight = Picture1.ScaleY(Image1.Picture.Height, vbHimetric, Picture1.ScaleMode)

Picture1.PaintPicture Image1.Picture, 0, 0, imgWidth \ 2, imgHeight, 0, 0, imgWidth \ 2, imgHeight
        Picture2.PaintPicture Image1.Picture, 0, 0, imgWidth \ 2, imgHeight, imgWidth \ 2, 0, imgWidth \ 2, imgHeight

Picture1.Refresh
        Picture2.Refresh
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Mar 26th, 2008 at 01:35 PM.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Fanatic Member

that works great, i'm just coverting it to deal with an array of picture boxes at the moment

Fanatic Member

here we go, incase anyone else needs it:

Code:
    Private Sub Command1_Click()
    Set Image1.Picture = LoadPicture(Text1.Text)
        Dim imgWidth As Long, imgHeight As Long
    Dim i As Integer
    Dim amount As Integer
    imgWidth = Picture1(0).ScaleX(Image1.Picture.Width, vbHimetric, Picture1(0).ScaleMode)
        imgHeight = Picture1(0).ScaleY(Image1.Picture.Height, vbHimetric, Picture1(0).ScaleMode)
    amount = 8 ' amount of picture boxes
        For i = 0 To amount - 1
        Picture1(i).Width = imgWidth
        Picture1(i).Left = 0
        Picture1(i).Height = imgHeight \ amount
        Picture1(i).Top = i * imgHeight \ amount
        Picture1(i).Refresh
        Next i
    For i = 0 To amount - 1
        Picture1(i).AutoRedraw = True
        Picture1(i).Cls

Picture1(i).ScaleMode = Picture1(0).ScaleMode
        ' ensure both picboxes same scale & get actual image size in scalemode
        Picture1(i).PaintPicture Image1.Picture, 0, 0, imgWidth, (imgHeight \ amount), 0, (i * (imgHeight \ amount)), imgWidth, imgHeight \ amount
    Next i
    End Sub
    one final question though, how would i scale down the picture first, if it is too big, before splitting it up?

Nice use of the loop. Couple things that I would recommend.
    1. Set the scalemodes in Form_Load; that way you don't have to do it each time button is clicked. Also set the AutoRedraw at that time too
    2. You can probably get rid of one of your loops and just keep the outer loop.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Hi , l am back

l run the code and although the cells are populated , seems like parts of the original picture are missing . The attached zip will explain better .
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hyperactive Member

You have a couple of issues

1) Use ScaleWidth and ScaleHeight instead of Width and Height

What you have:
    horizontalSize = Picture1.Width
    verticalSize = Picture1.Height

What you should have:
    horizontalSize = Picture1.ScaleWidth
    verticalSize = Picture1.ScaleHeight

2) In your PaintPicture function you are using xSize and ySize as the size for your array cells. The correct size should be the ScaleWidth and ScaleHeight of the array cells. This was your major problem.

What you have:
    pictureTile(picIdx).PaintPicture Picture1.Picture, 0, 0, xSize, ySize, XOffset, YOffset, xSize, ySize

What you should have:
    pictureTile(picIdx).PaintPicture Picture1.Picture, 0, 0, pictureTile(picIdx).ScaleWidth, pictureTile(picIdx).ScaleHeight, XOffset, YOffset, xSize, ySize

NOTE1: Using ScaleWidth and ScaleHeight is better programming it doesn't really matter in your case if you do not use them as the results will look the same.

NOTE2: although not really necessary you might want to consider changing the ScaleMode to Pixels for all your pictureboxes and your Form
    Last edited by Code Dummy; May 13th, 2019 at 06:39 PM.

