Thread: a good collage for programing?

Addicted Member

a good collage for programing?

anyone got any recommendations in the usa? i thinking of picking programing as a career (mainly languages like c++) im thinking of free lancing (i heard it isnt as stressful XD)

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! mendhak's Avatar

Re: a good collage for programing?

I think it's more about how well you learn programming concepts than how good your college is. Any medium to good level college should give you the concepts you need, it's then up to you to apply it when you work.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Moved to General Developer

Interweb adm/o/distrator Paul M's Avatar

Honestly i wouldn't be overly concerned, in the end just go anywhere that looks half decent. If you have money or get good marks in high school then go to the more prestigious place obviously.

But honestly i just started my course recently and i understand that the first semester is a little simpler at first but quite honestly i could basically have my bachelor now i find that helping out on communities like this and having spent time in the past whilst at HS and as a hobbyist programmer, has taught me more than anyone ever can (except maybe some of the people here, but there is always something new to learn ).

Anyway i don't live in the USA so i can't be one to suggest a college.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebiru
    anyone got any recommendations in the usa? i thinking of picking programing as a career (mainly languages like c++) im thinking of free lancing (i heard it isnt as stressful XD)
    What is your geographical location (East Coast, South, MidWest, West Coast)?

Frenzied Member

C++ is an obsolete language that's quickly going extinct, so don't worry about it.

If you're interested in career prospects, make sure that the course you take focuses on an up-and-coming language like Visual FoxPro or SmallTalk.
    (VB/C#) is clearly superior to (C#/VB) because it (has/doesn't have) <insert trivial difference here>.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! mendhak's Avatar

C++ will always be alive! They're even working on a new version called C++0x. Java and .NET are great for application development, but the low-level stuff still needs C++ programmers.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hack
    What is your geographical location (East Coast, South, MidWest, West Coast)?
    east coast

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer
    C++ is an obsolete language that's quickly going extinct, so don't worry about it.

If you're interested in career prospects, make sure that the course you take focuses on an up-and-coming language like Visual FoxPro or SmallTalk.
    i know c++ is old but i see no reason for it to go obsolete. u can pretty much use it for everything. i understand companies r trying to get languages that are more design for the task but for a free lancer i think c++ is choice, c# is also something im thinking of learning as well. any other suggestion for that
    Last edited by Ebiru; Mar 11th, 2008 at 07:32 PM.

Why is that? What'll be taking its place?
    Rate posts that helped you. I do not reply to PM's with coding questions.
    How to Get Your Questions Answered
    Current project: tunaOS
    Me on.. BitBucket, Google Code, Github (pretty empty)

Quote Originally Posted by Atheist
    Why is that? What'll be taking its place?
    C#

Nah but seriously C++ is going to be around for very very long time!

Hey, TS... you forgot the sarcasm tags ...

Any school with a large Science program, or Engineering school would be a good selection. Avoid LibArts colleges if you can... but when it comes right down to it, they all teach pretty much the same. Some are simply better than others. Others, it's a name thing.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Hyperactive Member Arrow_Raider's Avatar

C and C++ will always exist as long as there are computer games, unix, and embedded systems.

And FoxPro? I truly hope that was a joke. FoxPro was a dud when it was released many years ago and is actually dead now. The only use for smalltalk is that the syntax of objective-c(language you use on the mac) was partially based off of smalltalk.
    My monkey wearing the fedora points and laughs at you.

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome
    Any school with a large Science program, or Engineering school would be a good selection
    I agree. Take a look at anything ending with "Tech" - on the East Coast, Virginia Tech springs to mind along with Georgia Tech

You will find most universities/colleges will teach C++ at some point, and Java. I find only a handful (well at least here [Australia]) teach .NET

There may also be the case of C being used depending on the electives or path you take.

Educational systems are always behind the times. It is just the way it is. Learning C++ can provide a good foundation for learning other languages on your own.

Yes, but there are other benefits of going to college besides learning something that can/could be useful in building a career. Education is, and always should be, an end in itself.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hack
    Yes, but there are other benefits of going to college besides learning something that can/could be useful in building a career. Education is, and always should be, an end in itself.
    also should i start with getting some kind of business degree or major or w/e? cause im hearing that programing is what u want but some kind of business will help.

depends on what you want to do .... you could get a Major in Comp Sci and a minor in Business.... or a minor in Management...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

If you are going to study business in college, then make sure you take a bunch of courses in politics.

I am majoring in computer science and minoring in math.

That sounds like a pretty solid academic background for becoming a professional programmer. Are you doing any intern work during the summer?

Me? I've had an internish job for 3.5 years now. I work fulltime durring the summer and breaks between quarters. Durring school quarters, I work part time.

You got an internship?!

Sorry to ask but doing what? I can't find anything here -.-

I work in the IT department and primarily do software development for in-house projects.