Thread: [RESOLVED] May be the alltime historic noob question

Resolved [RESOLVED] May be the alltime historic noob question

Ive been using vb for years.. and every so often i need a tough problem figured out.. so I spend like a night searching online and none off the stuff I find works for me.

I add referances, I install all the stuff the pages say.

I have microsoft shell controls and automation
    html object library
    internet controls

yada yada,... But I always have to find ALTERNATIVES cause what the pages say dont work. Whats the deal?

tonight a full 8 hours spent on trying to open an existing browser and running my script thats ran for years.. although now the site uses signatures.. or SID. So my app doesnt run effectively

I found tonight webBrowser1 ..Oh of course!!.. can't work it.
    I found findwindow findwindowex OH of course!! cant work it.

these just wont work

ive been searching my eyes are like hard boiled eggs..

so.. is this the reasoning cause ive heard it a few times before..

is there a VBA and a VB?? Ive always used excel and VB..

I went to HELP, ABOUT.. and it states VB 6.5

Im completely lost..

does anyone know to make my app/script/code just simply find the open window and start running it?

before it did more!..open explorer window, login with name, password, start running..

now I want LESS and its even harder. lol im losin my mind.

any help insight, do I have to purchase like a real VB, is the vb for excel like LITE or something??

Thanks anyone!

Ive made pretty impressive projects in the past 8 years with what ive got. Stock market automators, yahoo finance spiders, sports betting, cr*ags list bots, Kij*j*, But ive always be blindsided with some options not capable, and some were so its take days weeks.

what is webBrowser1? theres some neat code for grabbing all links of a page. Sounds fun!! but apparently my setup is ghetto and wont run it.

Im using office 2007.. I just ghosted/reincarnated my laptop a week ago, so i havent put my latest windows in.

very very VERY unproductive night, reasoning for this post.. help me out. lol

.. am I like doing wheelies on an ole tricycle here?? lmao ***.
    Last edited by 0o0o0; Oct 20th, 2011 at 06:12 AM.

Re: May be the alltime historic noob question

We haven VB6 and ealier version and after that there are the .Net version like VB2010.

On the other hand we have the Macro-parts of the Office-bundles, these are called VBA, the syntax is similar to VB6.
    You're welcome to rate this post!
    If your problem is solved, please use the Mark thread as resolved button

Wait, I'm too old to hurry!

Quote Originally Posted by 0o0o0 View Post
    is there a VBA and a VB?? Ive always used excel and VB..
    Yes, and you are using VBA... so Thread moved to the 'Office Development/VBA' forum

VBA is basically a sub-set of VB6 (aka VB 1998), and several things are lacking or different.
    any help insight, do I have to purchase like a real VB, is the vb for excel like LITE or something??
    You don't need to purchase anything, you can get the latest version of VB for free from www.microsoft.com/Express

It isn't the best edition (the others can be extremely expensive), but it has much more functionality than VBA, and is easily enough for most people.

i have microsoft office 2010 I havent installed yet. Is what your sending me better than that?? or about the same?

lemme know thanks! thanks for all the replies.

I haven't installed it yet either so can't be entirely sure, but I would be amazed if the version of VBA it has is as full featured as VB.

Previous VBA version changes made only minor improvements, none of which have brought it even close to VB6 - which is already 12 years old, and missing many features in the later versions of VB.

whats the best route, with money being no object. What do I really need?

The free Express edition is probably more than enough (it is certainly superior to VBA).

Give it a try, and only consider going for a paid edition if there are things missing that you want/need.