Thank you @Code Dummy

Actually the code @passel suggested was OK except for the line of pictureTile(picIdx).PaintPicture Picture1.Picture, 0, 0 ........ for which he wasn't certain
    about and l am obliged for his trouble . l replaced it with yours and it works fine .
    Now my problem is to find some code for shuffling the images and then move them around but so far , l found nothing except numbers shuffling . Still trying

Thanks again

Thank you @Code Dummy

Actually the code @passel suggested was OK except for the line of pictureTile(picIdx).PaintPicture Picture1.Picture, 0, 0 ........ for which he wasn't certain
    about and l am obliged for his trouble . l replaced it with yours and it works fine .
    Now my problem is to find some code for shuffling the images and then move them around but so far , l found nothing except numbers shuffling . Still trying

Thanks again

Hyperactive Member

I think this is what you want
    Last edited by Code Dummy; May 14th, 2019 at 01:56 PM.

Hyperactive Member

Here's the version that moves the tiles

@Code Dummy

My pm's seem to be gone , who know where . Anyway to summarize

1. Yes of course the pictures are to move (swap) not the tiles , in order to form the original picture
    2. Like l said the 10x10 (100 tiles) works fine as far populating the tiles correctly , but l miss something when suffling (zip attached)
    3. is it possible to have some kind of warning when the swapping has completed the orignal picture ?

Sinecure devotee

You've ended up with three threads on the same subject, I think.

In any case, in the following post, in one of the other threads, I attached a project which shuffles the pieces, and also checks when all the pieces are back in their correct position.
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...=1#post5387901

I based my approach on the old sliding tile puzzles, where you have one tile missing to allow you to slide the other tiles around the frame to get them in order.

Perhaps that is not the type of puzzle you want. Perhaps you just want to scramble the pieces, and not necessarily keep them in a grid, but allow dragging a piece and dragging it to where it belongs and having it snap in place, kind of like a jigsaw puzzle, but with square pieces.

I can't look at your zip file at the moment, because I'm not allowed to download from work, so can't see what you've provided for moving the pieces around, or how you keep track of which tile goes in what spot, so can't try to confirm the nature of your game.

I did tweak the puzzle some more, so that the size of the frame and size of the tiles can increase if you resize the form larger, but I haven't posted that version at this time.

Hyperactive Member

I made this version 3 to allow you to have as many different array dimensions as you want as long as you don't go over 20 x 20. The default is a 5 x 5 array just like your original project

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by vbgeobas View Post
    @Code Dummy

3. is it possible to have some kind of warning when the swapping has completed the orignal picture ?
    Don't you think when it stops swapping that will tell you it has finished

Hyperactive Member

@Code Dummy

2. Like l said the 10x10 (100 tiles) works fine as far populating the tiles correctly , but l miss something when suffling
    What you have:

pictureTile(Pic2).Picture = pictureTile(25).Picture

What you should have:

pictureTile(Pic2).Picture = pictureTile(100).Picture

Sinecure devotee

Quote Originally Posted by Code Dummy View Post
    Don't you think when it stops swapping that will tell you it has finished
    I think the point for the game would be for the user to reassemble the image by moving the pieces into place.
    I think vbgeobas was asking if there was a way for the program to let you know (warn you?), when all the pieces have been put back into place, recreating the original picture.

So far, your program hasn't implemented any user game play, where they try to reassemble the image from the tiles.

With your code, you may not be able to exceed 20 x 20, but you could do something like 4x80, or any combination less than 400 total, which might not be what you would want
    Last edited by passel; May 16th, 2019 at 03:35 PM.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by passel View Post
    I think the point for the game would be for the user to reassemble the image by moving the pieces into place.
    I think vbgeobas was asking if there was a way for the program to let you know (warn you?), when all the pieces have been put back into place, recreating the original picture.
    I understand that but wouldn't you think that once the user has put back all the pieces to recreate the original picture that just looking at the picture would tell the user it's completed - I mean almost anyone can tell if a puzzle has a missing piece unless your blind

So far, your program hasn't implemented any user game play, where they try to reassemble the image from the tiles.
    No, I haven't because when I started to help the OP I had no knowledge of any game playing where a user would move pieces around to make the completed puzzle picture. I just kept on making changes to my original project as the OP made additional requests. I overlooked the statement OP made earlier in posts 9 and 10: "Now my problem is to find some code for shuffling the images and then move them around but so far.....". I have a user-move-pieces puzzle game I made some time back which I can use to make another change to the project. By the way, the project I worked on, even though it is not entirely what the OP wanted, I made it on the basis of what I thought others would like to have even knowing he probably wouldn't want the multi-array-dimension choice.

