dcsimg

Thread: [RESOLVED] ipconfig is blank?

Resolved [RESOLVED] ipconfig is blank?

Hi,

Last night, I had a light flicker at my house, or electrical spike. Not sure what is the best terminology.

Anyways, my PC stayed on, but I lost connection to the internet.

After rebooting serveral times, I still can't connect to the internet.
    All my modem green lights are on, but here is the wierd part...

Check out my Ipconfig....

Code:
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Me>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

C:\Documents and Settings\Me>
    I'm not getting anything for network adapter etc.
    Looks like, I'm either going to have to replace my network card or reinstall the OS.

My theory is that when I was using the internet and the lights flickered, it caused some corruption on my system files that connect to the internet?

I will do some testing tonight to try to isolate the problem. Has anyone ever seen this type of ipconfig? I would expect to at least see a 127.0.0.1 or at least zeros.
    Watch media as you download it! Excellent tool!
    FREE CUBA!
    MyBlog
    If you feel my post has helped, please rate it.

Re: ipconfig is blank?

Well you will get this if you arent connected to the net at all....

however you can still ping 127.0.0.1 if you get successful replies then that means that your network still works and no need to re-install
    Please go to the Thread Tools menu and click Mark Thread Resolved when your post is answered
    If someone helped you today then please consider rating their post.

forget to add, imo you shud always use a surge protector to try and avoid these things from happening (if your not already using it).

Also if the 127.0.0.1 ping failed you could first try uninstalling your network drivers and then restart your pc. It should load up the drivers automatically for ya, update, etc.. then try doing it again. Hopefully this time it shud be fine. This method is certainly easier than reinstalling the whole OS.

By anychance though, if you have other PCs, can they still connect to the net?

Regards,
    Please go to the Thread Tools menu and click Mark Thread Resolved when your post is answered

Quote Originally Posted by Greyskull
    forget to add, imo you shud always use a surge protector to try and avoid these things from happening
    150% agree and contrary to what you might think, surge protectors are not that expensive.

Consider the potential cost of NOT having one.
    Please use [Code]your code goes in here[/Code] tags when posting code.
    When you have received an answer to your question, please mark it as resolved using the Thread Tools menu.
    Before posting your question, did you look here?
    Got a question on Linux? Visit our Linux sister site.
    I dont answer coding questions via PM or EMail. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum section.

Creating A Wizard In VB.NET
    Paging A Recordset
    What is wrong with using On Error Resume Next
    Good Article: Language Enhancements In Visual Basic 2010
    Upgrading VB6 Code To VB.NET
    Microsoft MVP 2005/2006/2007/2008/2009/2010/2011/2012/Defrocked

I've had similar happen. (Nearby lightning). The BIOS could have been screwed up. I ended up removing/unplugging every device for a few seconds. Try unplugging your PC and removing the cmos battery temporarily. You'll have to reconfigure the bios on the next boot.

Whoa...lightening?

I have toasted a number of computers (dropping them, spilling coffee on them, getting hit with a spike surge, fried one hard drive with static electricity (never put your computer on the floor on a rug ) but I've never had one hit by lightening. Wouldn't that fry everything not just the BIOS?
    Please use [Code]your code goes in here[/Code] tags when posting code.
    When you have received an answer to your question, please mark it as resolved using the Thread Tools menu.
    Before posting your question, did you look here?
    Got a question on Linux? Visit our Linux sister site.
    I dont answer coding questions via PM or EMail. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum section.

Creating A Wizard In VB.NET
    Paging A Recordset
    What is wrong with using On Error Resume Next
    Good Article: Language Enhancements In Visual Basic 2010
    Upgrading VB6 Code To VB.NET
    Microsoft MVP 2005/2006/2007/2008/2009/2010/2011/2012/Defrocked

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Hack
    Whoa...lightening?

I have toasted a number of computers (dropping them, spilling coffee on them, getting hit with a spike surge, fried one hard drive with static electricity (never put your computer on the floor on a rug ) but I've never had one hit by lightening. Wouldn't that fry everything not just the BIOS?
    Welp ...

A direct strike would fry everything - computer, room, house ...

An induced spike from a nearby strike could toast the CMOS chip, or a modem or some other single component, without causing any other damage. Which is why it's so foolish (not to mention dangerous) to assume that we really understand anything about lightning. Unipotentially ground everything, protect everything else and make sure your insurance policies are up to date and paid. That last one is about the only thing we can really control.
    The most difficult part of developing a program is understanding the problem.
    The second most difficult part is deciding how you're going to solve the problem.
    Actually writing the program (translating your solution into some computer language) is the easiest part.

Please indent your code and use [HIGHLIGHT="VB"] [/HIGHLIGHT] tags around it to make it easier to read.

Please Help Us To Save Ana

Nearby lightening . By nearby I mean < 2 miles. It struck a house and destroyed the roof +++. (No one at home at the time). I had a telephone modem plugged in at the time. The modem and, wierdly, a dvd drive "disappeared". Not recognised anywhere. Basically, I disconnected ever cable and removed every card, removed the cmos battery. Rebuilt it, one bit at a time, rebooting at each stage - all OK eventually. Ironically, 3 months later the PSU failed. You can't win 'em all.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolbusdriver
    Nearby lightening . By nearby I mean < 2 miles. It struck a house and destroyed the roof +++. (No one at home at the time).
    whew, i was going to say you were lucky that it only damaged a few devices and bios and not your whole house. As for your nearby neighbours i guess i could say dat was kinda lucky that no-one was around...

Thanks for your help. To fix my problem I did the following...

Clicked on start, settings, control panel, double click system, then clicked on the hardware tab, then click on the device manager button, The network adapter tree was expanded, and had an red x next to... Intel(R) PRO/1000MT Network Connection. I right clicked on it, and selected enabled. Looks like the power flickers disabled my network adapter.

lol, I know I sound like a robot with the whole left click here, double click here description, but I thought I be very detailed in case "network noob" like me has this problem and finds this thread. :-)

Also, I have a surge protector, but what I was thinking of buying was a battery backup, in case the lights go out, I have time to give my PC a clean shut down. There are very expensive though. :-(
    Watch media as you download it! Excellent tool!
    FREE CUBA!
    MyBlog
    If you feel my post has helped, please rate it.