dcsimg

Thread: Multiple IP addresses and Modem / Router

Multiple IP addresses and Modem / Router

Our new site at work has one 8MB ADSL link for 50 people (go figure ). That aside it would be nice to get it working at least. Our super fast lines won't be ready until mid February.

Until then we have a business braodband contract with a block of 5 IP addresses. Because we are awaiting the lines which can be linked to our globel network, it will be necessary to set up a site to site VPN link via one of the firewalls in the mean time. The only device we have to carry out the ADSL side of things is a BT Voyger 200 Modem / Router and a similar model D-Link.

The problem is - we need the modem to connect several additional servers including a VPN firewall (static IP required) with public IP addresses from our assigned block. Because the modem is also a router it wants to route between two networks and also seems to only like to route packets that originate from a private subnet.

Logic would dictate that a router will not route packets to the same subnet but if anyone knows any tricks to do this with a modem/router please speak. I would also like to run the following by you all for verification as this is what I plan to suggest to our IT guy:
    1. Purchase an internal / external ADSL modem which can make a direct connection but not route anything.

2. Connect the device to one of our servers and bridge the connection onto another port (leading to a switch) - we can use our webserver I think although enabling a firewall would be desirable (don't ask ).

3. Connect the other devices with their preconfigured static IP addresses.

4. Hope for the best.

I have constructed the diagram below - if any of you see any problems with this please tell me. The IT guy is bigger than me .

Code:
    [CORP NETWORK]\\\\VPN\\\\ <-- WWW --ADSL--||BRIDGE||-- SERVER1 (xxx.xxx.xxx.xx1) 
                                   ^           |
                                   |           |----------- SERVER 2 (xxx.xxx.xxx.xx2)
                                   |           |----------- VPN Firewall (xxx.xxx.xxx.xx3)
                                   |////VPN////|----------- SERVER 3 (xxx.xxx.xxx.xx4)
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || Click || Slap ILMV || 1337 c0d || GotoMyPc For FREE! Part 1, Part 2

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax * Xslt | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Latest quote: crptcblade - VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.

Random VisualAd: Blog - Latest Post: When the Internet becomes Electricity!!

Spread happiness and joy. Rate good posts.

PowerPoster

Re: Multiple IP addresses and Modem / Router

ADSL modem (NOT routing modem) to a switch or hub with 5 (or more) ports.

Use one port for each of your IP addresses - either directly to a server or to a router to serve a number of desktops.

There are better ways but that's the simplest way.
    The most difficult part of developing a program is understanding the problem.
    The second most difficult part is deciding how you're going to solve the problem.
    Actually writing the program (translating your solution into some computer language) is the easiest part.

Please indent your code and use [HIGHLIGHT="VB"] [/HIGHLIGHT] tags around it to make it easier to read.

Please Help Us To Save Ana

In the end they found that we already had which would allow you to set a public subnet for your the LAN. The company didn't want to buy any new devices. We were given a bridging modem by BT but it insisted that it assigned all public addresses via DHCP and that it broadcasted a windows name. The CISCO router had a static IP address and didn't braadcast a name via SMB, so it blocked it.
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || Click || Slap ILMV || 1337 c0d || GotoMyPc For FREE! Part 1, Part 2

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax * Xslt | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Latest quote: crptcblade - VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.

Have you any examples of these non-routing ADSL modems?