dcsimg

Thread: very very odd network problem

very very odd network problem

I'm PUZZLED, read below please
    -every now and then IE and Firefox are unable to browse websites (as though there is no connection... loading any website will immediately fail)
    -When this happens, other internet-bound programs continue to work fine (i listen to live stream of music, and i continue to chat online)
    -Pinging certain popular websites like yahoo and google fails (cannot find host), while certain websites that I have visited recently ping fine.
    -While pinging yahoo.com on my computer fails, I tried to use the router ping utility and it seemed to work fine
    -so far i have only noticed this problem with the HTTP protocol
    -the problem usually goes away within a minute.... sometimes happens again within 5 minutes!

-I'm on wireless G, using a Linksys WRT54G router.
    -I'm thinking this can't be a wireless interference, because otherwise other applications would fail as well
    -I was also thinking that the router might be messing up with it's DNS cache, but that couldn't be the case either, because the router's ping tool works and windows ping on my computer doesn't work for certain websites

ANY ideas?
    Last edited by MrPolite; Jan 29th, 2008 at 11:48 PM.
    rate my posts if they help ya!
    Extract thumbnail without reading the whole image file: (C# - VB)
    Apply texture to bitmaps: (C# - VB)
    Extended console library: (VB)
    Save JPEG with a certain quality (image compression): (C# - VB )
    VB.NET to C# conversion tips!!

Re: very very odd network problem

When it happens, can you ping those sites (or connect to them) via the IP address?

If you can, then it would seem to be a DNS issue (I presume your router has it's own DNS cache).

hmm brilliant... i only could test it once
    but if i did it right, it's the DNS that cannot be resolved
    but why ?
    the router's ping utility works fine, so on the router's end the DNS cache should be working fine
    why wouldnt the DNS map correctly when I'm on my computer?!!!
    i cant think of any reason why the local dns cache would become invalid periodically

edit: problem persists with wired connection on this same computer
    Last edited by MrPolite; Jan 31st, 2008 at 12:03 AM.
    rate my posts if they help ya!
    Extract thumbnail without reading the whole image file: (C# - VB)
    Apply texture to bitmaps: (C# - VB)
    Extended console library: (VB)
    Save JPEG with a certain quality (image compression): (C# - VB )
    VB.NET to C# conversion tips!!

Many routers have a DNS cache, and presumably keep it full even if they cannot reach a DNS server to verify that it is still valid.

I'm not sure how/where to check, but it is possible that your computer is set to not keep a cache, and therefore requires an active DNS server.

Assuming that both of the above are true in your case, I would think that the DNS server is refusing to reply to you at that time. I'm not an expert on this, so hopefully somebody with more knowledge will reply soon.

PowerPoster

What are you using for DNS on your computer? Your router's address or your provider's DNS server's address? The router can use either, but if the computer is pointed at your provider's server, it won't use the router if the provider's server fails temporarily.
    The most difficult part of developing a program is understanding the problem.
    The second most difficult part is deciding how you're going to solve the problem.
    Actually writing the program (translating your solution into some computer language) is the easiest part.

Please indent your code and use [HIGHLIGHT="VB"] [/HIGHLIGHT] tags around it to make it easier to read.

Please Help Us To Save Ana

Cox is my ISP and their DNS servers suck... Every once in a while, those servers are down for no reason. So I decided to try those public DNS servers, and to my supprise, they are much faster and more reliable than my IPS's. My favorite ones are from OpenDNS:
    You can Google for free public dns and theere are tons of them out there to pick from if you're not happy with the dns servers your isp provides.

DNS uses UDP, which when there are communication problems is more likely to fail. You are likely to expecrience a slow than usualy resolution before it fails completely; but instant failure is more unusual.

Some home routers do however have a tendancy to fire their own address back when a DNS lookup fails. Windows does have a DNS cahce and it cna be flushed using: ipconfig /flushdns.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrPolite
    -While pinging yahoo.com on my computer fails, I tried to use the router ping utility and it seemed to work fine
    Disable your firewall and enable DMZ. DMZ settings will be in your router, this will leave your pc vulnerable to hackers, so dont use it as a permament solution if it works.

If its only started happening recently try system restore.
    If your question is answered then mark your thread RESOLVED and give credit to whoever answered it.

If you fail, try and try again, its the only way to success.