Thread: [RESOLVED] ShellExecute PDF "file already open" error

Hybrid View

Lively Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] ShellExecute PDF "file already open" error

Greetings,

Running Vista and VB6:

I'm using shellexecute to launch files with their associated application. This works for all files except PDF files. With PDF files, I can launch a given file one time successfully, then any subsequent attempts to launch that same file results in the following:

* Adobe Reader opens
    * Adobe Reader reports the following error:
    "There was an error opening this document. This file is already open or in use by another application."

I can open the file by double-clicking on it from Windows Explorer.

After some time passes, I may or may not be able to successfully launch this same PDF file from my app. Restarting my app has no effect on this behavior.

Here is the code I'm using:

Code:
    Private Declare Function ShellExecute Lib "shell32.dll" Alias "ShellExecuteA" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal lpOperation As String, ByVal lpFile As String, ByVal lpParameters As String, ByVal lpDirectory As String, ByVal nShowCmd As Long) As Long

Const SW_SHOWNORMAL as Long = 1

sAddr = sAddr & vbNullChar
    lHndl = ShellExecute(mf.hwnd, "open", sAddr, "", "", SW_SHOWNORMAL)
    Any clues would be much appreciated.

PowerPoster

Re: ShellExecute PDF "file already open" error

i tested your code it had no problem, on my machine opened the same file many times, if the file was still open, it activated the adobe reader window, are you writing the pdf before opening?
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

I just tested your code as well and has no difficulties, so something else has to be going on with something other than the code that you posted.

Lively Member

Thanks all.

Apparently a call to ShellExecute will return before the program being called opens the file being passed to it, at least with PDF files. My program was calling a quick file open binary shared after the ShellExecute command under the assumption that Adobe had already launched.

Resolved.