Thread: [RESOLVED] save data to SQL server have runtime error "3704"

Fanatic Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] save data to SQL server have runtime error "3704"

hi,please help.when i try to save data to SQL Server have error message.At the early time i was use access recordset to save the database, now i'm changing the recordset to SQL Server.when i try to save the data to SQL database have error message runtime error "3704"appear.

this is the current code:
    Code:
     Dim conn As New ADODB.Connection
      Set conn = New ADODB.Connection
          Set conDataConnection = New Connection
          conn.ConnectionString = "driver={SQL Server};Server=GRACEKUO;Uid=sa;pwd=sa;database=SPC"
          conn.Open

' Dim strSQL As String
        'First insert
        strSQL = "INSERT INTO SpcData (PartNo,Dimension,Inspector,[Date],[Time],[Data]) Values ('" & combopartno.Text & "','" & Txtdimension.Text & "','" & Txtinspector.Text & "',#" & DTPicker1.Value & "#,#" & Txttime.Text & "#,'" & txtdata1.Text & "')"
        Debug.Print strSQL
        'conDataConnection.Execute strSQL
        conn.Execute strSQL error is highlight at this line
    thanks for help.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hyperactive Member

Re: save data to SQL server have runtime error "3704"

What is being passed from your DTPicker1.Value and Txttime.Text as it looks like '28' is being passed from one of them.

Also with your debug.print strSQL
    what is that returning?
    Last edited by kevchadders; Mar 4th, 2008 at 05:58 AM.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Unlike Access, SQL Server does not support the # signs for dates. That must be changed to single quotes.

Fanatic Member

kevchadders:
    hi,thanks ya reply.

this is the debug.print strSQL
    INSERT INTO SpcData (PartNo,Dimension,Inspector,[Date],[Time],[Data]) Values (' 0B21405 - DD','Parallelism 4.0','','28/02/2008','11:00','1.4')

thanks for help!

Fanatic Member

hi,i try to change the sql statement but still have error message appear.

Code:
    strSQL = "INSERT INTO SpcData (PartNo,Dimension,Inspector,[Date],[Time],[Data]) Values ('" & combopartno.Text & "','" & Txtdimension.Text & "','" & Txtinspector.Text & "'," & Format(DTPicker1.Value, "dd-mm-yyyy ") & "," & Format(Txttime.Text, "HH:MM:SS") & ",'" & txtdata1.Text & "')"
    this is the debug.print return
    INSERT INTO SpcData (PartNo,Dimension,Inspector,[Date],[Time],[Data]) Values (' 0B21405 - DD','Parallelism 4.0','','28/02/2008','11:00','1.4')

please help.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hyperactive Member

It sounds like its erroring on your [Time] field. (colon bit of the time) What is the datatype of that field in SQL? I expect it should be someting like VARCHAR.

Also, just concentrate on getting the SQL working via Query Analyser first, so that you know what data is required for the correct insert to work in code.

ps. Based on your requirements is it possible to change the Date and Time Fields to be just the one field of type timestamp?

ah... don't use TimeStamp... that has other purposes.... just use a DateTime field... but, I agree, concat the date and time into a single field.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Fanatic Member

hi guys,thanks i solved the problem.now the data is able save to sql database.Thanks
    Code:
    strSQL = "INSERT INTO SpcData (PartNo,Dimension,Inspector,[Date],[Time],[Data]) Values ('" & combopartno.Text & "','" & Txtdimension.Text & "','" & Txtinspector.Text & "','" & Format(DTPicker1.Value, "dd-mmm-yyyy") & "','" & Txttime.Text & "','" & txtdata1.Text & "')"
    one more question how to save the txtdata is only contain value to sql server?current have 5 textbox data want to save to the sql server database ,if the txtdata.text is empty thenstrsql will not perform save the [txtData] with Null value to sql server database,it only save the txtdata is not empty value.

Code:
     strSQL = "INSERT INTO SpcData (PartNo,Dimension,Inspector,[Date],[Time],[Data]) Values ('" & combopartno.Text & "','" & Txtdimension.Text & "','" & Txtinspector.Text & "','" & Format(DTPicker1.Value, "dd-mmm-yyyy") & "','" & Txttime.Text & "','" & txtdata1.Text & "')"
     conn.Execute strSQL

'Second INsert
          strSQL = "INSERT INTO SpcData (PartNo,Dimension,Inspector,[Date],[Time],[Data]) Values ('" & combopartno.Text & "','" & Txtdimension.Text & "','" & Txtinspector.Text & "','" & Format(DTPicker1.Value, "dd-mmm-yyyy") & "','" & Txttime.Text & "','" & txtdata2.Text & "')"
    conn.Execute strSQL
    thanks for help.

When you want to run code under certain conditions and not others, use an If statement, eg:
    Code:
    If Trim(txtdata2.Text) <> "" Then
      'Second INsert
      strSQL = "INSERT INTO SpcData ..."
      conn.Execute strSQL
    End It

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome
    ah... don't use TimeStamp... that has other purposes.... just use a DateTime field... but, I agree, concat the date and time into a single field.

-tg
    hehe... yes DateTime (started with Timestamp for one of my fields a few weeks ago for a project before realising it was the wrong one I needed!)

Fanatic Member

thanks you guys is done!