With your code, you may not be able to exceed 20 x 20, but you could do something like 4x80, or any combination less than 400 total, which might not be what you would want
    I know that. I just mentioned you couldn't have more than 20 x 20. I decided to let the user decide what dimensions he wants but not 20 x 21 etc, for example. Also, it's not what I want; it's what the user would like to have

Hyperactive Member

OK, I understand now about letting the user know when he has completed the puzzle. I was thinking of a real jig-saw puzzle where you can tell if the piece doesn't fit but these are squares the same size so any piece can fit anywhere.

@ Code Dummy

First of all , let me say that the option for the user/player to decide what dimenssions he/she wants , was a great idea . However more than 20x20 is
    not practical , because even that will be impossible to play because the squares are very small and the picture part in them , are not easily recognizable
    to swap them in order to reassemble the original picture .

The idea for the warning ? when the picture is reassembled , is to congratulate the user/player for his achievement and rate him , according to the time
    spent (l will have a stopwatch ticking whilst playing) .

So , once the option of letting the user know when he has completed the puzzle is added , and of course the swapping of the pictures , we will have
    a complete image puzzle .

Hyperactive Member

@ Code Dummy

First of all , let me say that the option for the user/player to decide what dimenssions he/she wants , was a great idea . However more than 20x20 is
    not practical , because even that will be impossible to play because the squares are very small and the picture part in them , are not easily recognizable
    to swap them in order to reassemble the original picture .
    Why do you think I set a 20 x 20 limit to the size? I totally understand that it is not practical in your case, however, keep in mind that when I make projects to help someone I also make them for others and although I set the upper limit of this project to 20 x 20 someone else may want more than 20 x 20. I can see several reasons for having more than 20 x 20 tiles. As a matter of fact, I'm working on another project that has 200 x 200 tiles (that's 40,000 tiles).

Since you are making a puzzle why didn't you want it to be like a jig-saw puzzle instead of squares. Is this puzzle/game meant for small children and you want it as simple as possible.

I'm working on the problem now of moving the pieces. Moving the pieces is simple, knowing if the pieces have been moved to the correct order is another story. I have some ideas but have not yet tried them out. I thought passel already worked that out for you

Well , l don't know what kind/size of form you want to get the 200x200 . My 20x20 takes more than half of my full size screen on a 17 inch laptop .

Yes it is meant for not so very young children . Never thought that it can be done with the odd shapes of a jig-saw puzzle . If you ever make such
    a project , l would very like to have a copy if it's OK with you .

Of course the pieces are supposed to be moved anywhere and not necessarily to the correct order . That's the idea of trying .

Hyperactive Member

You need to understand that there are all kinds of arrays and how they are displayed. With what you have 200 x 200 is beyond reason. If you set dimensions to 20 x 20 on the project I posted you will see that it takes no more over all size than the 25 x 25 size takes. It depends on the size of each element how many you can have on a Form. Take for example, how many tiles do you think you can have on your Form if each tile was no more than the size of a pixel. It all depends on the tile size and what your intentions are.

Making a jig-saw puzzle is not very difficult. Instead of using pictureboxes you would use transparent user controls. The tiles are still square but the image they contain can be any shape you want and only the image is visible while the rest of the tile is transparent. This allows you to move tiles around and inter-lock the correct piece to another piece just like in a real jig-saw puzzle. This method is very common and there may even be some examples in the Forum Code Bank; all you have to do is search.

I will try to find one that I have and post it for you but it will take awhile as I have many other things to do.

PowerPoster

There are a number of ways to skin this cat, from the slicing and dicing to the scrambling to the displaying of tiled images. This example doesn't do exactly what you are after but it demonstrates alternative techniques.

It uses just a source and destination PictureBox, a PictureClip for slicing, and an ImageList to assist in creating mouse pointers. It also makes use of WIA 2.0, but only to load the source image from a resource. WIA 2.0 can be used as a slicer and dicer itself of course.

