Thread: Need basic programming lesson plan

Question Need basic programming lesson plan

Hi good afternoon!

I need to teach someone some basic programming.

Do you have any lesson plans there or links to them?

It will be better if the lesson plan will just be for general programing (no specific language).

Thank you!

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Re: Need basic programming lesson plan

So, you are doing basic programming concepts?

- Hello World
    - Important, language keywords (using, include, etc)
    - Variable and Data Types Introduction
    - Arrays [, pointers and references]
    - Important, language keywords (new, delete, etc)
    - Methods
    - Classes
    - Standard Libraries (CLR, STL, etc) (sometimes bits and pieces are introduced earlier)

At least that's how most of my programming classes have gone.
    KrisSiegel.com - My Personal Website with my blog and portfolio
    Don't Forget to Rate Posts!

Free Icons: FamFamFam, VBCorner, VBAccelerator
    Useful Links: System.Security.SecureString Managed DPAPI Overview Part 1 Managed DPAPI Overview Part 2 MSDN, MSDN2, Comparing the Timer Classes

I'm about to be a PowerPoster!

But kas, those are all language principles.

I would teach abstract programming principles before introducing any languages. Start with the basics: sequence, selection, iteration. Then build on that with a few concepts like functions. Use pseudo-code to go through common algorithms.

And stay away from OO until you have to. OO is of no use to the beginner.

In fact, depending on the frequency of the class..... don't even touch the computers for two weeks.... pen/pencil & paper it through the fundamentals.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by penagate
    But kas, those are all language principles.
    While some of the items I mentioned are language specific, almost all of them can be applied, generically, to almost all languages. I don't see why you wouldn't want to touch on them with some pseudo code.
    KrisSiegel.com - My Personal Website with my blog and portfolio
    Don't Forget to Rate Posts!

Free Icons: FamFamFam, VBCorner, VBAccelerator
    Useful Links: System.Security.SecureString Managed DPAPI Overview Part 1 Managed DPAPI Overview Part 2 MSDN, MSDN2, Comparing the Timer Classes

- Hello World << c'mon.... can't we have a little creativity here? Also, how do you do this in pseudocode?

- Important, language keywords (using, include, etc) << you even included the word "language" in it, and then used language specific keywords in your example. They have no pseudocode equivelent

- Variable and Data Types Introduction << again, you've cited language specific constructs here.

While I'm not trying to discount your list, I question if they should be taught (as laid out in the list - in any order) in the first month.... and Hello World certainly wouldn't be the first thing they learn.

Design concepts, programming methodologies & concepts, logic constructs, FLOWCHARTING, you can never go wrong with flowcharting, not even necessary to use the standard symbols, just be able to draw out the flow of the problem.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Thank you very much everyone for your responses!

I think I will start with flowcharting, because with that, I can measure and build up the logical thinking.

How about some good exercises? Something that can be done in flowchart then transferred to pseudo-code.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by bulletrick

I think I will start with flowcharting, because with that, I can measure and build up the logical thinking.

How about some good exercises? Something that can be done in flowchart then transferred to pseudo-code.

Thank you!
    DSL troubleshooting flowchart Print to a console the outcome of the troubleshooting.. have the console ask the user questions, which in turn follows the "Flowchart" to the conclusion.

chem

Visual Studio 6, Visual Studio.NET 2005, MASM

I think it might be interesting to come up with a problem, and ask the students to construct questions for the user.

For intro to flowcharting - have them flowchart the process of making coffee, or tea... or something not too complex, but mundane...

-tg

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome
    have them flowchart the process of making coffee
    Now this would actually be interesting to look at.

I make coffee (at least two pots) every morning of my life, but I am totally on "auto pilot" when I do so.....I would actually have to stop and think about the steps involved.

That's what makes it so interesting.... The oddest flowchart assignment I've ever had.... tying your shoelaces!

-tg

Quote Originally Posted by bulletrick

Thank you!

An BANK ATM application never fails.

Leave off the database for the meantime.

Initial features:
    1) Log-in with PIN
    2) Withdraw Amount
    3) Inquire Amount

Interweb adm/o/distrator Paul M's Avatar

Start with a simple flowchart showing how to switch tv on or something (sequence). Then maybe something like a bank transaction (selection) and to finish of maybe a loop program or something (repetition).

And a naughts and crosses game as a final quiz or something is always challenging at least for some