Thread: Accessing remote data

PowerPoster

Accessing remote data

Is there a way that someone who is away from the office could run an app created using VB .Net on there laptop that accesses the database thats on the file server back at the office. I mean, how would you set the path to the database. I know you can use something like Citrix to do like a remote desktop but the app would be running on the server and I was hoping to run the app on the laptop and just access the data from the server. there is probably more than one way to do this but I've no experience with this situation. The server is a Windows 2008 and they do have Citrix.

any information or advice will be appreciated

Re: Accessing remote data

The options include:
    • some kind of remote access system, such as a VPN or Citrix
    • if the database is server based (such as SQL Server etc) rather than file based (such as .mdb etc), you might be able to enable remote connections for it (but that is a big security risk).
    • you could create a web service to communicate between the app and the database.

As you have Citrix set up already, that would be the easiest solution... and if the app makes frequent and/or large requests of the database, it will probably be the best too (because it dramatically reduces network load, thus increases speed).

PowerPoster

si,

So, are you saying, that thru Citrix I can have a mapped path to the file server data which I can use in my connection string in the app that's on the laptop? I guess maybe I should do some research on the Citrix website?

thanks for the reply

The app running on Citrix will act as an app running on the network, so you can connect to the database in the usual way, except that it will probably be a different Windows account running the program, thus needing slight modifications to the permissions on the DB.

PowerPoster

Si,
    Sorry I'm so dense on this subject, but it sounds like your saying the app will be running on the network and you would be accessing it remotely thru Citrix. I was hoping to install the app and any supporting files like Crystal Report runtime or SQL Express on the laptop and only access the office file server to retrieve/save data to the database. Maybe that's what your saying and I'm just not understanding you correctly. My goal is to use as little of the file server resources as possible. Also I'm worried about having the supporting files/programs on the file server.

thanks for the reply

btw - This is not my office and I'm not involve in there network setup or maintenance. I wrote a large app for them in VB6 several years ago. It is a single user app that has been completely running on a stand alone pc. Now there talking about moving the data the a file server so certain people can access the data. they wont be using the VB6 app, I'm plainning on writing something in VB .Net 2010. It will be a small app and the db access will be limited to just a few tables.
    Last edited by wes4dbt; Aug 28th, 2012 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    it sounds like your saying the app will be running on the network and you would be accessing it remotely thru Citrix.
    Correct.
    I was hoping to install the app and any supporting files like Crystal Report runtime or SQL Express on the laptop and only access the office file server to retrieve/save data to the database.
    Apart from minimising server resources (which probably isn't a big deal), what are your reasons for that?

Trying to deal with the extra steps you intend and the complications they bring can be very troublesome, and it probably isn't worth it.

One such issue is that having a copy of the data means that data changed by one person will not necessarily becoming visible to others as quickly as expected, thus dramatically more potential for multiple "simultaneous" updates of the same data (and significantly more complication in how you can deal with it).

Things like Citrix are certainly not a holy grail (and come with their own problems), but from what I understand of the situation, it sounds like that is probably the best way to go - unless you do a web-based app (assuming there is safe way for the remote users to access the network).

PowerPoster

si,
    Besides saving resources, I guess my biggest reason for not running the app itself on the file server is that I think I would have to rely on the company they use to setup and maintain their network to install and setup the supporting files/processes for the app. This is a small business and they have no inhouse computer support people. Also, a lack of experience in running an app in this manner gives me an uneasy feeling. I'm fairly sure I can make it work but I like to be 100% prepared when I go to a clients office an setup an app. I have always just had the db on the server and install the app on the work stations.

Thanks for your input, it does ease some of my worries.

Some of my apps have run on Citrix, but I've never actually installed anything on Citrix myself... but from what I've been told, it is virtually the same as installing on a normal workstation.

It is... you log in as an administrator.... install the app, be sure to make sure you use the "For Everyone" option and not the "Just Me" one... and that (barring a couple of small instances, like if Crystal Reports is needed) is all there is to it.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

techgnome,

What if Crystal Reports is needed? Is that a problem? Usually I set "SAP crystal Reports runtime engine for .Net framework" as a Prerequisite and when I publish the app, it is installed when I run "setup". Would it be better to create rdlc reports and use Reportviewer? The remote users probably wont be printing reports but you never know what a client might want.

Thanks for the reply

I don't know if it still holds true. I jsut know that about 10 years back when we had a client trying to install our app on a Citrix server, there was a problem with the install of Crystal Reports... If I remember right, it has to do with CR wanting to install into its own directory that pulls it outside of the virtualized session, making it invisible to users. We eventually found a whitepaper on it, along with a solution to copy the files to a specific location. I don't know if it's still a problem or not. if you google Ctrix Crystal Reports install you may be able to find it.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

technome,
    Good idea, I'll give that a try.

Thanks