It should be a lot "lighter weight" than using a gigantic number of PictureBox controls. Here I use a 4 by 3 grid but if you use larger images and fill the screen it sounds like you want something like 400 or more tiles.

Here I have moved one tile down already and have selected a second one to drop:

Name:  sshot.png
Views: 122
Size:  70.4 KB

In this program the mouse pointer is a small icon of the selected tile image, but you could also add a "pointer arrow" icon overlay. The ImageList control supports icon overlay compositing.

Select the Help menu option for a dialog describing how to move tiles.

Nearly all of the code here is UI management bookkeeping. Slicing and pasting images is almost a trivial portion of the logic.

Since WIA 2.0 didn't become a shipped Windows component until Vista, this program will not work on XP or Win2K unless you have installed the SDK's redist version of wiaaut.dll (no longer available from Microsoft). It won't work at all for those of you still using NT 4.0 or Win9x.

Hyperactive Member

@vbgeobas

Here's a sample project based on my earlier project I posted in post #15. Now I know you mentioned that you want the player to move the tiles around and place them where ever they want to. If you still want that approach I will make it for you but I want you to try this project. Instead of the player moving a tile piece with the mouse this project uses point-and-click method. The player moves the mouse on top of a tile and mouse down click on it. Then he finds another tile and he mouse down clicks on it. When this is done the two tiles exchanges places. I also added a caption on the titlebar to show how the player is doing.

Give me your feedback and if you still want the other method I will make a drag and drop for you.

Sinecure devotee

Quote Originally Posted by Code Dummy View Post
    Give me your feedback....
    The "Finish" button doesn't work.

@ Code Dummy

Well , l have no words to express my thanks for this version . It is just GREAT .
    However , it's too much for the scenario l have in mind . l do understand how the code works , although l did not know part of it , but
    l might use someparts of this code at a later time when my knowledge of coding is better . What would absolutely fantastic is to adapt
    the point-and-click-method (which for me is much better than dragging ) to the first you sent me (post #11) and to include the "Finish"
    notification , which as @passel noticed , as l did , doesn't work properly .

Hyperactive Member

Here's the corrected command function

Code:
    Private Sub cmdFinished_Click()
     Dim n As Integer
     Dim Counter As Integer

For n = 0 To NumRows * NumCols - 1
       If List1.List(n) = n & ":0000000000" Then Counter = Counter + 1 Else Exit For
     Next n

If Counter = NumRows * NumCols Then Caption = Space(80) & "Your'e a Winner!" Else Caption = Space(77) & "Sorry! Keep Trying"
    End Sub
    Also I made a few other corrections

Hyperactive Member

I'm going ahead and make one with drag-n-drop because others might like that instead of point-n-click. You don't have to use it if you don't want to.

I'll change my first version to include the point-n-click and the finish button. Do you also want the scoring method.

Yes please

@ Code Dummy

Regarding the scoring method , as l did mention in post #21 , l intend to have a stopwatch working whilst the player is trying
    to move the images in their right place and rate him/her according to the time spent to complete it . According to the scoring
    method as it is now , a winner is only one who has finished it , in as many correct hits as the number of cell/pictures .

Although the hits and misses recording is great , in my case it would be ideal to let us know when actually the puzzle has been
    completed , no matter what the score is .

Hyperactive Member

I had given that thought but just didn't implement it because I wasn't sure if you even wanted the point-n-click method so I left it out but don't worry I'll include the timer and the notification if/when player completes puzzle

Hyperactive Member

Last edited by Code Dummy; May 26th, 2019 at 10:40 AM.

Hyperactive Member

@vbgeobas

Hope this is what you want. Give it a try, let me know

Open all three zip files into a single directory. Move the pictures "1", "2", and "3" from folders Pictures1 and Pictures2 to folder PicturePuzzles
    Last edited by Code Dummy; May 26th, 2019 at 10:39 AM.

@Code Dummy

Sorry for late reply , was away for the weekend
    Tried this version and it is fine . Now l have everything l need to design the puzzle the way l want .

Thank you once more for your help